KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

NHS European Health Insurance Card

Kitkat
    Kitkat

NHS European Health Insurance Card Empty NHS European Health Insurance Card

Post by Kitkat Tue 20 Jun 2017, 21:26

I've just been watching the Martin Lewis Money Programme on TV, and he was talking about the European health card which enables you to get cheap or free health cover in some cases in any European country while travelling there - IF you have the card with you - no point if you've left it at home, or if you haven't applied for one in the first place.
    Course, not everyone knows about it, but it's definitely something worth checking out. 
    If you fall ill in any country within the European union, and you have this card with you, you should be entitled to pay whatever the specific country's nationals pay - or get it for free if it's free for them.

NHS European Health Insurance Card EHIC-CARD-NHS_328x212

Have a read of this site for more details.  (I did have one of these cards back in the day, but apparently there's an expiry date on them (valid for maybe 5 or 6 years or something), so mine (if I needed it and IF I could find it!) would definitely be out of date - and also with the Brexit situation there may of course be further changes in relation to this, so keep an eye on the up-to-date situation.

Remember also - that there are some sites which will charge you for the card.  Martin Lewis says YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY TO APPLY FOR THIS.  Make sure you go through the official NHS website.

Have a read of this site, for further information:  http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country. 
    The EHIC also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or seek treatment. For more information about what is covered in each country, see our country-by-country guide.
    NHS European Health Insurance Card Tip_CDownload the EHIC smartphone app from the European Commission website so you can easily access the information while you are abroad.
    The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.
    It is therefore important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy in place before you travel. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC, and many will waive the excess if you have one.
    If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, read the section on seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Read more:   http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 03:00