KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

5 posters

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Empty Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey

Post by Kitkat Thu 13 Oct 2011, 23:01

I used to think Michael Palin had the best job in the world - following all his adventurous travel programmes through various places throughout the world with a mixture of envy and wonder. Then came his riveting 'Sahara' series. Watched them all and wouldn't miss a single one.

But Joanna Lumley came along and topped that with her fabulous 'Joanna Lumley's Nile', following and exploring the route of the Nile from its source right through to the mouth where it enters the sea.

Now, we've got 'Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey' to enjoy on a Thursday evening. Absolutely Fabulous! I'm loving it.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Empty Re: Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey

Post by Stardust Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:02

I've got Michael Palin's book Sahara.
    Has Joanna Lumley made any books of her travels, do you know, KitKat?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 18 Oct 2011, 07:52

Stardust wrote:I've got Michael Palin's book Sahara.
    So have I - and the DVD of the series (both of them pressies)

Stardust wrote:Has Joanna Lumley made any books of her travels, do you know, KitKat?
    Not too sure, but she was at the Cheltenham Book Festival this year promoting her new book, about her life, so there may be some mention in there:

Write up in the Irish Herald about the Greek Odyssey series here by Pat Stacey (who was obviously not terribly impressed)
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/cooking-up-a-storm-2906561.html

Would the Greeks, who are currently suffering ballooning unemployment, brutal
    tax increases, vanishing pensions, savagely austere wage cuts -- which have
    halved the income in some households -- and simmering resentment and social
    unrest, really appreciate Lumley wandering among them, saying how everything
    was "fantastic", "tremendous", "stunning", "wonderful"
    and "fabulous"? Probably not.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Empty Joanna Lumley

Post by Stardust Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:58

I could listen to her talk for hours. Thanks for that, KitKat. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1029721073
    A coffin made of books, what a wonderful thought... our family loved reading too and I love being surrounded by books.
    I didn't even know she'd written one biography, and yet this is her third!
    About time I went for a long browse around W.H. Smith's I think. cat

Pat Stacey's article was harsh, although the boatman probably could have thought of a better use for the coin and pearl (why a pearl?) she threw in the water of the cave. I expect he was well paid by the programme though and if it brings in tourists it will bring in money for Greece; the article might have been a little less negative.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 18 Oct 2011, 13:42

Stardust wrote:Pat Stacey's article was harsh, although the boatman probably could have thought of a better use for the coin and pearl (why a pearl?) she threw in the water of the cave. I expect he was well paid by the programme though and if it brings in tourists it will bring in money for Greece; the article might have been a little less negative.

Pat Stacey is know for being ... let's say ... a bit of an anti-anglophile (if there's such a word) ... just getting a dig in there I reckon. Probably just jealousy Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1615486263 that [he or she? ... not sure ...] hadn't landed the coveted job of touring around all those gloriously historical places.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 18 Oct 2011, 14:10

There's been quite a few of this type of programme on over the last few years and while I generally like them, I think they try to cram too much in to too short a space of time.

Perhaps I'm unrealistically hoping they'll be educational as well as entertaining but I do find that they gloss over things.

I do like seeing the images of other places though. If I win the lottery I'll be doing my own world tour. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Afro
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Tue 18 Oct 2011, 14:46

I'm only branching out now--in my very small way. I was too timid to travel far from home when I was young and the money was always a consideration. I'll have to be contented with the TV view of all those wonderful places. It's a poor second. I'd still love to visit Hawaii. I fancy myself dancing in one of those grass skirts with a minimal lei on top. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 202371428
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 18 Oct 2011, 14:57

Well I went on a hot air balloon ride last year after watching a TV programme where they used a balloon to look down over African wildlife.

I wouldn't care but if there's one thing I am a bit dodgy with it's heights!

I was shaking like a shitting dog (as the saying goes Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Grin) on lift off but once I'd relaxed a bit, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is incredibly serene in a balloon (when the burner's off) and as you travel at the same speed as the wind, it's very calm.

One of the things I remember is looking down on farms. Sheep and cows were hardly spectacular but looking down on horses... well, they look magnificent.

A hot air balloon ride was something I always fancied doing and I'm really glad I did it.
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Tue 18 Oct 2011, 15:15

Well now, I'd be terrified up there. I'd get dizzy and be in danger of falling out --or so I would imagine. It's very brave to do the things you're scared of no matter what they are. I don't like heights either.

