KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

+7
Feather
Whiskers
OreoCat85
Jamboree
Stardust
Kitkat
Curious
11 posters

Books

Curious
    Curious

Books Empty Books

Post by Curious Fri 13 May 2016, 03:32

Though theres lots to read online, I still like to hold a book in my hand, we have a thread about videos, I thought we could have one on books that have given us knowledge about Spirituality.

I nominate books by Brian Weiss M.D.happyheart
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Books Empty Re: Books

Post by Kitkat Fri 13 May 2016, 10:48

It's a nice idea for a new ongoing thread, Curious, but (imo) one that I think would really be more at home on the Light After Life forum - for instance, it would slot in nicely somewhere in one of the sub-forums in this section:
    http://lightafterlife.freeforums.org/paranormal-experiences-research-f9.html

Something more general here (Krazy Kats) under the subject of Books might be more approachable - like {What book(s) are you reading now / have you read / recommend ? ...} or something along similar lines.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Fri 03 Jun 2016, 15:06

I'm devouring all the books by Arnaldur Indridason that I can, even those I read before in the past.
    Info here: http://www.crimefictionlover.com/2014/01/a-guide-to-arnaldur-indridasons-detective-erlendur/

There are still some I've not been able to get hold of yet. What can be annoying is to discover I'm reading one that was published before the last one I read, so it's a bit like going backwards.

Great author - recommended to anyone who likes crime novels. Sherlock
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Wed 08 Jun 2016, 04:44

Stardust wrote:I'm devouring all the books by Arnaldur Indridason that I can

I do enjoy a good mystery/crime read, but up until reading Stardust's post had never heard of Arnaldur Indridason. Thanks for the link Stardust. Looks interesting. I'll keep a lookout for the author in future, though unlike Curious (nice to 'meet' you BTW Curious wave ) IMO Kindle is the best thing to happen since sliced bread. I'm continuously on the move with my work and often find myself stranded in some distant place, far away from civilization where a person would be hard done by to find a loaf of sliced bread, let alone a decent read. For practical reasons I also have to travel light, and so wherever I find myself I can carry hundreds of books with me available to read at a click.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 08 Jun 2016, 17:06

Intriguing, Jamboree... are you Bear Grylls?   Sherlock   jocolor

The basic characters recur in the Erlendur books by Arnaldur Indridason, so if you want to follow their ongoing story it's best to read in the correct order (which I didn't). I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I do. Happy reading.
    sunny
    OreoCat85
    OreoCat85

Job/hobbies : Housekeeping Assistant

Post by OreoCat85 Thu 25 Aug 2016, 13:50

At present I am currently onto the second book of the Divergent Trilogy! Insurgent!

I started reading this the day of my Laparoscopy last August! Then after the aftermath of my operation I couldn't read anything. I've posted about it in the health section of the forum (That's if you wish to read! Don't have too, but it's there!)

This is the books: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FAI7S16/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:28

Just unearthed my old school version of Wind in the Willows. Thats what I am reading now and enjoying it better than first time round.
    OreoCat85
    OreoCat85

Job/hobbies : Housekeeping Assistant

Post by OreoCat85 Wed 07 Sep 2016, 13:15

Whiskers wrote:Just unearthed my old school version of Wind in the Willows.  Thats what I am reading now and enjoying it better than first time round.

You have a whole different take on it?  Now that your older?
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Mon 12 Sep 2016, 14:19

EndoWarriror wrote:
    Whiskers wrote:Just unearthed my old school version of Wind in the Willows.  Thats what I am reading now and enjoying it better than first time round.

You have a whole different take on it?  Now that your older?

Exactly.  And I can even relate some of the characters now to people I know or have known in my life! giggle
    Paints a whole new picture for me.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Books Empty Obooko - free ebooks

Post by Kitkat Sun 30 Oct 2016, 15:09

I just discovered this site and looking forward to having a good search through the titles.

