KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January?

Kitkat
    Kitkat

:question: Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January?

Post by Kitkat Thu 30 Jan 2020, 16:06

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January?

The UK formally leaves the European Union (EU) at 23:00 on Friday, 31 January. But it will immediately enter an 11-month transition period.

During the transition the UK will continue to obey EU rules and pay money to the EU. Most things will stay the same but there will be some changes:

1. UK MEPs lose their seats

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January? _107345781_gettyimages-1146429311
    The Brexit Party won the most UK seats in the May 2019 European elections

Familiar faces such as Nigel Farage and Ann Widdecombe are among the UK's 73 MEPs who will automatically lose their seats in the European Parliament.
    That's because, at the moment of Brexit, the UK will leave all of the EU's political institutions and agencies.
    However, in addition to the UK following EU rules during the transition period, the European Court of Justice will continue to have the final say over legal disputes.

2. No more EU summits

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will have to be specially invited if he wants to join other leaders at EU Council summits in the future.
    British ministers will also no longer attend regular EU meetings that decide things such as fishing limits.

3. We will be hearing a lot about trade

The UK will be able to start talking to countries around the world about setting new rules for buying and selling goods and services.
    It has not been allowed to hold formal trade negotiations with countries like the US and Australia while it remained an EU member. Brexit supporters argue that having the freedom to set its own trade policy will boost the UK's economy.
    There's also a lot to be discussed with the EU. Agreeing a UK-EU trade deal is a top priority, so extra charges on goods and other trade barriers aren't needed when the transition ends.
    If any trade deals are reached, they won't be able to start until the transition period ends.

4. The UK's passports will change colour

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January? _90617219_untitled-2
    Blue passports were replaced in 1988 with the burgundy design

Blue passports will be making a return, more than 30 years after they were replaced by the current burgundy design.
    Announcing the change in 2017, then Immigration Minister, Brandon Lewis, praised the return to the "iconic" blue-and-gold design, first used in 1921.
    The new colour will be phased in over a number of months, with all new passports issued in blue by the middle of the year.
    Existing burgundy passports will continue to be valid.

5. Brexit coins

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January? _110647009_mediaitem110647008
    The coins had to be re-made after Brexit was delayed

About three million commemorative 50p Brexit coins bearing the date "31 January" and the inscription: "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations", will enter circulation on Friday.
    The coin has received a mixed reaction, with some Remain supporters saying they will refuse to accept it.
    The government had planned to introduce a similar coin on 31 October, the date Brexit was previously meant to happen.
    However, those coins had to be melted down and recycled after the deadline was extended.

6. The UK's Brexit department shuts down

The team that handled the UK-EU negotiations and no-deal preparations will disband on Brexit day.
    The Department for Exiting the European Union was set up by former Prime Minister Theresa May in 2016.
    For the upcoming talks, the UK's negotiating team will be based in Downing Street.

7. Germany won't extradite its citizens to the UK

It won't be possible for some suspected criminals to be brought back to the UK if they flee to Germany.
    Germany's constitution does not allow its citizens to be extradited, unless it's to another EU country.
    "This exception cannot apply anymore after the UK has left EU," a spokesman from the German Federal Ministry of Justice told BBC News.
    It's unclear if the same restrictions will apply to other countries. Slovenia, for example, says the situation is complicated, while the European Commission was unable to provide comment.
    The UK Home Office says the European Arrest Warrant will continue to apply during the transition period. (That means Germany will be able to extradite non-German citizens.)
    However, it adds that if a country's laws prevent extradition to the UK it "will be expected to take over the trial or sentence of the person concerned".

Seven things that will stay the same...

Because the transition period begins immediately after Brexit, the vast majority of other things remain the same - at least until 31 December 2020 including:

1. Travel

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January? _110620677_gettyimages-1164615839
    UK nationals will still be treated the same as EU nationals during the transition

Flights, boats and trains will operate as usual.
    When it comes to passport control, during the transition period, UK nationals will still be allowed to queue in the areas reserved for EU arrivals only.

2. Driving licences and pet passports

As long as they are valid, these will continue to be accepted.

3. European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January? _102719497_ehic
    EHICs will still be valid during the transition

These are the cards that provide UK nationals with state-provided medical treatment in case of illness or accident.
    They can be used in any EU country (as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and will continue to be valid during the transition period.

4. Living and working in the EU

Freedom of movement will continue to apply during the transition, so UK nationals will still be able to live and work in the EU as they currently do.
    The same applies for EU nationals wanting to live and work in the UK.

5. Pensions

UK nationals living in the EU will continue to receive their state pension and will also receive the annual increase.

