KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

+3
Pixie
Feather
Umberto Cocopop
7 posters

Unmissable bargain on eBay

Kitkat

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Empty Re: Unmissable bargain on eBay

Post by Kitkat Tue 01 Nov 2011, 18:26

Umberto Cocopop wrote:It's not clear whether Sally will be challenged annually to not turn up or whether they'll challenge other psychics to not turn up each year.

It's apparently going to be an "open shop" to 'psychics' everywhere. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 2969143883

This whole affair is really just one big joke...

Read latest here: http://slsingh.posterous.com/part-2-my-open-reply-to-my-legal-pen-pal-psyc

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1745332345
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 01 Nov 2011, 18:58

KitKat wrote:It's apparently going to be an "open shop" to 'psychics' everywhere. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 2969143883
    Ah ha! I think I've detected a very cunning plan.....

Invite all of the UK's psychics along to be tested and when none of them turn up, the skeptics have proved all the psychics in the UK are fake in one go!

Now that's smart, real smart.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 02 Nov 2011, 14:02

As if the whole challenge idea wasn't stupid enough to begin with, I've now just come across info that shows that some idiots have been publishing personal details about Sally Morgan and her lawyer on Twitter.

See: Hayley Stevens

Are they too thick to work out what this sort of tactic looks like to others?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 02 Nov 2011, 19:41

Just read that link. Yes, I agree with what the blogger is saying ... but in the same breath, something is bothering me. I may be totally off course here, but in the back of my mind I seem to have a vague memory of something very similar to this occurring a few years back ... where a member of one or two skeptic forums (I was reading about it on one of the forums at the time it was happening) ... this member had disclosed personal details about a psychic or alleged 'woo' that they had been pursuing, causing great distress to that person. The skeptic was coming back there and posting threats and innuendos against this person - clearly hoping for backing by her fellow forum members and trying to justify her actions. I remember at the time feeling almost sick to my stomach over this horrid carryon. As I have said, my memory may well be playing tricks on me - my brain may be lying to me (lol), but in my recollection , the culprit there was none other than the author and blogger in that link above(?). No doubt, I will be corrected if someone in the know can say differently (?)
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Thu 03 Nov 2011, 08:46

I can't find anything regarding that KK...

The only thing I can find is a bit of a hoo ha over some cat hair (leopard I think) where the person was questioning Hayley's objectivity. She has been accused of being a 'cyber bully' something which she denies. I do find her online persona to be rude at times....and contradicting.

Arrogance is boring

It annoys me to no end when people make a conversation or a situation all about themselves, they hi-jack something with their sense of self importance and you are supposed to be interested despite the fact that there are bigger issues at hand. I mean, seriously, is humanity really that ego driven that every tiny little thing has to suddenly become about certain people and how very wonderfully clever/special/gifted/young/creative/powerful/right they are

Hayley's Blog

http://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/

Erm....you write a blog love.Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971

In fact I have decided to stop using twitter and facebook for a while because the way people behave and talk and show off is really quite depressing. I don’t have time for my own drama – why the hell would I have time for anyone elses?Especially when it’s usually so superifical?

YOU WRITE A BLOG which is crammed with your opinions, your rants, what you are havin for tea, how many letters of complaint you have written, being a veg, Facebook status's which annoy you, everything else what annoys you. Do a count on how many times the letter I is used in the context of 'me'!!! FFS

She can't hog up cyberspace banging her own drum and then whinge about other people talking about themselves. Silly mare.Rolling Eyes

Shameful I say...shameful

Is it me?Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3929217648
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 03 Nov 2011, 09:02

This was long before she had a Blog. I would like to be wrong in this instance (but don't think I am). To give her the benefit of the doubt here, perhaps she has learned through her own experience and that's why she feels so strongly now about the matter.
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Thu 03 Nov 2011, 09:22

KitKat wrote:This was long before she had a Blog. I would like to be wrong in this instance (but don't think I am). To give her the benefit of the doubt here, perhaps she has learned through her own experience and that's why she feels so strongly now about the matter.