Btw-are you going to post another mystery word in place of the one you forgot? We're waiting for it. Wink
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 18 Oct 2011, 15:37

Another mystery word? Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Ponder
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Tue 18 Oct 2011, 15:45

In the thread, "Imaginary Words", you put "d----r" (I'm not sure if that's the right number of spaces) and your clue was "brief" but you couldn't remember the word. You thought it was to do with a lawyer. Nobody else could think of the word either so maybe you could supply another one so that the game can continue. Don't make it too hard!!!!! Rolling Eyes
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 18 Oct 2011, 19:37

Feather wrote:In the thread, "Imaginary Words", you put "d----r" (I'm not sure if that's the right number of spaces) and your clue was "brief" but you couldn't remember the word. You thought it was to do with a lawyer. Nobody else could think of the word either so maybe you could supply another one so that the game can continue. Don't make it too hard!!!!! Rolling Eyes

um ... Feather .... Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1747242660 I just cottoned on to what you're on about there ... That was Jamboree in the 'Guess the Word' thread!! s'Okay ... Umberto ... I think Feather's just getting a little over-imaginative with her "Imaginary Words". Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 481982875 Feather ... just keep taking the tablets..... drunken

Where's Jamboree got to anyway?
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Tue 18 Oct 2011, 21:06

I did have a quick look but had to get out to work. Yes, I started at 4PM and was home by 5. Bloody hard day today. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Angry

Now I know why I couldn't find it!
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 07:50

Umberto Cocopop wrote:I did have a quick look but had to get out to work. Yes, I started at 4PM and was home by 5. Bloody hard day today. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Angry

Shifts at Macdonalds getting shorter?lol!
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:42

"Would madam be requiring fries with that?"

See, I'm a high class burger flipper! Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Grin

I have my own business but I have to do a post office run most days. What God was thinking when he gave me this life of toil I just don't know. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Undecided
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 27 Oct 2011, 22:18

Just watched tonight's programme continuing Joanna's exploration of the Greek Islands.
    A lot of these places I have visited on my travels. So many memories ...

They are all available here to watch again, from the beginning of the series - each one available for 30 days after the broadcast date:

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=280691

13th October
    (16 days left to view)
    New series. Joanna begins her journey at the Parthenon in Athens, which was created by the ancient Greeks two and a half thousand years ago.

20th October
    (23 days left)
    Joanna travels across the northernmost regions of Greece, from Corfu to the turbulent eastern border. Foreign invasions have left a fascinating legacy here.

27th October
    (30 days left)
    Joanna continues her journey through Greece. In the third episode she explores some of its fourteen hundred islands, including Crete, Kos and the volcano on Nisyros.
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Fri 28 Oct 2011, 10:06

Umberto Cocopop wrote:"Would madam be requiring fries with that?"

See, I'm a high class burger flipper! Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Grin

LMFAO!!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 4274503960

I have my own business but I have to do a post office run most days. What God was thinking when he gave me this life of toil I just don't know. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Undecided

Don't be blaming the notorious G O D there Bongo!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 2359006407 It's your career choice!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 2499344408

What is this business of yours then that requires a post office run? HmmmmmJoanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 2238782717 lemme think...........

You have a knitting business. Yes, that's it! I can see you now, feet up watching Jeremy Kyle, click clacking away.lol!

Or maybe........

You are chief admin for the Jon Donnis fan club!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971

So what do you do with the other 23 hours and 45 minutes of the day?Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 4274503960

The Complaining About Donnis Department on the other hand works on a shift basis with compulsory overtime due to heavy workload.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 481982875

I love Jon, he is sooo passionate about ridding the world of all things woo. It excites me.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 592502337

High class burger flipper!!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102 That would work around where I live.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971 They can't flip a smile let alone a burger and some of them are a bit duh uh as in the engine is running but there aint nobody driving, possibly due to inhaling too much of the old wacky backy round the back of the Coop.Shocked They should really talk to Frank.Rolling Eyes

I would like my own business. I have always wanted my own book shop. LARGE paranormal section of course, next to coffee machine and radiator.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971 Will find a little shelf (somewhere by the door) for the sceptical books.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1074908227 I love books, it would be my dream job although I would probably end up like him out of Black Books!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Fri 28 Oct 2011, 15:42

Pixie wrote:You are chief admin for the Jon Donnis fan club!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971
    Now that would be even more cushy than my own job - being that this club consists of 1 member.

Pixie wrote:So what do you do with the other 23 hours and 45 minutes of the day?Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 4274503960
    Pure and utter laziness.

I actually do a lot of programming stuff for websites and such like too - which does keep me busy - but I'm not doing anything more till next year, I've decided. Hence me popping back up on here.

Pixie wrote:High class burger flipper!!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102 That would work around where I live.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971
    D'ya reckon I'd pull some top totty then with a title like that?

Pixie wrote:I would like my own business. I have always wanted my own book shop.
    Do it online. Mind you, I think there's a tad of competition when it comes to books!