6. Budget contributions

The UK will continue to pay into the EU budget during the transition. This means existing schemes, paid for by EU grants, will continue to be funded.

7. Trade

UK-EU trade will continue without any extra charges or checks being introduced.

Source:  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51194363
    mac
    mac

:question: Re: Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January?

Post by mac Fri 31 Jan 2020, 00:04

Away from home this winter I have nonethless followed all the machinations of our leaders and representatives along with the general election.  I even followed the ballot resuts being returned through much of the early morning on dear old Aunty BBC. We all know the outcome but none of us have much idea how stuff will pan out in the years ahead.

Many changes are inevitable and I fear many will not be comfortable.  I have grave concerns for the welfare and prosperity of the UK and concerns that before too long we could become a disUnited Kingdom.  Crying or Very sad

What's astounded me most, however, is how news coverage has gone from Brexit seemingly every bulletin to scarcely a mention nowadays.  After three and a half years of hearing about it there's little now being reported.   I can only hope everyone who is in a position to get prepared is getting prepared!  yeah, right  Laughing 

I fear this coming year of transition will find us reeling from one shock to another as all manner of expected - and unanticipated - changes take place.  I'd bet diamonds we won't see any benefits from promised savings when we're no longer paying into the EU.  As for trade well it's anyone's guess how our leaders will do with negotiations.  I am probably too old to be directly affected by many of the changes but I care about those who will be affected.

I can only hope my pessimism will prove unfounded.

If I were the type I might be saying "God help us."
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 31 Jan 2020, 13:39

mac wrote:Away from home this winter I have nonethless followed all the machinations of our leaders and representatives along with the general election.  I even followed the ballot resuts being returned through much of the early morning on dear old Aunty BBC. We all know the outcome but none of us have much idea how stuff will pan out in the years ahead.

Many changes are inevitable and I fear many will not be comfortable.  I have grave concerns for the welfare and prosperity of the UK and concerns that before too long we could become a disUnited Kingdom.  Crying or Very sad

What's astounded me most, however, is how news coverage has gone from Brexit seemingly every bulletin to scarcely a mention nowadays.  After three and a half years of hearing about it there's little now being reported.   I can only hope everyone who is in a position to get prepared is getting prepared!  yeah, right  Laughing 

I fear this coming year of transition will find us reeling from one shock to another as all manner of expected - and unanticipated - changes take place.  I'd bet diamonds we won't see any benefits from promised savings when we're no longer paying into the EU.  As for trade well it's anyone's guess how our leaders will do with negotiations.  I am probably too old to be directly affected by many of the changes but I care about those who will be affected.

As far as I can see we are already now a "disUnited Kingdom", and its Brexit that has done that even before it started!

And whats the betting that after this year of transition anything that goes wrong, no matter what it is, is going to be blamed on Brexit and anything that looks to be going for the better will also be credited to Brexit.
    This government will have Brexit to fall back on in every decision made for the country.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Fri 31 Jan 2020, 14:46

Whiskers wrote:
    mac wrote:Away from home this winter I have nonethless followed all the machinations of our leaders and representatives along with the general election.  I even followed the ballot resuts being returned through much of the early morning on dear old Aunty BBC. We all know the outcome but none of us have much idea how stuff will pan out in the years ahead.

As far as I can see we are already now a "disUnited Kingdom", and its Brexit that has done that even before it started!  

And whats the betting that after this year of transition anything that goes wrong, no matter what it is, is going to be blamed on Brexit and anything that looks to be going for the better will also be credited to Brexit.
    This government will have Brexit to fall back on in every decision made for the country.
    Sadly I have to agree we already live in a disunited Kingdom - Queendom!

The Scots' leaders still want another referendum to determine whether Scotland can be independent of the rest of the UK, there's talk about the re-unification of the island of Ireland, I'm unsure how the Welsh feel.

Overall the Brits are split near enough 50 / 50 about leaving the EU, many bullish about 'getting sovereignty back' and 'restricting immigration' others fearful what the changes will do to our economy and regretful about a potential return to a 'little Britain' mentalty....

Only in the years to come will we actually find out the true situation and before that much will simply be conjecture.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 31 Jan 2020, 16:10

mac wrote:there's talk about the re-unification of the island of Ireland

Those 'talks' have been going on since as far back as 1921. http://www.irishborderlands.com/ireland/

I assume the 'talk' you are referring to here is Senator Mark Daly's most recent Report(?)

