KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

UK-Skeptics

Kitkat

UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Empty Re: UK-Skeptics

Post by Kitkat Mon 16 May 2011, 12:30

John wrote:Well I wasn't sure whether you'd be interested, particularly as I'll be implementing a system of forum apartheid against believers in superstitions such as mediumship. Wink

Don't start me off. judge woohoo
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 14:24

UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Grin UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Grin UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Grin

I'm really enjoying watching how the SL inmates are trying to preserve their belief system by denying the facts.

Cognitive dissonance in action. UK-Skeptics - Page 2 631737971
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Mon 16 May 2011, 15:15

I believe you. You would enjoy that. I don't take much part in those discussions any more but sometimes I can't stop myself.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 16:27

I did offer up a very reasonable definition of mental mediumship and I did post a thread outlining the scope of superstition but it seems that everyone missed them (or is ignoring them more like).

However, it's of no importance.

You're right though Feather. I really do enjoy watching people's arguments and reasoning. I'm interested in the psychology of thinking (decision making, problem solving, etc.) in itself but also in superstitious thinking (it being an instance of how thinking goes wrong).

One area I would love to expand on is what's generically known as 'discourse analysis'. This is largely about how language is used (usually by examining text/transcripts) as a dynamic way of creating meaning, establishing personal positions etc.

It's all about examining how words, phrases and repertoires are used. It's more qualitative than quantitative but I think it's an excellent tool (or set of tools) for examining the interactions between people and how they make meaning. And yes, it's an ideal tool for examining psychic readings and such like to see where the actual meaning was created and how.

I did a project/dissertation using discourse analysis last year (got an 'A', naturellement UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Cool) and thoroughly enjoyed it (in retrospect!)

Added: I meant to add that studying discourse analysis at a deeper level would be a great way to improve my English.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 16 May 2011, 17:22

John wrote:One area I would love to expand on is what's generically known as 'discourse analysis'. This is largely about how language is used (usually by examining text/transcripts) as a dynamic way of creating meaning, establishing personal positions etc.

It's all about examining how words, phrases and repertoires are used. It's more qualitative than quantitative but I think it's an excellent tool (or set of tools) for examining the interactions between people and how they make meaning. And yes, it's an ideal tool for examining psychic readings and such like to see where the actual meaning was created and how.

That's the sort of thing that I am really interested too. Smile
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Mon 16 May 2011, 22:39

I'd never heard of Discourse Analysis. Would you post an example of it working?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2011, 13:53

Oh, it's a huge topic and very hard to illustrate with small examples. You can do it in several ways: from doing a 'thematic analysis' where you analyse a discussion and look for recurrent themes to analysing individual sentences where each word is analysed.

A textbook example (Edwards, 1999) is the response The Sun newspaper rag made in response to Earl Spencer's laying the blame of Diana's death with the tabloids and the paparazzi they paid. Their editorial included:

"In the depths of his grief, Diana’s brother is entitled to be bitter about her death."

The idea of an analysis on this sentence is to ascertain what The Sun were trying to achieve using the particular words chosen.

Obviously, they are being blamed for contributing to Diana's death but don't want to admit that they were. One way of deflecting such criticism is to put the cause of the opponent's criticism down to emotional factors (an internal attribution) rather than to situational factors (an external attribution).

They achieve this by the use of two words in particular: grief and bitter.

By beginning the sentence with, "In the depths of his grief..." they've set the scene by indicating that it is the grief of Diana's death that motivated Earl Spencer to blame the media; and the ending, "Diana’s brother is entitled to be bitter about her death" also implies an internal, emotional process occurring.

They could just have easily used a word like "angry" to describe his criticism but "angry" implies a situational factor. i.e. He's angry at something for causing Diana's death rather than being bitter about it.

This tactic of deflecting arguments and criticism from opponents is very common. The MO is to suggest that opponents hold the views/criticisms/values/etc. that they do because of some internal psychological conflict. That way, you don't have to acknowledge their position or deal with it.

Coincidentally, or was it synchronicity? UK-Skeptics - Page 2 3392635135 , I was reading Paranormalia earlier (because it's an excellent source of fallacious reasoning) and I came across this response to Hawking's recent statements about God etc.: Fairy stories

Look at the comments section below and look out for those 'deflections' where Hawking's arguments are ignored in favour of attributing a malign psychological state to him via 'remote psychoanalysis'.

The examples on Paranormalia are quite obvious but the power of discourse analysis is that much more subtle versions of the same thing can be picked up by analysing the choice of words. It's not that people sit down and deliberately choose one word over another but when they're defending a position (or whatever) then the selection of words will convey what they really mean. "Diana’s brother is entitled to be bitter about her death" and "Diana’s brother is entitled to be angry about her death" have very different meanings (in this context).

