KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

The Brazen Bull

Kitkat
    Kitkat

The Brazen Bull Empty The Brazen Bull

Post by Kitkat Fri 31 May 2019, 14:31

OMG - Just been reading today's Article of the Day from the Free Encyclopedia.  I thought first it was going to be an interesting story about Dublin's oldest pub - but realised no, that's the Brazen Head (I've been there - lovely little place, had a couple of memorable sing-song sessions in there also ...) BUT this story, about the Brazen Bull, is a different tale altogether;  rock a sinister and horrifying one which I had not heard tell of before reading this article:
    The Brazen Bull
    The brazen bull is a torture and execution device designed in ancient Greece by Perillos, a brass-founder, for Pharis, the cruel tyrant of Agrigentum, Sicily, who ruled from about 570 to 554 BCE.  Perillos cast a hollow brass bull that had a door on its side allowing the condemned to be placed inside it.  A fire lit beneath the bull would roast the victim alive.  The device was designed so that the victim's screams would sound like the bellowing of a bull.  Who, ironically, was its first victim?  More...
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

The Brazen Bull Empty Re: The Brazen Bull

Post by Whiskers Fri 31 May 2019, 18:40

So glad that we dont live in those barbaric times!

The Brazen Head looks an interesting place to visit. 
    although not to be confused with the Brazen Head in Glasgow.  obgob
    Locals say the Brazen Head reflects their culture, while the police want it closed down. Kenny Farquharson went in search of the truth
    https://medium.com/@KennyFarq/inside-the-gorbals-hardest-pub-111cf5f44e02

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 16:22