KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother Empty Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother

Post by Kitkat Mon 01 Jan 2018, 15:38

I'm just a wee bit skeptical about this:

'A Wembley woman who is treating her terminally ill mother with cannabis oil and a vegan diet has launched a fundraising page in the hope of healing her.'

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/daughter-from-wembley-fundraising-to-save-her-terminally-ill-mother-1-5334992

“I heard cannabis oil helps and for the past month I’ve been researching diets and alternative treatments.
    “I managed to get hold of some and it is helping.

Doctors say her tumour has shrunk, she’s not in so much pain and her arm isn’t spasming. I saw her do her hair for the first time last week. It’s clearly working so that’s what we need.”

"Doctors say her tumour has shrunk" - so it would seem she is under the care of a medical team and presumably also receiving conventional medicinal treatment.  So, why assume that it is the cannabis oil that has shrunk the tumour?

It has been suggested - and apparently proven in various areas - that cannabis is most certainly beneficial with arthritic conditions and works as an effective painkiller, and most likely this is the reason why her pain and spasms have reduced.  This in itself is a good thing, but I cannot see how this treatment can be attributed to the shrinking of the tumour(?)
    The word 'healing' has been mentioned in this article. Perhaps it would be better to use the term 'helping'.
    mac
    mac

Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother Empty Re: Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother

Post by mac Tue 02 Jan 2018, 04:37

I agree with all your points.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother Empty Re: Daughter fundraising to save her terminally ill mother

Post by Whiskers Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:13

This is something I have not heard of before. surprised 

https://www.drrachnapatel.com/medical-marijuana-for-arthritis/

Dr. Rachna, medical marijuana expert, says

You might be interested in knowing that medical marijuana has been used as a treatment for arthritis since 2800 B.C.!

We even have an idea as to why these patients found pain relief by using a form of marijuana. It’s been found from research done on mice that chemicals in the marijuana plant help to reduce the inflammation associated with the arthritis. Research on mice has also shown that marijuana also reduces the progression of the arthritis by modulating the immune system.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 02 Jan 2018, 13:23

On and off I've heard claims for medical marijuana but sufferers have had to get theirs from dealers as it's an illegal drug.  But several States in the US have de-criminalised for personal use and will regulate and tax it so maybe its value will become even more evident in the coming years. 

I hope it becomes routinely medically prescribed as its value is recognised more widely.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:40

The odd case seems to hit the news here in the UK every now and again heralding a call for legalisation for health use, but I don't know what the present situation is, or whether they are still mulling over it or not.

I remember this documentary from about 10 years ago. I wonder if they are still making those chocolate bars.  I could really do with some of that. pirat A pleasurable way to take the medicine!  The regular strong painkillers that I have to take for my chronic pain condition (Tramadol - which is also a controlled drug) don't go anywhere near to easing the arthritis, carpal tunnel or whatever it is, recently added to my various ailments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/extra/series2/cannabis.shtml
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Wed 03 Jan 2018, 20:33

Kitkat wrote:The odd case seems to hit the news here in the UK every now and again heralding a call for legalisation for health use, but I don't know what the present situation is, or whether they are still mulling over it or not.

I remember this documentary from about 10 years ago. I wonder if they are still making those chocolate bars.  I could really do with some of that. pirat A pleasurable way to take the medicine!  The regular strong painkillers that I have to take for my chronic pain condition (Tramadol - which is also a controlled drug) don't go anywhere near to easing the arthritis, carpal tunnel or whatever it is, recently added to my various ailments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/extra/series2/cannabis.shtml
    Last winter my wife was prescribed Tramadol along with an anti-nausea drug that actually cost more than the drug!  She stopped taking it off it after she learned about its addictive nature but when you have severe and chronic pain needs must when the devil drives.

Maybe one day cannabinoids will be prescribed routinely in the UK for medical conditions but there will be a lot of opposition to overcome.
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Tue 09 Jan 2018, 18:03

Kitkat wrote:I cannot see how this treatment can be attributed to the shrinking of the tumour(?)

There could be something in it.  Perhaps it's just a case of knowing where to look.

e.g.  Cannabis and Cancer: How Marijuana Helps the Body Heal

Article Summary

• The cannabis plant has been used in just about every culture for centuries and has been cited in ancient texts as having a healing effect on over 100 ailments.
    • Currently there are 25 states where it is legal for patients to use “marijuana” for medical purposes. Pending legislation may open up opportunities for federally-funded medical research, including human clinical trials.
    • In the mid-1990s, an Israeli researcher discovered a subtle system within the body that seemed to have a balancing effect on every other system. He called it the Endocannabinoid (EC) System.
    • The EC system consists of a series of molecular receptors that are designed to receive cannabinoids. Our bodies produce some cannabinoids. Others come directly from the cannabis plant.
    • Spanish microbiologist Dr. Christine Sanchez was the first to discover the antitumor effects of cannabinoids. Cannabidiol, or CBD, which does not have a psychoactive effect, has long been known as a potent anti-cancer agent because of its ability to interfere with cellular communication in tumors as well as in its ability to instigate apoptosis (programmed cancer cell death).
    • THC (the psychoactive counterpart to CBD) has been shown to reduce tumor growth as well. Studies have been conducted on the combined effect of CBD and THC on a number of types of cancer. These studies are showing evidence of cannabinoids being powerful “herbal chemo” agents.

I think this woman - and anyone else finding themselves in a similar situation - has nothing to lose by looking into it.  If it was a member of my family I would certainly give it a try.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Tue 09 Jan 2018, 23:34

Thanks for that link Jamboree. 
    Interesting. Hmm
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Sun 18 Feb 2018, 11:53

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 03:56