KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

3 posters

Anti-War songs throughout the ages

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Anti-War songs throughout the ages Empty Anti-War songs throughout the ages

Post by Kitkat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 12:30

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

This beautiful but sad song has been covered by many, but the first time I heard it, it was Liam Clancy's moving rendition - and this is my favourite version:

(Not all versions carry the wording "then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over head ..." ) giggle

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Anti-War songs throughout the ages Empty Re: Anti-War songs throughout the ages

Post by Kitkat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 12:47

The Green Fields of France

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 23:05

The Universal Soldier

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 23:20

Danny Boy

This one has very special extra meaning for me ... it was my mother's favourite song (sung at her funeral and also at her sister's, my Aunty Nora - the whole church joined in and was in floods of tears) - including the priest (a South African guy who had never heard the song before!)

Countless people have covered this song - one of my personal favourites being Elvis Presley ...
    but listening to this voice I think has got to be the most beautiful rendition I have ever heard - not least because it sounds just exactly like my mother's voice when she sang the song.  sadd

Elvis singing Danny Boy:

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Mon 25 Apr 2016, 19:29

Your mother must of had a beautiful singing voice KK.  happyheart

Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Mon 25 Apr 2016, 23:32

I've always liked that song, I didn't realize it was an anti war song.

I like Bob Dylans Eve of Destruction.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 26 Apr 2016, 14:13

Curious wrote:I like Bob Dylans Eve of Destruction.

I love all Bob Dylan's stuff.  :thumb:   Not heard him doing this one, but it definitely has his style and influence.  Did he record it on an album before Barry Maguire's version became a hit?

The song was written in 1964(?) by a young student called Phil Sloan (who was influenced by people like Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie).   Singer Barry Maguire brought it to the notice of the world - and how!

Here's Barry Maguire's version:

And here are some interesting facts about the song, including comments from Phil Sloan:
    http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=799
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 26 Apr 2016, 17:20

Another favourite of mine ...

Brothers in Arms

Dire Straits singing it live at Wembley in 1985 for the Live Aid Concert.  (I have the whole of that Concert recorded on a number of VHS tapes (but nothing to play them on right now).  I would have given anything to have been at Wembley for that legendary experience, but as it was it was televised live and I was busy at home watching and recording it at the same time.  I lived not too far away from Wembley (still do), and at times could actually hear strains on the wind of some of the music and cheers coming across the airwaves.

Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Thu 28 Apr 2016, 01:42

I'm not sure when Dylan first recorded it,it was on an album, he credited P.Sloan 

I love Dire Straits, you're coming up with some good ones.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 28 Apr 2016, 22:49

The first vinyl record I ever bought (and almost wore it out with playing over and over).  It was actually a 45 EP, with 'Mrs Robinson' and 'April Come She Will' on the A side - and 'Scarborough Fair / Canticle' and 'Sound of Silence' on the B side. (1968).  All tracks included in the film 'The Graduate'.

'Sound of Silence' was widely thought at the time to be a powerful anti-war statement relating to the Vietnam War (and for that reason I'm including it here), but in fact it was really about man's inability to communicate with his fellow man.

"We have people unable to touch other people, unable to love other people.
    This is a song about the inability to communicate."
    – Paul Simon

And that after all is not so far away from the concept of war ........

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sun 01 May 2016, 19:04

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 02:35