Maybe so KK but maybe it would be an idea for her to acknowledge her past mistakes (if this is the case) to show this understanding?Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3392635135

Internet comments (especially forums) have a habit of disappearing unless you are quick (as she was with a bloke on Facebook) and take a screen shot.Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 03 Nov 2011, 09:36

Unless it was on UKS, I wouldn't know.

Skepticism, to me, has taken several steps backwards in the last few years. There's little or no thought going into anything - all they're doing in copying what Randi has done in the past (silly stunts, pointless challenges, etc.)

However, although I don't really know Hayley at all, I find her to be a breath of fresh air when it comes to 'grass-roots skepticism'. I've seen her comment on a few things and she's quite prepared to look at what skeptics are doing and question and criticise it as well as doing the same for other ideas.

I'm sure she'll have made mistakes in the past but overall, skepticism would be in a better state if a few more of them were like Hayley.

There's too much group mentality in skepticism. If you don't toe-the-line then you're not 'one of us'; but their myopic, egocentric view of how to do things is not good. Things like unquestioning support for whatever they do is not what skepticism should be about - they need more people like Hayley but don't realise it.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:02

There's also an interesting exchange on the JREF forum here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=7723564#post7723564

Look at the sort of pillocks who get excited by this sort of confrontational challenge. Is this really critical thinking in action? Is this sort of thinking and behaviour likely to 'educate' believers?

If I was a leader in the skeptical community, I'd be very concerned that we were attracting in such mindless hotheads.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:09

Umberto Cocopop wrote:Unless it was on UKS, I wouldn't know.

It was! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1074908227

That is where I read it. She was flitting between UKS and an obscure site called Bad Psychics, lol. I believe the main details of the story were over on Bad Psychics, but this was before I had ventured to knock on their door (innocent angel that I was).
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:31

Pixie wrote:
    KitKat wrote:This was long before she had a Blog. I would like to be wrong in this instance (but don't think I am). To give her the benefit of the doubt here, perhaps she has learned through her own experience and that's why she feels so strongly now about the matter.

Maybe so KK but maybe it would be an idea for her to acknowledge her past mistakes (if this is the case) to show this understanding?Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3392635135

Would be good if we could find the actual thread and related story and refer to it; (1) to check whether I am right in putting the two posters together and (2) whether I'm right or wrong there could be a lesson for all of us there. Umberto, any chance you could do a bit of investigating there?
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:43

There's nothing on UKS.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 06 Nov 2011, 22:43

Umberto Cocopop wrote:There's nothing on UKS.

Well, that's definitely where I read it. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 779656512 Probably about 3 years ago ... I wouldn't know where to look on there because I can't remember the name of the thread or even who it was about. I just remember it was a long thread.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Mon 07 Nov 2011, 01:03

KitKat wrote:Well, that's definitely where I read it. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 779656512 Probably about 3 years ago ... I wouldn't know where to look on there because I can't remember the name of the thread or even who it was about. I just remember it was a long thread.
    I just searched Hayley's posts and she hardly posted on there and what was there was nothing controversial.

I don't think she'd had more than one account so it's probably someone else.
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Mon 07 Nov 2011, 14:39

Umberto Cocopop wrote:There's nothing on UKS.

Now.

Doesn't mean that there never was!Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Mon 07 Nov 2011, 15:00

Umberto Cocopop wrote:
    If I was a leader in the skeptical community, I'd be very concerned that we were attracting in such mindless hotheads.

I read through this lot!Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 40742102

You kicked his arse there UmboUnmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971 Impressive....Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3853711873 I got meself quite excited which brought on a flushUnmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 592502337

That's my compliment quota for non-believers used up for the year so make the most of it. lol!
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Mon 07 Nov 2011, 15:04

Pixie wrote:Now.

Doesn't mean that there never was!Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971
    I never deleted content.

