KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread)

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Empty Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread)

Post by Kitkat Sun 06 Oct 2013, 04:11

Having trouble sleeping?  There's nothing worse if (like me) you're unable to get that elusive shut-eye, especially when it seems the rest of the world is sleeping contentedly.

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Pbucket

Here's a place to come if you find yourself needing a distraction ... Come and join the insomniac night-time ramblers ... open 24/7
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Empty Re: Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread)

Post by Kitkat Sun 06 Oct 2013, 13:14

For me, personally, it's the PAIN ... crybaby  2 whole years now of non-stop pain, which is always there in the background, but much worse when lying down in any angle.

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Insomnia

I've learned to live with it over this time (very strong painkillers etc work on some parts for a time, but all these have no effect on this 'new and different' pain I got now.  Turns out this latest thing is something that footballers get Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury (ACL), in my case I'm pretty sure caused by a fall out of bed about a month or so ago. (For the past 2 years I have had to sleep in a rigid position on my left side right at the edge of the mattress, as I cannot lie on my back, and the slightest movement causes searing pain in my lower back).  My walking stick is always to hand by side of the bed, as I have big problems getting in and out of bed and need the stick for support - indeed any kind of movement like getting up from a chair, in and out of the car, etc nowadays invariably involves spasms and pain, if even just momentarily.  
    I fell that time in a very awkward and painful position and had to remain there for some time as wasn't able to reach the walking stick (or mobile phone even, to call for help).  That's when this latest pain began - and got worse few days later, the incidence when I heard the 'popping' sound (ACL above).  Life was sheer hell for a few days after that, but it seems I did all the right things at the time - without knowing what it was, so the worst is over (I hope!) for now at least.
    Just complicates matters when trying to sleep though.

So, I look for distractions to take from the tiredness and the pain on those occasions ...  Thank goodness for the World Wide Web!  My saviour (and also lots of other people too ... you'd be surprised the number of people who find themselves in the same boat).  Sometimes one of the best 'treatments' is to be able to write about it, let off steam, so to speak, even if no-one else is reading or listening - it helps tremendously.
    "A trouble told is a trouble halved".  So very true.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Empty Re: Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread)

Post by Whiskers Mon 07 Oct 2013, 21:52

I think the saying goes A problem shared is a problem halved.  Yes I do believe that.
    So sorry you are in such pain still KK.  Two years is an awful long time to have to endure all of this.  I can't imagine two days of that suffering let alone two years!  That's just unbareable!  I thought things had got a bit better.  All these delays and waiting lists.  Are you on a waiting list for an operation to help ease this constant pain?  No one should have to go through that for so long.

Take care sweet lady.  I hope you get some deserved rest. They do say sleep is the best medicine. x

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Get_well_soon_13
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 11 Oct 2013, 17:10

Thanks, Whiskers.  catlick 

Been getting some decent sleep in recent nights [with the help of Naproxen (anti-inflammatories)].  
    It's worth putting up with the not very nice side-effects, to get some much needed rest, if only for a while).

A whole new other ballgame been introduced now.  Just had blood tests for what I thought was just Vitamin D level - but discovered that they also included a test for something called CA125 - which, on checking, is connected to cancer.  Hopefully, this is just a formality, as it was my oncologist that recommended the Vit D supplements in the first place (after my second radiotherapy treatment), and it turns out that a vitamin D deficiency is quite common in people who have had certain treatments for cancer, so maybe they just need to balance both things out.  Hopefully that's all it is.  I think I just got a bit of a shock initially, as nothing had been mentioned to me by my GP that I was getting this CA125 testing thing, and it's only after looking it up that I discovered what it's all about.

