KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

Innocent, yer honour !

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Innocent, yer honour ! Empty Innocent, yer honour !

Post by Kitkat Wed 26 Sep 2018, 11:41

Well well ... you learn something every day.

Orange turns purple: Australian scientists solve fruit mystery

Innocent, yer honour ! _103579937_10209192-3x2-940x627

What could cause a freshly sliced orange to suddenly turn purple?

Australian health authorities say they have solved a mystery that prompted much speculation earlier this month.

It began when a Brisbane woman, Neti Moffitt, asked for an investigation into why an orange - partially eaten by her son - had later changed colour.

Scientists have now revealed it was due to a natural reaction between the fruit and a sharpened knife. The orange did not pose a health risk, they added.

Stewart Carswell, Queensland Health's chief chemist, said "numerous tests" were conducted to determine the cause of the colour change.

The results revealed that anthocyanins - a naturally occurring antioxidant in oranges - had reacted with iron particles from the newly sharpened blade, he said.

Ms Moffitt told the BBC that it was "brilliant" have the mystery solved.

The orange turned purple sometime after Ms Moffitt's two-year-old son had eaten a few slices.

"It looks like someone's dipped it on an ink pad, which I guarantee you we haven't," she told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation earlier this month.

"My first thought was I hope it has had no ill effect on my child. But he's fine, absolutely not a drama."

Innocent, yer honour ! LN_681926_BP_11

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 07:16