Looks like there could be something for everyone in there.  :thumb:

Obooko

An online library of quality free ebooks in a wide range of genres and subjects

link   http://www.obooko.com/
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Books Empty Gizmo's Freeware

Post by Kitkat Sun 30 Oct 2016, 15:25

Here is another site (with an even wider of choice of free online reading):

Gizmo's Freeware

This is a listing of 346 sites that legally offer free books for reading online without download and without registration.  The sites listed here may offer downloads, but also offer all of their free ebooks for reading online.

link  http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-books-read-online
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 30 Oct 2016, 15:36

And this excellent site, E-Book Friendly, not only lists the 10 most popular and trusted sites where you can read books online - but also goes on to explain in detail (for those who may be new to the idea, and a bit wary of it) how to use the sites and get the best out of them to suit your needs.

EBOOK FRIENDLY

link http://ebookfriendly.com/sites-where-you-can-read-books-online/
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon 14 Nov 2016, 16:59

I agree with Curious, I'd much rather have the paper version.

A book in the hand is worth two online. purr
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Mon 14 Nov 2016, 17:44

I used to think that way, Stardust, but I do my reading when I go to bed so find some books too heavy.I like my Kindle.I've been reading about The Romanovs, Queen Victoria and her issue---all of them---and am still finding new ones.I'm waiting for two books to be published, the third one of Robert Goddard's trilogy and Sue Grafton's private detective novel, "X" in her alphabet series. I love mysteries but often find that what I order turns out to be a vicious, bloodthirsty and graphically violent crime novel. Younger writers seem to be obsessed with gore. At the moment I'm reading about Marina, Duchess of Kent, who was widowed young when her husband, the then Duke of Kent died in a plane crash near Berriedale in the north of Scotland during WW2. There is still a bit of a mystery surrounding that crash.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon 14 Nov 2016, 18:07

I'm not so much into the serious subjects, though the one about Marina, Duchess of Kent, sounds interesting.

I prefer crime novels and the Scandinavian ones are not so full of gore.

I love Sue Grafton's alphabet series too and I've read many, but far from having them all. I just looked to see if I have X but I can't find where I put that series (it's full of books all over the place here).

I just finished "The Gift of Darkness" by Valentina Giambanco. chair

You can read a free exclusive ebook-only standalone preview to The Gift of Darkness, a perfect introduction to the critically acclaimed Detective Alice Madison series, which you can download onto your Kindle, Feather.

"First Watch": An exclusive prequel short story to "The Gift of Darkness" (free Kindle edition):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Watch-exclusive-prequel-Darkness-ebook/dp/B00CU7GIR0
    lar-lar
    lar-lar

Post by lar-lar Wed 16 Nov 2016, 10:15

I usually have a book on the go. My favourite books over the last couple of years have been Nelson Mandela's autobiography and this one :  

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/901570.An_Evil_Cradling
    Stardust
    Stardust

Books Empty "Proof of Heaven" by Eben Alexander III, M.D.

Post by Stardust Wed 15 Feb 2017, 10:55

I wanted to post this on LAL in the NDE thread but I can't get in there this morning so I'll put it here instead.

This isn't a new book, it's 5 years old so maybe it's already been mentioned elsewhere here. I came across an old Newsweek article about it:
    http://europe.newsweek.com/proof-heaven-doctors-experience-afterlife-65327?rm=eu

Short pitch: When a neurosurgeon found himself in a coma, he experienced things he never thought possible - a journey to the Afterlife.

"Proof of Heaven"

Eben Alexander, M.D.
    Published by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Copyright (c) 2012 by Eben Alexander III, M.D.

YouTube interview here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCRwuJoQAZg

Official site: http://www.ebenalexander.com/

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 15 Feb 2017, 13:41

Stardust wrote:I wanted to post this on LAL in the NDE thread but I can't get in there this morning so I'll put it here instead.

"Proof of Heaven"
    Eben Alexander, M.D.

Hi Stardust

There is already a piece on Dr Eben Alexander and his book about his experiences on LAL.  Smile
    You can read about it here  arrow   http://lightafterlife.freeforums.org/proof-of-heaven-dr-eben-alexander-t941.html

ETA:  Hmm - seems all the FreeForums are experiencing problems again today.  Was slow loading for me, though I could get in - eventually.  Just had a look at the Support Forum.  Few reports there this morning:

Response is terrible again on both my board and this support site.
    My board is experiencing incomplete page loads.
    About 3 1/2 hours ago both my site and this support site were totally gone.

Posting this was a real challenge as well.