I do have some papers on discourse analysis if anyone wants a copy. (Do we have a hidden area on here where I could upload a document or two?)
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 17 May 2011, 14:31

Certainly is an interesting subject.

John wrote:I do have some papers on discourse analysis if anyone wants a copy. (Do we have a hidden area on here where I could upload a document or two?)

Not as yet (apart from the Test Forum - but stuff automatically gets deleted from there after 7 days).

We can create a forum that will be visible and accessible only to members who are logged in.
    I will get on to it later today (no time just now). I would be interested in seeing those papers on discourse analysis. UK-Skeptics - Page 2 631737971
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 17 May 2011, 17:39

John wrote:(Do we have a hidden area on here where I could upload a document or two?)

Try the Cat Flap - now available. Wink
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2011, 21:20

I'll have a butcher's shortly. UK-Skeptics - Page 2 631737971
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 28 Oct 2011, 21:56

Guest wrote:One area I would love to expand on is what's generically known as 'discourse analysis'. This is largely about how language is used (usually by examining text/transcripts) as a dynamic way of creating meaning, establishing personal positions etc.

It's all about examining how words, phrases and repertoires are used. It's more qualitative than quantitative but I think it's an excellent tool (or set of tools) for examining the interactions between people and how they make meaning.

Feather wrote:I'd never heard of Discourse Analysis. Would you post an example of it working?

A perfect example of discourse analysis to be found in this thread on Spiritlove: UK-Skeptics - Page 2 779656512

http://spiritlove.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2467
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Fri 28 Oct 2011, 22:21

Thanks, kitkat. I understand it to mean the study of the language used in debate/discussion in order to win points, so to speak. The use of techniques such as emotive words etc to press home a point of view in subtle ways etc. Is that right or am I way off? UK-Skeptics - Page 2 2927152478
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 28 Oct 2011, 22:25

Feather wrote:Thanks, kitkat. I understand it to mean the study of the language used in debate/discussion in order to win points, so to speak. The use of techniques such as emotive words etc to press home a point of view in subtle ways etc. Is that right or am I way off? UK-Skeptics - Page 2 2927152478

Well, in my understanding, that is only part of it ... goes a bit deeper than that.

Can you spot the actual *working* examples (there is more than one) in that linked SL thread?
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Fri 28 Oct 2011, 22:31

I would try but I'm tired now and my bed is calling me. I did read it a minute ago but I need to read UC's definition of it again first. I merely skimmed over it before. I love you
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Empty THE HAUNTING OF UK-SKEPTICS !

Post by Kitkat Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:00

LOL - Evidence of Life after Death!!

There's a ghost haunting the old UK-Skeptics forum .... UK-Skeptics - Page 2 592502337

The sceptre of John Jackson has been sighted wandering its deserted grounds ....

This scary sceptre is said to haunt the old premises round about Christmas Time ...

Graham Dare (self-proclaimed UK's top medium, lol) has been brought in to investigate the strange goings-on ....

Dowsing and automatic writing abound?

http://www.ukskeptics.com/forum/showthread.php/983-Graham-Dare-psychic-medium-Predicts-Madeleine-McCann-will-be-found?p=94436#post94436

Researchers are reported to be extremely interested and rushing to the scene of this latest phenomenon.

http://skeps.freeforums.org/post992.html#p992

UK-Skeptics - Page 2 1643738112
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 10 Dec 2011, 15:14

I see Croydon Bob's still in the preoperational stage of cognitive development! UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Grin

So, what could be going on on UKS then? UK-Skeptics - Page 2 Huh

Well, on hearing the news of the UK's #1 medium, I just thought it would be nice to finish the story off.

It's nothing more than that.

It's just that the UKS website and forum still gets several thousand visits per day. i.e. it's a skeptics' website that actually gets read.
    Aussiepom

Job/hobbies : Retired

Post by Aussiepom Sat 07 Jan 2012, 16:16

This sounds interesting.......UK-Skeptics - Page 2 631737971
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 17 Jan 2012, 22:51

KitKat wrote:
    John wrote:I might send you the URL for it but it won't be what you're possibly expecting.

How do you know what I might be expecting?

You just might, eh? Rolling Eyes What does that mean exactly? You mean if we're on good behaviour or something?

Hee-hee ha-ha ho-ho ... UK-Skeptics - Page 2 4030250666 I found it! If Mohammed can't be bothered to come down the mountain .... climb it yourself - and stick a flag on it! I did UK-Skeptics - Page 2 1029721073 (but I'm not telling UK-Skeptics - Page 2 2969143883)

Oh and ... it's exactly as I expected. Wink
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 24 Jan 2012, 23:49

KitKat wrote:Oh and ... it's exactly as I expected. Wink
    Well it's not as was originally intended!

There were several of us going to run it as mainly a daft/fun site but by the time I got it finished, most had drifted away. So it's now basically a test site. But it's still fun.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 02:20