KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Raincheck! Sorry, I'm doing my nails ...

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Raincheck!  Sorry, I'm doing my nails ... Empty Raincheck! Sorry, I'm doing my nails ...

Post by Kitkat Fri 18 May 2018, 10:53

So, there's a wedding tomorrow ... shrug  most likely there are hundreds of weddings tomorrow, maybe thousands - there are people getting hitched every day all over the world.  Even I did it once ...
    Oh, okay ... this one's a 'royal wedding' ... and it's being broadcast live all over the world, so everyone will glued to their screens, following the event, filled with rhapsodic awe ... 
    Er, no!  Not everyone!  As if we haven't had enough of this imminent 'extraordinary' happening thrust down our throats, eyes and ears for the past few months. 
    If you are one of those who would prefer to be watching the paint dry on the Forth Bridge, here are some choice alternative ways to escape the manic fever of the day: 
    (I'm opting for No. 4.)

Royal wedding 2018: Eight different ways to spend the day

For some, the day will be spent preparing for street parties, wearing the union jack as a cape, and praying that the weather behaves itself. But for others it can be a reminder of a hatred of crowds, bunting and the pomp and ceremony that goes with a royal wedding.

If you're in the latter camp, here are some different ways to spend the day.

1. Watch the FA Cup final

For those who want to be glued to the TV, but don't want to watch the royal wedding, the FA Cup offers a brilliant alternative. Sports lovers can revel in the grudge match between Chelsea and Man Utd.
    But with a 17:15 BST kick-off, it will be hard to avoid the royal wedding altogether as the nuptials commence at midday.
    The royal wedding has also caused havoc with the Duke of Cambridge's schedule. As president of the Football Association, Prince William usually hands out the FA Cup to the winning side. But he will miss this year's match at Wembley in favour of his brother's wedding.
    And for those who follow Scottish football, the Scottish Cup final between Celtic and Motherwell will kick-off at 15:00.

2. Go underground

Wherever you go on royal wedding day, you may be unable to escape the nuptials because of news updates and photos posted to your mobile phone by friends on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. One option might be to go underground - literally.
    The lack of phone signal in the cave systems around Cheddar Gorge in Somerset provide the perfect location for those trying to avoid posts about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. It's also a fun and educational day out for the whole family.
    If you're unable to get to Somerset, White Scar Cave in North Yorkshire offers a suitable alternative.

3. Go to the cinema

If you don't have a set of subterranean caves to peruse, maybe the cinema is the best way to go.
    You can sit in the darkened room for two hours, safe in the knowledge that the audience shouldn't be following events in Windsor.
    The weekend releases include Deadpool 2, the drama On Chesil Beach and a family comedy about a canine police dog called Show Dogs.

4. Watch some royal-based comedy

If your blood boiled at the thought of the royal wedding, you might be able to take some solace in the fact that it's being mocked on national television.
    Channel 4 comedy The Windsors, a parody soap opera of the royal family, will return for a one-off special to commemorate Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's special day.
    It was already broadcast on Tuesday, but there will be a re-run of the sitcom at midnight on Saturday.

5. Enjoy the boxing

If matrimonial harmony is not your thing, watching two men slug it out in a boxing match might be a viable alternative. Lee Selby, otherwise known as The Barry Boy Assassin, will be defending his IBF world featherweight title against Josh Warrington.
    The fight is taking place on Saturday night at Elland Road in Leeds.

6. Go to an anti-monarchist convention

If you want to be around others who don't want anything to do with the royal wedding, Republic, who campaign for the abolition of the monarchy, are hosting an international convention on the future of republican movements across Europe.
    The event in London will include MPs Tommy Sheppard and Emma Dent Coad, and speakers from Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.

7. Watch Simon McCoy

(Check the link for this one)

During coverage of royal occasions, there can sometimes be hours where nothing of any significance happens.
    Veteran broadcaster and BBC News presenter Simon McCoy is well versed in covering the royals and has won plaudits online for his blunt presenting patter. While some of the country gets swept up in a swell of patriotism, it might be a good time to stick on one of his best royal announcements.

8. Take advantage of the lack of queues

A royal wedding might make some want to eat their teeth but it can come with its advantages. While many people crowd around TVs and revel in eating tepid finger food, others can take advantage of the lack of queues.
    Whether you fancy buying some pot plants at your local garden centre, need to do a big supermarket shop, or you fancy taking back that trowel you bought in error at a DIY store, the world's your oyster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43920630
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Raincheck!  Sorry, I'm doing my nails ... Empty Re: Raincheck! Sorry, I'm doing my nails ...

Post by Kitkat Fri 18 May 2018, 11:18

PS:

The Cost?
    (Estimated, of course):
    Bridebook.co.uk, a wedding planning service, says the total cost of the wedding could be £32m - including the cost of security.
    It put the cost of the cake at £50,000, the florist at £110,000, the catering at £286,000, and so on and so on.
    Reality Check contacted the company's owner, Hamish Shephard, to ask about the methodology used to arrive at the estimate.
    He said the £32m figure had been based on the assumption that the Royal Family had paid for everything at market rate.
    But in the absence of any official data, this is still guesswork - however well informed.
    For example, we don't know if suppliers would offer a substantial discount for the privilege of providing their services for a royal wedding.

Who pays?

The cost of security for the wedding will be met by the taxpayer.
    Initially, Thames Valley Police will have to absorb the cost itself.
    But the force will be eligible to apply for special grant funding from the Home Office after the event in order to claim back some of the costs.
    Special grant funding is a separate pool of money forces can apply for if they have to police events outside their usual remit.

As for the rest of the total, the Royal Family has said it will be paying for the private elements of the wedding.
    Every year the Royal Family gets a chunk of money from the annual Sovereign Grant, paid directly by the Treasury.
    The grant is calculated on a percentage of the profits from the Crown Estate portfolio, which includes much of London's West End.
    This year it's worth £82m.
    Some members of the Royal Family benefit from additional income.
    For example, Prince Charles gets money from the Duchy of Cornwall estate, a portfolio of land, property and financial investments.
    But it's not clear which "pots" the palace will choose to fund the wedding from.
    Republic, which campaigns for an elected head of state, and claims the overall cost of the monarchy is far higher than £82m, has submitted a petition against taxpayers' money being spent on the wedding.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44154438
    lar-lar
    lar-lar

Raincheck!  Sorry, I'm doing my nails ... Empty Re: Raincheck! Sorry, I'm doing my nails ...

Post by lar-lar Thu 25 Oct 2018, 21:58

I watched it! Mixed views on royalty but that song was amazing!

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 26 Oct 2018, 11:58

Oh wow! - Great choice of song for a wedding!  Amazing though how the congregation (and the marrying couple!) managed to stay so still throughout. rock Must've been hard to refrain from dancing up and down the aisles, or at least in their seats!

I saw The Drifters performing that song (amongst other classics!) many years ago at Bailey's nightclub in Watford.
    Memories .....

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 10:25