KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

3 posters

A coconut in a coffin?

Whiskers
    Whiskers

A coconut in a coffin? Empty A coconut in a coffin?

Post by Whiskers Sun 04 Feb 2018, 12:35

A coconut that was placed inside a coffin "sent fear" through staff at a crematorium when it exploded.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5347559/Coconut-left-coffin-exploded.html

Bolton Council has urged mourners to abide by crematorium rules and not "slip" items into coffins.

Donna Ball, Assistant Director of Community Services, said a "hell of an explosion can sometimes occur".

Other items of concern include mobile phones, TV remotes, e-cigarettes and bottles of alcohol.

Ms Ball told the BBC: "We are asking people to be considerate regarding the items they place into coffins before the cremation process.

"We have seen a rise in things like e-cigarettes, bottles of whisky and vodka, golf balls, sometimes golf clubs, and mobile phones. Mobile phones in particular are a real issue for us".

Ms Ball said: "Usually the funeral director will pick them up but sometimes things are slid inside peoples' pockets and they are just not picked up during the process, then when they go through the cremation process a hell of an explosion can sometimes occur".

She added that electrical items with batteries also push crematorium emissions up to "unacceptable levels".
    Louise Walch-Grognet, of Fred Hamer Funeral Services, said they check the coffins to make sure contraband items are not slipped in.

"They've asked can they put love letters in, cigarettes, ashes of their pets," she said.
    "I've had a biker whose family wanted him to wear his leathers. Obviously we couldn't do that".
    The funeral director said on one occasion she was even asked if an extra set of underwear could be placed with the deceased.

Ms Walch-Grognet said that during her 17-years in the occupation 'it has changed so much as more people request to have mobile phones and e-cigarettes left inside the coffin'.
    These belongings cannot be placed with the deceased and are given back to the grieving family. 

Other items of concern include TV remotes, lighters and bottles of alcohol.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

A coconut in a coffin? Empty Re: A coconut in a coffin?

Post by Kitkat Mon 05 Feb 2018, 20:19

Ms Walch-Grognet said that during her 17-years in the occupation 'it has changed so much as more people request to have mobile phones and e-cigarettes left inside the coffin'.
    These belongings cannot be placed with the deceased and are given back to the grieving family.

Oh well, that put's paid to my intended after-death prerequisite to have my mobile phone in the coffin with me.

they check the coffins to make sure contraband items are not slipped in.

Other items of concern include TV remotes, lighters and bottles of alcohol.

Rotten spoilsports!  Hmmm ... I'm going to have to pre-arrange with my nearest and dearest to agree on a special place to stash my little necessities then - a place where I can easily get hold of them.  So long as they remember to keep my phone in credit ...  Wink
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Tue 06 Feb 2018, 14:57

I am sure you will find a way around it kk  Wink giggle
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Thu 08 Feb 2018, 19:26

Are these rules specific to crematoriums (which is logical since the high temperature is bound to provoke such explosions) but not to ordinary cemetery burials?

Considering that things like mobile phones contain lots of toxic chemicals/materials they would also pollute the earth if buried in a coffin, so I can see why they wouldn't be allowed. Not so sure about why leathers were not allowed for the biker, anyone have an idea about that?

Why can't people be content with slipping in a few words of love or a poem, photo, etc?

Kitkat, I have doubts whether a mobile phone would work once buried in the earth anyway, like they don't always work in cellars.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 09 Feb 2018, 20:35

I think that rule must only apply to cremations Stardust.  Different funeral directors will have their own different rules but I believe its quite a common request now to have your phone or even iPad or laptop buried in the coffin with you!  Whether you can trust them to carry out those wishes or not is another story!  There must be rules and regulations that they have to follow.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 03:57