Although I did clear out the junk section once to save space (and a £50 fee for further database storage).
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Mon 07 Nov 2011, 15:07

Pixie wrote:That's my compliment quota for non-believers used up for the year so make the most of it. lol!
    But..., but..., but..., I thrive on compliments! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Undecided
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 07 Nov 2011, 15:11

Nowt for it then, apart from painstakingly reading through every single thread to try and find it - when it's most likely been cleared out into the junk anyway .. I really don't fancy that, but it's still annoying though. That is the name I remember attributed to that situation. It's not exactly a name you would get mixed up with - and I remember it even moreso for the fact that she didn't post very much on UKS (something that you have pointed out, Umbo).
    Oh well ... I suppose some things are best forgotten ...
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Mon 07 Nov 2011, 16:12

http://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/2011/06/20/the-new-rules-of-hayley-stevens/

I admit that from what I have already read...I'm not really that into Hayley. I keep reading her blog etc. She's obviously an intelligent young lady and very passionate about her views on life, especially the paranormal. I read the above blog post and all the comments. It shows immaturity imo. While I agree that it's not on for people to make abusive posts, I think Hayley is showing a side to herself that is a far cry from any 'friendly skeptic'. If you put your opinions into the public domain via blogs, podcasts or whatever else, you have to accept that not everybody will agree with everything that you say but seemingly she is only interested in the opinions of people who do agree with her, everybody else can go f off?Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3929217648 She's become a little bit too full of her own self-importance which I don't care for. From what I am seeing, she is not as 'up for debate' as she would have us believe. I would guess that KK is right but that's going by what I have read.

I am Pixie now feck off before I pop a cap in your ass:lol!:
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 07 Nov 2011, 21:56

Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Tue 08 Nov 2011, 06:47

Lol. Erm I am Jon Donnis.This is MY forum!

Now feck off!

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960

Edited my post. It was early, I was half-asleep. Just re-read through the thread and spoiler...brain is now engaged. (ish)Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 631737971

As you were.....

Note to self....stop posting until you have woken up Pixie you stupid cow. (smacks my own ass) THWACK!
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 09 Nov 2011, 00:47

Ha Ha ... Pixie, sorry to put your brain through such torture so early in the morning. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 40742102

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1074908227
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Thu 17 Nov 2011, 23:02

I don't know how I missed this. Earpiecegate! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1745332345
    This whole story seems to have died a death. Did Sally Morgan sue anyone?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 17 Nov 2011, 23:21

Whiskers wrote:I don't know how I missed this. Earpiecegate! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1745332345
    This whole story seems to have died a death. Did Sally Morgan sue anyone?

I don't think that was ever the idea. The legal team was brought in basically to silence her critics. Maybe that's worked. shrug
    lar-lar
    lar-lar

Post by lar-lar Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:00

The post you're talking about (and can't find) was on UK'S. Have you gone through your posts kk? That may be the best way to find it as I remember your response to it.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:14

lar-lar wrote:The post you're talking about (and can't find) was on UK'S. Have you gone through your posts kk? That may be the best way to find it as I remember your response to it.

I don't remember responding to it! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3016724194 I remember certainly having a response in my head(!) as with a lot of things on that site (and others), but as to responding I really can't remember that at all. What did I say, lar-lar? I'm intrigued now.
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Sun 04 Dec 2011, 14:15

Can't join in the joke here. I tried to read the link in the spoiler but all i got was this.
    The thread you are trying to access does not exist.
    Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3392635135
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 04 Dec 2011, 14:33

Jamboree wrote:

Can't join in the joke here. I tried to read the link in the spoiler but all i got was this.
    The thread you are trying to access does not exist.
    Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3392635135

Hmm. Well, that doesn't really surprise me, seeing where it came from. judge

I've actually forgotten now what was in there in the first place! .. but it was obviously something that made me chuckle. giggle
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Empty Update: Sally Morgan is suing the Daily Mail for defamation

Post by Kitkat Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:48

TV psychic Sally Morgan sues Daily Mail for defamation

26 January 2012

By Sarah Limbrick
    ------------------------------

TV psychic Sally Morgan is demanding damages of £150,000 from Associated Newspapers over a Daily Mail story accusing her of scamming a vulnerable audience.

The article, published on 22 September, was headlined: “What a load of crystal balls!”

It alleged Morgan pretended to have psychic powers when she was in fact simply repeating instructions from members of her team via a microphone and hidden earpiece, according to a writ lodge at the High Court.

Morgan, who was Princess Diana’s former psychic, claims the story caused substantial damage to her reputation, as well as hurt, distress and embarrassment.

The story was widely reported in the national press at the time but Associated Newspapers is the only publisher named on the writ. The story in question was an opinion piece by the magician and former psychic Paul Zenon.

