KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Skeptical About Skeptics

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Skeptical About Skeptics Empty Skeptical About Skeptics

Post by Kitkat Sat 21 Feb 2015, 17:33

update  (because of name change)

Link:  http://www.skepticalaboutskeptics.org/

Skeptical About Skeptics is dedicated to countering dogmatic, ill informed attacks leveled by self-styled skeptics on pioneering scientific research and researchers.

Healthy skepticism is an important part of science, and indeed of common sense. But dogmatic skepticism uses skepticism as a weapon to defend an ideology or belief system, and inhibits the spirit of inquiry.

Most self-proclaimed skeptics are believers in a materialist worldview, and dismiss any evidence for phenomena that do not agree with their assumption that minds are nothing but brain activity confined to the inside of heads.

Members of militant skeptical organizations often think of themselves as defending science and reason against superstition and credulity.

These are worthy aims, but we at Skeptical About Skeptics think that science and reason are best served by considering the evidence for unexplained phenomena scientifically rather than assuming that these phenomena do not exist because they do not fit in with materialist assumptions.

We support science, not scientific fundamentalism.

The Skeptical about Skeptics website:

• Investigates popular media pseudoskeptics.
    • Explores the pseudoskeptical mindset, motivation, and method.
    • Looks at ways in which scientific objectivity is compromised by vested interests, fraud, experimenter effects, and merchants of doubt who use skepticism as a weapon to further corporate interests.
    • Discusses current controversies.

This website is the successor to “Skeptical Investigations” at
    skepticalinvestigations.org, which ran from 2004 to 2014.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Skeptical About Skeptics Empty Re: Skeptical About Skeptics

Post by Umberto Cocopop Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:32

At least it's more appropriately named than it was. 

I guess that www.anyone-who-disagrees-with-our-superstitious-worldview-is-a-pseudoskeptic.com was already taken. giggle
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:42

Umberto Cocopop wrote:At least it's more appropriately named than it was. 

I guess that www.anyone-who-disagrees-with-our-superstitious-worldview-is-a-pseudoskeptic.com was already taken. giggle

surprised   Was that a real site or did you just make it up Umberto?

I got this notice when I clicked into it.

The page www.anyone-who-disagrees-with-our-superstitious-worldview-is-a-pseudoskeptic.com was not found.
    Possibly the Internet address (URL) is incorrect.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 28 Feb 2015, 14:41

I just made it up Whiskers.

It's a Pee take on those daft websites that have an inordinate amount of content that's nothing more than attacking people rather than their arguments.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sun 01 Mar 2015, 08:13

I did think that could be the case but wouldn't surprise me though if it had been a real name. You do come across some funny sites!
    MrBadPsychics
    MrBadPsychics

Post by MrBadPsychics Sun 08 Mar 2015, 15:00

If you thought that was a real site, then no wonder you fall for psychic acts!
    But props to JJ for replying nicely.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 04:43