Senator asks Irish government to start preparations for United Ireland, after British elections
    IrishCentral Staff
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/irish-government-united-ireland-british-elections

Ignoring all the grammatical errors contained within that actual ICS article, it's maybe worth at least a cursory read of all the comments that were appended to the article, which was initially published on 13th December 2019.
    I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with David O'Connor's comment here:
    "Sadly, I think that the bowler hat / orange sash brigade mean "NEVER" when they say "Never".
    If the Republic of Ireland were to incorporate the north into the Republic they would be letting themselves in for generations of armed conflict and guerrilla warfare from the Orange sorts.
    Besides, Ireland is not really an independent sovereign state anymore. All the rules and regulations are being made by foreign officials in Brussels. It is odd, generations of Irish people over hundreds of years fought to be independent from rule from Westminster and now have happily given that away to Brussels."
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 31 Jan 2020, 22:22

Are those new Brexit 50p coins actually black, or is it just the way the light is shining on the photo?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 31 Jan 2020, 22:56

Whiskers wrote:Are those new Brexit 50p coins actually black, or is it just the way the light is shining on the photo?

I imagine it's just the lighting, Whiskers, set so that the words can be easily read in the photo.

I wonder if anyone managed to get their hands on the original October 31st minted commemorative coins - all said to have been melted down and recycled when it didn't happen on that promised date.
    I'd be very surprised if some individuals had not taken advantage of grabbing some of these coins for posterity, before their mass destruction.  Those October 31st coins will be very valuable collectors items in time to come (well, I reckon they would be pretty sought after as such already, even now - today).
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Fri 31 Jan 2020, 23:29

The recent discussion concerning Irish re-unification came about because of the border issues Brexit has raised.  I listened to it before we left home so prior to November.  I realise it's a long-running issue but Brexit gave it a changed impetus, somewhat similar to the pressure to hold another Scottish independence referendum.  Time will tell if anything comes of either.

As I'm sitting writing the Brexit deadline has just passed and in half an hour I'll 'tune in' to the Friday 31 midnight news to get a flavour of what's been going on in my homeland to mark/celebrate the departure. 

Then the UK will begin the transition year when everything will be sorted, discussed and agreed - yeah, right!  When we get home lots of it will already be figured out - come on they've had long enough to decide what comes first!!!   LOL! giggle   schaterlach
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sat 01 Feb 2020, 16:56

When are you back in the UK mac? 
    Has there been much coverage of Brexit in the US?  I suppose much of the current news there will be all to do with Trump's impeachment.  Its looking like he will be walking away scot free in a few days time.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 01 Feb 2020, 21:09

Whiskers wrote:When are you back in the UK mac? 
    Has there been much coverage of Brexit in the US?  I suppose much of the current news there will be all to do with Trump's impeachment.  Its looking like he will be walking away scot free in a few days time.
    We're due to fly home at the end of March, kk. Crying or Very sad

The actual Brexit event did get a little coverage and there was a bit more when it was the general election cum Brexit vote - the two were inseparable - but recently there's been more coverage of the Sussexes and big Andy's 'difficulties' - shall we call 'em? There's also been some coverage of the extradition refusal for Anne Sacoolas.

Certainly the big event is President Chump's impeachment proceedings and, yes, it looks set soon to be over.  Before long both Brexit and impeachment will grab fewer headlines, I suppose.  There's a cracking Brit. documentary on Netflix looking at Chump's rise to fame/notoriety.  I liked it so much I've watched twice and I found it explained his modus operandi beautifully.

I used to shake my head in disbelief at his antics but now I don't.  Wink   He's been behaving that way his whole life.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 01 Feb 2020, 21:51

A few Yank friends have asked me about Brexit and also a few Canucks.  The latter appear more knowledgeable about the situation which makes it easier to discuss.  I've found it VERY hard to explain to Americans.

Those who have travelled to Europe have some idea of geography but others have little and trying to give them an analogy they'd understand and appreciate has been a challenge - and I routinely use analogies as examples for all kinds of things. 

I regularly struggle to explain to non-travellers how the UK is made up but I can understand why they can't follow.  Such a tiny land mass comprised 4 countries and at least one of 'em trying hard to break away!   giggle schaterlach And a 'Kingdom' ruled for 75 years by a queen!   How barmy it must all seem - it certainly does to me!

When will current EU / UK passports need to be exchanged for new UK ones?
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sat 01 Feb 2020, 22:33

mac wrote:
    It was me Whiskers asking that question mac - not kk.  I go by the name of 'Misty' on lal forum, so know a bit from your discussions there about you sometimes being here and other times flitting across the pond. Smile

mac wrote:When will current EU / UK passports need to be exchanged for new UK ones?
    According to Gov.co.uk, a new blue passport design will be phased in from early 2020 over several months, and by mid-2020, all new British passports will be blue.