The Daily Mail published another article on the same day – headlined “Only the lonely believe in ghoulish psychics” – which repeated the substance of the allegations, according to a High Court writ.

Morgan, who is also suing over an online version of the story, claims the paper has failed to provide a full and unequivocal apology or admit the article was defamatory.

She is asking for an injunction banning repetition of the allegations about her.

She is also seeking aggravated damages, citing the serious and offensive nature of the allegations which effectively accused her of perpetrating a deliberate fraud on the public, which struck at the heart of her professional and personal reputation, integrity and honesty - the writ states.

In her High Court writ Morgan describes herself as a professional psychic and claims to have privately helped numerous people overcome traumatic or emotional situations.

Morgan is represented by Graham Atkins of Atkins Thomson.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=48632&c=1
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 26 Jan 2012, 18:31

The piece by Paul Zenon doesn't actually make any specific claim about SM directly.

Obviously, it implies that she, and her ilk, are using trickery similar to that used by magicians/mentalists but I don't know whether an implication is the same as an accusation regarding defamation law.

I think she may have a great deal of trouble winning this one.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 29 Jan 2012, 18:11

Umberto Cocopop wrote:The piece by Paul Zenon doesn't actually make any specific claim about SM directly.

Obviously, it implies that she, and her ilk, are using trickery similar to that used by magicians/mentalists but I don't know whether an implication is the same as an accusation regarding defamation law.

I think she may have a great deal of trouble winning this one.

The report says "She is asking for an injunction banning repetition of the allegations about her."

Well who, I wonder, can that injunction be aimed at
    Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 3392635135 ... the Daily Mail? There is repetition of those allegations in loads of places all over the net. Does it mean slapping an injunction on every individual and every area and place that repeats or refers to those allegations? I can't really see how that would work.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sun 29 Jan 2012, 18:36

Well people who operate a business like Sally Morgan's are always going to be susceptible to 'allegations' because at no point have they ever demonstrated that their claimed ability is real.

To anyone not blinded by belief, it's blatantly obvious that what she's doing isn't genuinely what she claims it to be - it's not a question of whether she deceives her audience but which method she uses.

I can understand her wanting to silence her critics - they're bad for business.
    Anonymous
    ratzo

Post by ratzo Tue 28 Feb 2012, 22:00

Did the Mail pay up? Anyone know?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:14

ratzo wrote:Did the Mail pay up? Anyone know?

Hi ratzo. It all seems to have gone very quiet in that area. I suppose that in itself could be an indication that some kind of settlement has been made. The fact that it is so quiet too probably means that money was involved somewhere. I don't suppose we'll ever get to hear the full details there.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 29 Feb 2012, 19:40

Well, whaddya know? Spoke too soon. Big Bad Jon's been quick to discover this little snippet posted on 28th September from http://psycicornot.wordpress.com/

PSYCHIC OR NOT… YOU DECIDE.

DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting for one minute that Sally Morgan is not speaking to the dead, telling the truth, getting messages from the deceased, or being anything but honest with her audience. I am merely reporting EXACTLY what happened, and leaving the conclusion to those who read this. In the course of her performance, Morgan stated that what she did was entertainment. Again, I leave the validity of that statement to the reader – draw your own conclusion.

On February 23 2012, I was tasked with attending a performance of Psychic Sally Morgan, and writing a review. On the grounds of what happened, the newspaper decided not to run the review because it would make a big story. It was then handed to their legal people who vetoed it, on the grounds of the fact that there is a current legal dispute between Morgan and a newspaper, and they had no wish to be drawn into the fight. I was told that Sally Morgan has made it clear that if any media outlet suggests that she is a fraud or that she is a liar, then she WILL sue.

So, the story was dropped. However, it was handed to The Sun. They initially seemed very excited, but it was then given to the legal people there… and nothing came of it.

It is worth bearing in mind that in the days prior to the show, I informed a number of people of my intentions, despite the realisation that the odds against my “message” being selected were high, indeed.

