KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Touching image of old man using alarm clock in pub sparks online fury about Ireland's Covid-19 restrictions

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Update Touching image of old man using alarm clock in pub sparks online fury about Ireland's Covid-19 restrictions

Post by Kitkat Tue 08 Sep 2020, 17:40

A heartwarming image of an old man sitting in a pub with an alarm clock has caused much of the the Irish public to slam current Covid-19 restrictions.

The photograph - which was taken in McGuinn's Hop House in Galway - went viral after the pub published it to their Facebook page this week.
    Social media users were quick to pay tribute to the adorable fellow, who had placed an alarm clock on the table, as he ate his meal and sipped from a pint of Guinness, to make sure he didn't stay longer than the 90 minutes government regulations allows him to.
    The image is as sweet as it is sad, and many are now calling for the government to end - or at the very least relax - the maximum time allowances for customers in pubs.
    Tweet  Kieran O'Malley:
    :Left Quotes:  I'm not able.... this little old man has an alarm clock on the table so he doesn't stay over the 90min in McGinns in Galway....
    Touching image of old man using alarm clock in pub sparks online fury about Ireland's Covid-19 restrictions EhVbEUkXgAY3CEl?format=jpg&name=900x900

"We should ask every member of the government to comment on this photograph, and to see what you are doing to elderly people all over the country," wrote one social media user.

"Hit soft targets, ignore the real issues. I hope ye are proud of yourselves."

Another, Karen Murphy, said: "My heart goes out to the older generation, their [sic] living in fear on all levels ... let him enjoy his few pints."

"So wrong on all levels," another added, "I hope he enjoyed his brief respite."

"A picture paints a thousand words - so sad to see this man can't enjoy his few pints without having to worry about the time," tweeted Marianna McGrath.

Kieran O'Malley - who took the original snap - discovered that the gent's name was Finbarr, and said online that he had "dropped a few quid behind the bar for the man ... on behalf of all the lovely people here."
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Update Re: Touching image of old man using alarm clock in pub sparks online fury about Ireland's Covid-19 restrictions

Post by Kitkat Wed 09 Sep 2020, 13:04

alien 
    The elderly Irishman whose photo went viral this week - after he was spotted sitting in a pub with an alarm clock - has admitted he brought it with him so that he'd be "home in time for the news".

John Joe Quinn admits he was amazed to discover he'd become an overnight sensation, after being snapped in McGinn's Hop House in Galway's Woodquay on Monday, enjoying a meal and sipping from a pint of Guinness.
    He had an alarm clock sitting on the table too, and once the photo was posted to Facebook, an outpouring of emotion across the country followed, with many presuming the clock was there so Mr Quinn could make sure he didn't stay beyond the allocated 90 minutes.

Many social media users used the opportunity to criticise the government for their rigourous Covid-19 restrictions, while others used it to highlight the troublesome issue of isolation during the pandemic, but John Joe admitted that he brought the clock with him for a far less selfless reason.
    "I brought the alarm clock with me so I would get home in time to hear the news on RTÉ One at six o'clock," he told the Irish Independent.
    "I always bring the clock with me, I never wear a watch."

Oblivious to his newfound fame, he asked: "How am I famous? Oh yeah, the picture. Will I be on the television next?

"I don't know anything about computers or the internet. I'm an ordinary, plain man.

John Joe, who admitted that he was in his 80s, was told that a number of people had pledged money to the pub for him to enjoy a few pints, and while he admits the gesture was "very kind", he says he wants to pay his own way.

Despite his image being used by many to promote an end to public health restrictions, the pensioner stressed that following the rules is something we all must do.

"To hell with the feckin' pubs, health is more important. I mean, if that (coronavirus) spreads again, we're all in trouble," he said.

"I hope it doesn't. With the kids going to school again, you don't know.

"People need to do what they are told. That's as simple as that."
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Update Re: Touching image of old man using alarm clock in pub sparks online fury about Ireland's Covid-19 restrictions

Post by Whiskers Fri 11 Sep 2020, 12:37

judge  Just shows how one journalists reporting of things can cause fake news and views to spread the world over.
    The covid deniers and protestors have been using this old man and his alarm clock as the face of their campaigning against covid restrictions, when all the time thats not what he is at all.  He agrees with the rules and says that people should abide by them for the health and safety of everyone.  He brings his alarm clock with him bc he doesnt have a watch and just wanted to make sure he got home in time for the news on the television.

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 22:43