KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

3 posters

Farewell to Steve Jobs

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Farewell to Steve Jobs Empty Farewell to Steve Jobs

Post by Kitkat Thu 06 Oct 2011, 23:28

A successful entrepreneur and a loving family man. The kind of guy you'd be proud to take home to meet your parents. A truly lovely all-round guy. RIP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/06/steve-jobs-world-pays-tribute

In a speech at Stanford University in 2005, Steve Jobs said: "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life."

He added: "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember watching and listening to this speech broadcast on TV. It was particularly profound for me as I was going through my first course of radiotherapy at the time, spending my days at the hospital, meeting and talking with other cancer sufferers of varying degrees, some terminal, and all with their own individual ways of coping ... or not. Each day brought a different story.

This approach, in the face of his battle with a rare form of hormonal cancer, has led to admiration from cancer charities.

His death was announced on Thursday morning just weeks after he stood down as CEO of Apple.

Steve Jobs was diagnosed with a rare neuroendocrine tumour in his pancreas in 2004, although the exact cause of his death remains unclear.

Unlike the most common form of pancreatic cancer, which is aggressive and has a poor survival rate, Steve Jobs' cancer is slow-growing and it is not unusual for people to live for many years after diagnosis.

Choices

Catherine Bouvier, director of the NET Patient Foundation, which represents people with neuroendocrine tumours, said: "For many people diagnosed with cancer can be the most horrific, life-changing experience.

"It's particularly hard for that to happen in public.

"Steve Jobs was remarkable."

But she said the charity also saw many patients who wanted to carry on with normal life throughout their illness.

She said the relatively slow progress of these cancers meant people often did decide to try to carry on with their normal life as much as possible.

However Laura Dillingham, of Macmillan Cancer Support, said: "Steve continued to work despite his diagnosis but not all cancer patients will want, or be able, to do this.

"The effect a cancer diagnosis and treatment has on a patient's ability to work depends on the type and stage of their cancer and how they are affected physically and emotionally by their treatment."

She said people had to make choices based on their individual situations.

"Evidence shows that for people who have experienced ill health or disability, remaining in or returning to work can actually help to promote recovery and lead to better health.

"Some people want to work through or after cancer treatment to restore normality, social contact and to get an income.

"For other people, it will be an opportunity to rethink their lives and consider retraining, retiring or taking early retirement."

She added: "It's important people living with cancer do what is right for them and aren't rushed into going back to work by their employer. Businesses can make a big difference to the lives of employees who've been affected by cancer by making a few small changes to their environment or working hours."
    Anonymous
    Mr Chips

Farewell to Steve Jobs Empty Re: Farewell to Steve Jobs

Post by Mr Chips Tue 11 Oct 2011, 22:05

A moving speech made by Steve Jobs in 2005

How to live before you die
    http: //www dot ted dot com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Wed 12 Oct 2011, 22:43

Link doesn't work. Shame. I would like to have listened to that.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 13 Oct 2011, 09:14

Jamboree wrote:Link doesn't work. Shame. I would like to have listened to that.

Guests are not allowed to put up links, Jamboree. lol - Mr Chips seems to have got around that one by substituting the . for dot pirat

Try this http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

Thanks for that, Mr Chips. Yes, it's a very moving and poignant speech.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Farewell to Steve Jobs Empty How to live before you die. Steve Jobs

Post by Stardust Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:07

It's also on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlN78N1NN8
    "How to live before you die": Steve Jobs speaks at Stanford University (2005).

There's also a short biography at the beginning read by John Hennessy.
    If you want to zap this part, start at 7min:30seconds.

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 11:25