So, here is what happened…

On the actual evening of the performance, as the show was closing for the first half, Psychic Sally Morgan had what can only be described as hysterics. She was wailing and squeaking, saying that she could see an explosion… and a man “being thrown in the air.” She seemed to be completely overcome by the horrific vision, stating that she was trying to get it out of her head, but couldn’t. She seemed to be completely overwhelmed by this vision.

There followed the intermission.

After the intermission she came back on stage, still talking about the horrific image she had in her head, and that she had to get it out. She then gave the name “Mark” linked to this explosion. Somebody stood, suggesting it might be him, as his name was Mark and he worked with somebody whose son had been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan.

Sally took it a step further, saying she was getting the name “Tobin” or “Toe-been” something like that…. At which point I stood up, yelled “Up here” and was handed the microphone. The onstage video camera picked me out, so my image now appeared on the backdrop video screen. I was then told that this chap who was killed in the explosion was on the stage with Sally… big explosion… He was sitting on something…. Or hunched over something… Then the explosion…Horrific… Horrible.. blah blah blah.

Now, here’s what Sally didn’t know. A couple of weeks before the show I found her website and I sent a message, saying that I was all excited that she was coming to Edinburgh. Also, I hoped to get a message from Toby “Tobias” Wren, who was killed in an explosion on December 14 while defusing an explosive device.”

On the evening of the show, when you first enter the theatre foyer you are faced with a standee which proclaims “Sally’s Love Letters and Photographs”. Inside, there are stacks of hundreds of “Sally’s Love Letters” and pens. The Love Letters are pieces of card, about 3″x2″ which state: “Ask Sally about a loved one who has passed over and she may pick this card out of her ‘Psychic Orb’ during the evening and come to you with a special message….”

There are literally hundreds of people filling out these slips of paper and placing them in a box. These slips are later taken onto the stage and dumped into the Psychic Orb, which looks like a big, glass fishbowl. Myself and an assistant spent a merry half-hour filling out the slips – all with exactly the same information – “Toby ‘Tobias’ Wren. Killed in an explosion on December 14 while defusing an explosive device.”

What makes this so strange – that Sally had Toby on stage with her – is that the explosion and the character names are actually lifted directly from the fictional death scene of Toby Wren, a character played by Robert Powell in the BBC series “Doomwatch”.

How could she be so distressed by such a horrific scene, when it was a television dramatisation from 1970? How could she get the name of “Toby” and have him stranding beside her – as she told us he was – when, actually, Toby never existed? Remarkable, indeed. Is it possible that she picked up on my psychic thoughts?

Where could that information have come from? Certainly not from the dead spirit of Toby, that’s for sure, because Toby never existed, other than as a fictional character in a BBC drama!

If that IS how she got the information, then passed on a message to me that had the audience gasp in astonishment, then it makes me wonder about the source of the other “messages”.

What I found so distressing about this, as a member of the audience, is that there were whole families turning up, each paying around £25 per person. These were people, some of whom obviously would have found this a financial burden, in the hope of having some sort of contact from a dearly loved mother, father or child.

Seeing Sally Morgan on-stage clutching her chest, acting out the last thoughts of a deceased father, squealing “He’s saying: I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die.” and watching the sobbing reaction of the relatives… Made me feel distnctly uneasy – and that’s putting it lightly. It is the vulnerable and the bereaved who suffer the cruel consequence of all this. I would question the suggestion that this brings comfort to the bereaved.

So, with all that reported: Here is the review :

Sally Morgan

Playhouse Theatre

Stars: 1

Run ended

THE show starts long before the curtain goes up. In a side room there are pens and cards: Sally’s Love Letters. Audience members are invited to fill in a card with information about a loved one who has passed over, with the promise that she may pick that card out of her “Psychic Orb”.

There were a lot of cards being filled out. And the psychic orb looked suspiciously like the fish bowls favoured by fake spiritualists in the past, and by psychological illusionists such as Derren Brown today.

Morgan skipped onto the stage and launched into a long explanation of what she does and how she does it. She took great pains to point out that she has to refer to her performance as a “show” and that it is entertainment, because of legislation and the fact that there is a “lot going on at the moment”. Possibly referring to the upcoming legal case.

And eventually, the performance began. She would throw out names, often as loose as “Shirley… or Shirl… or Sheila. It may be a place name like Sheil.” It seems that the spirits mumble.