When I try to reach my forum's board index, or any post, I get the following general error. I'm logged in. Oddly, the "View Active Topics" page loads okay, but most of the forum fails, including the portal page.

General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

and some others in the same vein.

And the Isitdownrightnow site shows this message:
    Freeforums.org is DOWN for everyone.
    It is not just you. The server is not responding...
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 15 Feb 2017, 16:37

Thanks for the info Kitkat.

When I read the piece in the 2012 Newsweek I thought I'd already seen it somewhere but couldn't find it here and, obviously, couldn't get into LAL to check there. Thanks for the link, I'll look it up once the site is up and running again.

For myself, I find Alexander's description unappealing, so I wanted feedback. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for in your link on LAL.

Thanks again. happyheart
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Books Empty A Man Called Ove

Post by Kitkat Sat 01 Jul 2017, 14:23

Currently reading 'A Man Called Ove' - novel by Swedish author, Fredrik Backman.
    Ove is the quintessential angry old man next door. An isolated retiree with strict principles and a short fuse, who spends his days enforcing block association rules that only he cares about, and visiting his wife's grave, Ove has given up on life. After a boisterous young family moves in next door and accidentally flattens Ove's mailbox, an unlikely friendship forms.

I had already read another book by Fredrik Backman, 'Britt-Marie Was Here' (recommended to me by bimbow) and enjoyed it so much that I had to search out Fredrik Backman's other books.

Enjoying 'A Man Called Ove' so much, that I'm going to see the film on Monday.
    (Movie released in UK cinemas yesterday: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/film/a-man-called-ove-review/ ).
    Violetta.Grish
    Violetta.Grish

Post by Violetta.Grish Sat 07 Oct 2017, 07:41

Go to the library for books on how to embroider. 

That was how I started after a few years I changed to counted cross stitch. The reason was I found cross stitch more versatile and it has developed over the years. 

Source(s):
    https://statree.com/business-books-for-entrepreneur/
    loner55
    loner55

Post by loner55 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:30

I'm still a big fan of "traditional" books although I have read a few ebooks recently on my phone. I just like the feeling of them in my hands and actually turning the page. I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale and it's great so far. If you're into dystopian themes, you should check that one out. It's a classic imo
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Fri 09 Feb 2018, 16:11

I'm currently reading some of the Anne Perry books that were missing in my collection and that I've managed to find recently. Trouble is, some of them were written before those I'd read previously so it's like having flashbacks.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Books Empty Psychic Barber Gordon Smith

Post by Stardust Fri 23 Mar 2018, 18:35

Thanks to Kitkat on LAL and the "Psychic News" thread with their March 2018 cover (Animal magic with medium Gordon Smith) I was looking him up here but couldn't find anything (?!).
    shrug

So I looked up a list of his books on Amazon, here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gordon-Smith/e/B001K8ZDSK

I've been out of the loop too long, I didn't know he'd written books with animals. A trip to WHS asap is definitely on my agenda.

purr
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 24 Mar 2018, 16:48

Stardust wrote:Thanks to Kitkat on LAL and the "Psychic News" thread with their March 2018 cover (Animal magic with medium Gordon Smith) I was looking him up here but couldn't find anything (?!).
    shrug

Someone asked me recently would I not consider amalgamating the two forums (KKs and LAL) into one single forum, with membership covering all at registration.  Practically, it could be done but I think by doing so the main purpose and character of both would be lost.  They are two very different forums, each with its own purpose.  
    As it is, each one is instantly accessed through the other - literally just a click away, without leaving the forum that you are in - the only difference being that separate membership and login is required for anyone wishing to join in the posting on either one.
    KishoreValavan

Books Empty Best sites to download books online for free

Post by KishoreValavan Sat 04 May 2019, 12:42

Hello friends,

I have just started adopting the habit of reading books. The one i like is The Secret By Rhonda Byrne. 
    Can some of you suggest me some best books to read. In turn, You can read this to download books for free from here.(http://librarygenesisdownload.com/free-sites-where-you-can-read-books-for-free/)
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 05 May 2019, 19:16

Hi KishoreValavan. wave   Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing that very useful link. tacat
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Fri 17 May 2019, 03:07

Finally succumed to the lure of the Kindle.  I wouldn't be without it now!  Never thought I'd see the day.
    Anyone else here use Kindle?

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024, 04:40