During the transition period, which is due to run from February 1, 2020, to January 1, 2021, all current rules on travel to the EU will remain exactly the same as they are now.
    Though a UK citizen is no longer an EU citizen, you can still travel like you did when you were.
    This means all holiday plans and other travel to Europe will be unaffected for 2020, and your passport will be valid.
    https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1235669/brexit-passports-will-i-need-to-change-my-passport-after-brexit
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 01 Feb 2020, 22:49

Whiskers wrote:
    mac wrote:
    It was me Whiskers asking that question mac - not kk.  I go by the name of 'Misty' on lal forum, so know a bit from your discussions there about you sometimes being here and other times flitting across the pond.

Just as well you weren't saying anything naughty, Whiskers. giggle
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sat 01 Feb 2020, 23:01

Kitkat wrote:Just as well you weren't saying anything naughty, Whiskers.  giggle

As if I would kk. shtum perish the thought. sidestep
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 01 Feb 2020, 23:24

Whiskers wrote:
    mac wrote:
    It was me Whiskers asking that question mac - not kk.  I go by the name of 'Misty' on lal forum, so know a bit from your discussions there about you sometimes being here and other times flitting across the pond. Smile

mac wrote:When will current EU / UK passports need to be exchanged for new UK ones?
    According to Gov.co.uk, a new blue passport design will be phased in from early 2020 over several months, and by mid-2020, all new British passports will be blue.

During the transition period, which is due to run from February 1, 2020, to January 1, 2021, all current rules on travel to the EU will remain exactly the same as they are now.
    Though a UK citizen is no longer an EU citizen, you can still travel like you did when you were.
    This means all holiday plans and other travel to Europe will be unaffected for 2020, and your passport will be valid.
    https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1235669/brexit-passports-will-i-need-to-change-my-passport-after-brexit
    oops - Embarassed  sorry for misreading, Whiskers - senior moment (for senior read 'old fart'!  confused. drunken )

The planned change to new UK passports is quicker than I'd anticipated.  Question

I'm not concerned about travel to the EU but to the US. I have a 10 year Visa in my current passport and knowing how the UK Passport Agency screws things up - and also knowing how much pressure its staff will be under and the likely delays - it's next winter I'm concerned about. 

I need my old passport to be returned along with the cancelled one and it has to be undamaged, always a source of worry whenever I renew a passport because any damage to the Visa renders it invalid.  Getting a replacement involves an expensive, time-consuming, fraught visit to London.

Inexperienced overworked staff under huge pressure to issue many hundreds of thousands of passports is an unsettling prospect for 2020 - along with all the other stuff that can - and will - go wrong.

BUT if valid EU/UK passports were to remain in force until their expiry date - or some other date well into another year - I might be able to rest easy for a while.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

:question: More on Brexit .....

Post by Kitkat Mon 03 Feb 2020, 11:37

Leak: Man Who Bankrolled Brexit Boasted of WikiLeaks Backchannel

Hacked Twitter messages raise legal questions over Cambridge Analytica, undeclared foreign lobbying, and links between Julian Assange and the Brexit and Trump campaign teams.

The man who bankrolled the campaign for Britain to quit the European Union boasted about a backchannel to WikiLeaks after Brexit leader Nigel Farage’s secret meeting with Julian Assange at the Ecuadorean embassy in London, according to private Twitter messages that have been leaked online.

The messages hacked from Farage’s biggest financial backer, Arron Banks, also raise legal questions over the involvement of Cambridge Analytica in the Brexit referendum, undeclared lobbying efforts in the U.S. on behalf of a foreign power, and a breach of data-protection law by pro-Brexit campaigners.

readmore https://www.thedailybeast.com/man-who-bankrolled-brexit-boasted-of-wikileaks-backchannel?ref=home
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 03 Feb 2020, 13:57

So on my first Radio 4 WatO broadcast I hear how the next phase of Brexit is about to begin.  The big beasts have been setting out their stalls in readiness for beginning negotiations and there's the usual warning that time-is-tight and it might be that we'll end up with a no-deal situation as the transition period deadline comes and goes.  Will there be an extension?  They say not but they said that on numerous occasions since 2016.

As I so often say, we'll see......
    OreoCat85
    OreoCat85

Job/hobbies : Housekeeping Assistant

Post by OreoCat85 Tue 04 Feb 2020, 18:32

Yes I. Tied leave and it seems I cannot get away from posts and articles about brexit at the moments lol
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 04 Feb 2020, 19:12

OreoCat85 wrote:Yes I. Tied leave and it seems I cannot get away from posts and articles about brexit at the moments lol
    And if you join in on a thread titled "Brexit: What will change after Friday, 31 January?" then you ain't gonna get away from the Brexit saga......

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 12:05