There were moments where she got the information bang on. But there were also moments when the answers to her questions drew a long string of “No”s, at times producing giggles from sections of the crowd. There were many more misses than hits.

It was easy to remember that in her previous job Morgan was a dental nurse – because this was like pulling teeth.

Just before the intermission, she was suddenly overcome with shock. She could “see” an explosion. “A man being thrown in the air.” She couldn’t get the horror of it from her mind, but she promised to return to the theme on her return.

And she did. Clearly appalled by what she was “seeing” she offered the name of “Tobin”. Which is when a certain Evening News reviewer found himself in the spotlight. Her message was uncannily accurate. One of the highlights.

Unfortunately, the spirit who was “standing beside her” describing the details – the same details that had been written on a number of Sally’s Love Letters, and emailed earlier that week – was actually a death scene played by the great British actor Robert Powell as Toby Wren in the BBC series “Doomwatch” in 1970. Oops! Didn’t see THAT coming.

Coincidence? Might have been. Either way, it would seem that, for a short while at least, Morgan’s “extraordinary gift” had deserted her. It was a show that left more questions than it offered answers.

That article was posted up on the Bad Psychics forum today HERE

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 2238782717 to which I must add this little thought-provoking comment:

Fails to say whether the reporter spoke out there and then in the theatre, saying what he later reported in his article. Surely that would have been an opportune moment to let thousands of "devoted followers" know just how they were being 'conned'. He had hold of the microphone. Perfect situation to do just that. Did he? If not, you have to wonder why not.

Now, here’s what Sally didn’t know. A couple of weeks before the show I found her website and I sent a message, saying that I was all excited that she was coming to Edinburgh. Also, I hoped to get a message from Toby “Tobias” Wren, who was killed in an explosion on December 14 while defusing an explosive device.”
    Was this message printed in public on her website. Does the writer have a copy of the message he sent to Sally - that he can produce as hard evidence?

Some things missing out of all this ... One can't help but read between the lines.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 29 Feb 2012, 20:52

I saw this earlier today.

It is how to go about exposing a psychic in principle but it doesn't seem to have been carried out properly. i.e. without a solid evidence trail, it's not worth much. Probably why no paper would print it.

BTW, a digression regarding Leslie Flint,.....

The world's greatest internet skeptic gets it completely wrong when he implies that Flint wasn't genuine because he doesn't sound like Gandhi. I'm sure that Jon Culshaw could do a more convincing Gandhi but his impersonation is meaningless as evidence of afterlife communication - likewise with Flint.

The only way to do a meaningful test with the recordings is to transcribe them and then use text analysis software to see whether:

A) Flint's use of language (as Gandhi) is the same as Gandhi's;
    B) Whether Flint's use of language differs when allegedly channelling other people; and
    C) Whether Flint's use of language differs from his normal usage (if such recordings are available).

Analysis software can measure things like verb usage etc., but also idiosyncrasies that individuals have.

In short: it's not about how good an impression sounds but whether the actual content and form of the content matches the original.

This method is ideal for older recordings and texts as the people at the time didn't foresee the development of such techniques.

That's because there's no such thing as psychic powers. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1074908227
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Empty Leslie Flint

Post by Kitkat Wed 29 Feb 2012, 21:01

Umberto Cocopop wrote:BTW, a digression regarding Leslie Flint,.....

The world's greatest internet skeptic gets it completely wrong when he implies that Flint wasn't genuine because he doesn't sound like Gandhi. I'm sure that Jon Culshaw could do a more convincing Gandhi but his impersonation is meaningless as evidence of afterlife communication - likewise with Flint.

The only way to do a meaningful test with the recordings is to transcribe them and then use text analysis software to see whether:

A) Flint's use of language (as Gandhi) is the same as Gandhi's;
    B) Whether Flint's use of language differs when allegedly channelling other people; and
    C) Whether Flint's use of language differs from his normal usage (if such recordings are available).

Analysis software can measure things like verb usage etc., but also idiosyncrasies that individuals have.

In short: it's not about how good an impression sounds but whether the actual content and form of the content matches the original.

This method is ideal for older recordings and texts as the people at the time didn't foresee the development of such techniques.

