KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown

Kitkat
    Kitkat

This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown Empty This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown

Post by Kitkat Thu 14 May 2020, 18:00

WITH IRELAND under strict lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic, friends and families everywhere are turning to the time-honoured practice of baking to keep occupied.
    And with some supplies proving harder to come by than others, the need for simple yet delicious recipes has never been stronger.
    Thankfully, the Irish know a thing or two about baking.
    Bread may come in various shapes and sizes but few types compare to a first-rate bit of Irish soda bread.
    Perfect for a sandwich or as an accompaniment to a good soup or fry, Irish soda bread is so delicious, you might be tempted just to spread a bit of butter on top and enjoy it as one of life's simple pleasures.
    Whatever you fancy, knowing a simple and easy to follow Irish soda recipe is an absolute godsend in these lockdown times.
    And the good news is that The Irish Post has come across just that, in the form of this four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe from Trial and Eater.

Here is everything you need to know.
    What you will need:

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown Soda-bread-n

How to make it:

• Preheat oven to 220°C.
    • In a mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
    • Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in buttermilk. Mix together (using hands is the best way to do this) until just combined. Do not overwork or knead the dough. Texture should be slightly crumbly but just sticking together.
    • Form into a ball and place on a cast iron skillet, greased baking sheet or dutch oven. Make an "X" in the dough with a knife, about an inch deep.
    • Bake for 40 minutes or until outside is browned.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown Empty Re: This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown

Post by Whiskers Fri 15 May 2020, 10:50

I would try this if i had buttermilk. But where can I find buttermilk?  shrug
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown Empty Re: This brilliant four-ingredient Irish soda bread recipe will see you through lockdown

Post by Kitkat Fri 15 May 2020, 11:29

Whiskers wrote:I would try this if i had buttermilk. But where can I find buttermilk?  shrug

Most of the supermarkets sell it, Whiskers, but if you can't find it in the shops you can make your own buttermilk:

Ingredients

1 scant cup
    whole or 2% milk, or heavy cream
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or distilled white vinegar

Equipment

Measuring cup
    Measuring spoon
    Stirring spoon

Instructions

• Combine the milk or cream and acid. Stir the milk or cream and lemon juice or vinegar together in a measuring cup.
      Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. When it is ready, the milk will be slightly thickened and you will see small curdled bits. This substitute will not become as thick as regular buttermilk, but you will also not notice the curdled bits in your finished recipe.
      Use the buttermilk. Use this substitute (including curdled bits) as you would buttermilk in your recipe.

Other Buttermilk Substitutes:

• Yogurt: Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup water to thin. Use as you would buttermilk.
    • Sour cream: Mix 3/4 cup sour cream with 1/4 cup plain water to thin. Use as you would buttermilk.
    • Kefir: Thin kefir as needed with milk or plain water until it reaches the consistency of buttermilk. Use as you would buttermilk.
    • Cream of tartar: Mix 1 cup of milk with 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes until slightly thickened and curdled

Current date/time is Mon 06 May 2024, 19:33