Pixie wrote:LARGE paranormal section of course
    Naturellement. Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Cool

Pixie wrote:Will find a little shelf (somewhere by the door) for the sceptical books.
    Just like a normal book shop then! Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Grin

Pixie wrote:I would probably end up like him out of Black Books!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102
    Erm.... Newsflash..... You already are my old dear! Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Eek3
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Sat 29 Oct 2011, 08:21

Umberto Cocopop wrote:
    Pixie wrote:You are chief admin for the Jon Donnis fan club!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971
    Now that would be even more cushy than my own job - being that this club consists of 1 member.

Oh I don't know...he's branching out and using Facebook and Twitter (so apt) He's bribed a few people to befwend him.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971

Pixie wrote:High class burger flipper!!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102 That would work around where I live.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971

Umberto Cocopop wrote:D'ya reckon I'd pull some top totty then with a title like that?

Not round here...these lot think being posh is 'dressing up like er what was in Spice Girls'!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 481982875

If you like your women in lycra leggings and crop tops complete with gravy stains (having dropped their tray of chips while they were having some against the park wall).......then come and flip yer burgers around here.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971

Should probably mention that the average size around here is a good 18+. Nothing wrong in that until they start cramming it in lycra. It's putting my partner off his driving.Suspect There is some serious camel toe going on here.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 2359006407 I can't wear leggings on account that they make my legs look like a couple of Turkey DrummersJoanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 4274503960

Pixie wrote:I would like my own business. I have always wanted my own book shop.

Umberto Cocopop wrote:Do it online. Mind you, I think there's a tad of competition when it comes to books!

I know. Have thought of that. I might try Ebay at first and get a sellers account on there. Trawling the car boot sales are always good for picking up books as people don't realise the value of what they are flogging half of the time.

Pixie wrote:I would probably end up like him out of Black Books!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 40742102

Umberto Cocopop wrote:Erm.... Newsflash..... You already are my old dear! Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Eek3

Cheeky git!

I meant pissed!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1197659321

FYI (love that lol it's soooo Louie Spence) I am not oldJoanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 2359006407

I am matured in a fine wine way, not a pongy cheese way.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 1121757446 Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 481982875

Although me feet do smell a bit Stiltony after a day in trainers.lol!
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Sat 29 Oct 2011, 08:27

KitKat wrote:Now, we've got 'Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey' to enjoy on a Thursday evening. Absolutely Fabulous! I'm loving it.

Ab Fab!!Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 631737971

I loved her in that. She was hilarious.Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 4274503960

I love her voice. Silky soft. I wish I could sound like that. I sound like a bloke.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey Empty Joanna Lumley's Nile

Post by Kitkat Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:02

Watched the first part of Joanna Lumley's Nile on TV yesterday.

In this stunning four-part series, British actress Joanna Lumley travels the entire length of the world's longest river, the Nile, from its mouth at Alexandria, to its source, high in the Rwandan mountains. Joanna's epic river journey sees her travel by train, road and boat, encompassing the rich, varied history and contemporary daily life of the river Nile. Follow her as she meets the survivor of a crocodile attack and explores an ancient African kingdom; visits Khartoum, where the White and Blue Niles meet; travels to Ethiopia's Simien Mountains to meet a group of Olympic hopefuls and meets some local beauty queens in Juba, southern Sudan. Joanna's interaction with everyone she meets brings this rare and beautiful expedition to life.

The first episode starts in Egypt.  Brought back lovely memories, but sad ones too ... memories of my friend John who just recently passed.  I visited most of the places mentioned in that episode with John.  From Cairo, Joanna journeys part-train/part boat down the Nile to Luxor, the Temple of Karnak and the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings.  We toyed between getting the train (14 hours journey!) or flying there, and decided to take the plane, as the prospect of 14 hours stuck on a train in that fierce heat wasn't really all that inviting.  I did get to go on a felluca on the Nile though, at night time in Cairo itself.  A little wooden raft-type boat with a lantern hanging from a string above our heads, just enough room for 3 people; us two and the wizened old Egyptian guy who was [driving? steering? sailing?] it.  It was pitch dark and this hanging lantern was our only light, bobbing and swinging in the wind.  There was a fierce wind that night and it kept blowing the lantern out, leaving us in total darkness in the middle of this pitch black river (although the lights of Cairo were all around us).  Very strange, exotic and scary experience. 

Found this photo that John took of me taken from the Mohamed Ali Palace, a fabulous viewpoint taking in almost the whole of Cairo. Very Happy

I had 'elephant feet' for the first few days in Egypt.  When I got off the plane both of my feet had swollen up (never happened to me before!) ... and the night before this photo was taken we had been to a Son et Lumiere Show ('Sound & Light' - totally awe-inspiring) at the Pyramids at Giza - where some pesky mosquitoes annoyedangry had taken a liking to my feet and ankles (hadn't thought mosquito repellent was needed for my feet!)  So, swollen and red suffering for the next day or so. 

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey 9035622962_c4702960c9

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 04:21