That's because there's no such thing as psychic powers. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 1074908227

Absolutely agree with you that, Umberto. (er ... except for the last sentence Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4030250666 )

This is something which the so-called critical thinkers fail to (or deliberately don't want to) look into.

Can I quote you on that? ETA: If you don't answer that question, I'm going to do it anyway.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 29 Feb 2012, 21:08

Yeah, go ahead and steal my knowledge. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Angry
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 29 Feb 2012, 21:11

Not stealing. I'm just elaborating on something I already thought of - and agree with. tongue
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 29 Feb 2012, 21:12

I feel violated. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Shocked
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 29 Feb 2012, 21:15

Let's see what Mister Know-it-all-world's-greatest-internet-skeptic has to say in response ... Basketball
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Empty Sally Morgan

Post by Kitkat Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:22

Back to Sally Morgan ...

Somebody has put a comment to the article, asking these questions:
    As skeptics we should really be asking for more proof of this persons claims.
    Which newspaper originally was he commissioned to write the article on?
    Why didn’t they speak out during the show?
    Is there anyone else who can coroborate this story, someone who was at the show?

Is there any proof that the person who wrote this article didn’t just make it up?

As
    skeptics we demand proof from psychics and mediums, yet we seemingly
    accept anti-psychic material without question because it fits our
    pre-conceived ideas.

I think people like the author of the
    article, need to stop hiding behind anonymous blogs, grow a set of
    balls, and speak out in a public way.
    Provide proof of your claims, then and only then will we have a chanc eto stop people like Sally Morgan

The reply was:
    Evening News. I didn’t speak out because there were people genuinely
    upset – (see posts above) Who am I to add to their misery? Yes – I was
    with a colleague – and an audience of 3,000. This is NOT “anti-psychic –
    it is a report on what happened, I HAVE spoken out in a public way. Buy
    The Guardian when the piece comes out… All answered, I think.
    Hmmm. So the article is due to be published in full in The Guardian (presumably giving the reporter's real name? ... and that of his "colleague"?) I wonder ....
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:08

KitKat wrote:Let's see what Mister Know-it-all-world's-greatest-internet-skeptic has to say in response ... Basketball
    JD: "JJs suggestion to me is only valid if the voice he put on sounded like Gandhi."

He quite clearly doesn't understand the point. Sounding like someone is a measure of how good you are at doing an impression of them - but that's all.

Channelling (and direct voice mediumship is a claim of channelling) is where the spirit allegedly uses a living person's body to communicate (write books, music, or speak) so it's not unreasonable to expect that any resulting handwriting or speech would be in the medium's own style or sound. What should be different is things like usage of language. e.g. An Indian speaking English will probably make many mistakes (both systematic and personal idiosyncrasies) and these can reasonably be expected to be reproduced accurately.

If someone claims to have written a book by channelling Emily Bronte, you would expect the use of language to be identical to Bronte's even if the handwriting doesn't match. Software analysis can find matches and discrepancies between texts. That's why it would be an appropriate way to evaluate the quality of evidence.

The idea that a medium should sound like the person they are channelling (who's using their voice box) is a rather simplistic assumption really. Perhaps JD needs to invest in an armchair and do some studying. Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Grin
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:13

KitKat wrote:Hmmm. So the article is due to be published in full in The Guardian (presumably giving the reporter's real name? ... and that of his "colleague"?) I wonder ....
    It will be interesting to see how it's worded. If there's a solid evidence trail then this is some very bad news for Sally Morgan but if it's another weak allegation it will make the "witch hunt" claim look more plausible.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 01 Mar 2012, 18:40

Jon Donnis wrote:I understand the point completely.

I am not gonna waste my time investigating someone who sounds like my Grocer
    Which is completely missing the point! Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 Grin

Jon Donnis wrote:we ALL know the Flint is not really channelling Gandhi

Either way ITS NOT GANDHI. No need to analyse anything.

So to be clear, you expect someone to spend time and effort analysing
    speech patterns and all other manner of b*****ks, just to prove what is
    the bleeding obvious in the first place?

To investigate Flint further is time wasting stupidity.
    So we start by knowing the answer.....

10 bonus points for anyone who can tell us what's wrong with that approach.