Well ... just for my own info, as I always do, I just checked with the guy that was taking the blood tests ... to confirm exactly what the tests were for (so many of these tests over this past year or 2), I said - So this test is to gauge my Vitamin D level and to work out what dosage of supplement I be needing this time round, right?
    Yes, he said - Vit D check ... and also CA125. What's that? I asked. For the cancer, he replied.
    HUH? What did you say? He repeated it and then looked at me sheepish like ... his voice went down an octave and said to me "You have cancer, don't you?" Er, I DID have, I replied ... it's 4 years since my last diagnosis and initial treatment ... I did decline the chemotherapy, but not had anything recently to indicate it may have returned (have a benign ovarian cyst, recently checked ... but apart from that). "Oh, so you are in remission then?"
    Well, I guess so - if you want to put it that way. He just sounded surprised, so that kind of took me by surprise too - just the way it came across ... like ... is there something going on that I don't know about? Why would he automatically *assume* such a thing ... etc etc.
    Anyway, got an appointment with my GP on the 22nd, (results of those tests) so I guess she will fill me in on anything that needs filling in.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 18 Sep 2014, 01:34

Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2YemJL4l0fS77sPQrmfl8BwPT6ktV4DrUzBDxdc_er0Zj1UEreJUtk3is Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0zALu5Y2jENqP_QCusBdtLEuWB2EmutvNKQJMohqun39uvQY-1_DaW18W ............ Late Night Ramblings (The Insomniacs Thread) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHbvwDQx8UIfujloI82MXvZSrDDtklCKj1EUf0qF8mW07WkcQjYjD79Ofb annoyed
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 11 Nov 2014, 05:14

I suppose every cloud, no matter how dark, has a silver lining lurking in there somewhere ... sigh

The upside of insomnia: how sleep deprivation aids creativity
    Musicians often find sleeplessness inspiring as well as tormenting. Matt Berry explains how he wrote his new album during nocturnal sessions, and Dave Bayley of Glass Animals says he owes his career to insomnia

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/22/upside-insomnia-sleep-deprivation-creativity-musicians

"When my insomnia started I got so anxious, checking the clock every 15 minutes," says Bayley. "Eventually I just stopped caring. You lose the anxiety that is actually hindering you. Now if I can't sleep I get this peaceful excitement. I know I have time to try something out and have some fun."
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 11 Nov 2014, 05:19

Hmmm  Hmm  ...  Somehow, I don't think the neighbours would be too happy if I were to get out my accordian now and start being 'creative' with it.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:09

Counting sheep at 5.19 in the morning! surprised

Hope its not the pain again keeping you awake KK? I don't know what to say, except hope you feeling better now. catlick
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 04 Nov 2015, 16:48

'The man who invented relaxation'

People suffering from stress can tackle it in various ways - from counselling sessions to yoga classes or listening to mindfulness CDs. But it's only recently that sleeping and doing very little - the ways human beings have always rested - have come to be seen as an insufficient response to life's difficulties.

Paul Lehrer lay on a couch looking at the ceiling of a room on the third floor of the Commodore Hotel in New York and tried to relax.

But it wasn't, he recalls, "the most ideally relaxing situation". There was no music playing softly on the stereo, no aromatherapy or tea lights. Instead, because of the heat, the windows were thrown open and the air was filled with the fumes of buses and trucks. Lehrer's ears hummed with the clanging of the construction site across the street, where they were putting up a new skyscraper, and underneath that cacophony he could hear the bustle of Grand Central Station next door.

Worst of all, every few minutes an old man would come into the room and sharply upbraid him for not relaxing the right way. It was 1973 and Lehrer, a psychotherapist, had come to be treated and to train under an 85-year-old doctor called Edmund Jacobson.

Forty-four years earlier, in 1929, Jacobson had published a forbiddingly technical book called Progressive Relaxation, which detailed a procedure for removing muscular tension. But since the exercises in the book were designed to relieve pressure that was as much psychological as physical, Jacobson's work led to a surge in the use of the word "relax", in the sense of "to become less tense, anxious or stressed, to calm down".

readmore  arrow http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34714591

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 19:17