Jon Donnis wrote:
    So to be clear, you expect someone to spend time and effort analysing speech patterns
    If someone wants to reach an informed and evidence-based conclusion on an issue then the only way to do so is to actually examine the evidence* and see what it tells us. Simply yelling "bollocks" is the ramblings of a closed-minded person who thinks they know answers without any need to investigate anything. 'Just knowing' should be left to the psychics.....

Jon Donnis wrote:
    If Flit was channelling an Indian speaking voice, then yes lets examine the grammar, and so on.
    Again, this shows you haven't understood the point at all.

* Are you aware of the relationship between skepticism and evidence?

I suspect not. Armchair time again methinks!
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 02 Mar 2012, 09:39

Umberto Cocopop wrote:
    KitKat wrote:Hmmm. So the article is due to be published in full in The Guardian (presumably giving the reporter's real name? ... and that of his "colleague"?) I wonder ....
    It will be interesting to see how it's worded. If there's a solid evidence trail then this is some very bad news for Sally Morgan but if it's another weak allegation it will make the "witch hunt" claim look more plausible.

AHA! The author is Drew McAdam - "Scotland's foremost mindreader" !
    “If you think your thoughts are yours and yours alone, think again.
    Drew McAdam’s “MindPlay” abilities will blow you away! Even Uri Geller
    is impressed by him. Drew McAdam has numerous TV and radio credits to
    his name, including a hilarious special guest appearance on Ready Steady Cook where he not only read Ainslie Harriott’s mind but bent all the spoons. Drew is also the subject of the recent BBC series School For Genius and has a regular spot as The Interrogator on the UK’s most popular daytime talk show: The Trisha Goddard Show.”
    “Bafflingly brilliant” Evening News (5 stars)

“Mind Master McAdam.” The Mail

http://drewsmuse.wordpress.com/about/

Clarifies things somewhat. Rolling Eyes
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 06 Mar 2012, 19:22

Well of course you don't need to be psychic to predict that Simon Singh and his Merseyside Mates would latch onto this one. It's right up his street. Sooooooo very predictable. Rolling Eyes

http://moh2005.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=medpsy&action=display&thread=10580
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 07 Mar 2012, 13:17

Post subject: Re: Gandhi vs Gandhi

Posted: Thu, 01 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

badpsychics wrote: Can he not come on her eto reply himself, or does he need his girl friend to speak for him?

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960 Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960 Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 08 Mar 2012, 17:34

Mar 8 2012
    Sally’s Response to Edinburgh Allegations

As you are aware, Sally has been forced to bring libel proceedings over the false accusation that she had cheated her audience at a performance in Dublin last year by repeating out instructions she was receiving from members of her team via a microphone and hidden earpiece. This is nonsense but she hopes that the legal process will provide her with the vindication she deserves.

In the meantime, it has come to her attention that another false allegation of cheating has been made. It appears that this is the work of a small but very vocal group of individuals who have a clear and pre-meditated agenda. These recent allegations concerning a show in Edinburgh are untrue. The truth is that the wife of the reporter/friend of Paul Zenon (whose article is the subject of Sally’s libel case) simply interrupted a message regarding an explosion which in fact related to other people in the audience. Both of those people validated messages from Sally regarding relatives/friends who died after explosions. No specific information was given by Sally relating to the fictitious character which the reporter deliberately planted into the show and when it became clear that the reading was not meant for the reporter, Sally quickly moved on to a relative of a young man who had been killed in an explosion.

It obviously would not be appropriate for us to make any further comment whilst the legal action progresses.

She also wants to reassure the many thousands of people she has helped over the years that she will continue to do the good work she has done and will not be deterred by anyone else’s agenda.

SME Ltd

http://www.sallymorgan.tv/sallys-response-to-edinburgh-allegations/
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 10 Mar 2012, 13:03

KitKat wrote:Post subject: Re: Gandhi vs Gandhi

Posted: Thu, 01 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

badpsychics wrote: Can he not come on her eto reply himself, or does he need his girl friend to speak for him?

Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960 Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960 Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 4274503960
    Unmissable bargain on eBay - Page 2 40742102

I don't know what he thinks went on at Muncaster but I reckon he's well jealous!

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 12:39