KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

3 posters

Tom Yum Soup

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Tom Yum Soup Empty Tom Yum Soup

Post by Kitkat Tue 08 Nov 2016, 17:09

This is the hot and sour Thai soup that I love so much and regularly get from my local Chinese/Thai takeaway place.
    (I call it Tum Yum - the name says it all!)

I've decided to experiment today and try and make my own at home.  Found these 2 easy recipes online and I'm going to flit between the two and try and make my own version.  If it comes out OK, I will do some more and have it ready for my niece and her OH who will be here this weekend, over from Holland.

TOM YUM CHICKEN SOUP

2tsp tom yum paste
    600ml (1pt) chicken stock, hot (fresh if possible)
    2 kaffir lime leaves
    1 stick lemongrass, thickly sliced
    squeeze fresh lime juice
    1tbsp fish sauce
    1 long red chilli, finely sliced
    1tsp caster sugar
    75g (3oz) leftover cooked chicken, shredded
    75g (3oz) button mushrooms, halved
    1 tomato, chopped into thin wedges
    fresh coriander leaves, to garnish

Heat the tom yum paste in a medium saucepan. Add the hot chicken stock, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, lime juice, fish sauce, chilli and sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes to infuse all the flavours and make a spicy stock.

Add the chicken, halved button mushrooms and tomato wedges and simmer for another 2 minutes to warm through. Divide the soup between 2 bowls, then garnish with some fresh coriander leaves to serve.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

1tbsp vegetable oil
        6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
        400g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips
        1tbsp tom yum paste
        900ml chicken stock
        2 kaffir lime leaves
        150g green beans or mange tout
        Few small whole red chilli peppers, optional
        1tsp caster sugar
        Squeeze of lime juice
        1tbsp fish sauce
        Salt and freshly ground black pepper
        Handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped

1. Heat the oil in a large wok or deep frying pan and fry the spring onions for 2 to 3 mins. Add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 4 to 5 mins until no longer pink. Stir in the tom yum paste and cook for 1 min.

2. Pour in the stock and add the lime leaves and green beans or mange tout and small whole chilli peppers, if using. Simmer gently for 10 to 15 mins until the chicken is just cooked.

3. Add the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the coriander and simmer for 1 to 2 mins until just wilted. Serve in warmed bowls.

Also discovered that one of the ingredients in particular - Galangan (which is actually included in these recipes in the Tom Yam paste that I'm using) is extremely beneficial health-wise, for things like rheumatic pain and gastric problems (to name just a few).  It's actually a natural medicine, apparently widely used in Asian countries.
    It's probably not that easy to get fresh around here, but I'll have a look up in Tesco's which does have a wide range of herbs and spices.
    Meanwhile, I have found a very helpful video with tips on how to make this soup.  The recipe there substitutes the chicken for shrimp - but as this is not something that agrees with me, I will be using the chicken version ....

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Tom Yum Soup Empty Re: Tom Yum Soup

Post by Kitkat Tue 08 Nov 2016, 17:14

Well, I found all the ingredients I needed in Tesco's - except for the gallangal - but it's not actually a listed ingredient in either of my two chosen above recipes and it's contained in the Tom Yum paste anyway, so doesn't really matter.

15 Amazing Benefits of Galangal For Skin, Hair and Health

We use and speak of many herbs on a daily basis. But how many of you have used or even heard of the herb Galangal? In this article, we give you all the information needed!

What Is Galangal?

Galangal is an herb that comes from the ginger family and belongs to genus Alpinia (1). This herb is mainly found in South-East Asia and is widely used as a spice to flavor food products. It is native to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Galangal herb in all its forms of Galangal seeds, oil and more has been widely used as a herbal medicine since ages. This herb is used as a medicine in Middle-East and India. Today, it is being imported widely in Europe for its flavor and medicinal properties. There are four main types of galangal – Chinese ginger, greater galangal, sand ginger and lesser galangal.

Health Benefits of Galangal:

1. Eating galangal helps in relieving the discomfort caused in stomach and abdomen due to inflammation or other diseases (1).
    2. It helps in curbing down the sea and motion sickness (2).
    3. It also helps in promoting the blood circulation in the body (3).
    4. When suffering from diarrhea, you can always eat a few slices of galangal as it gives immediate relief (4).

Skin Benefits of Galangal:

5. Apart from its medicinal values, it is also widely used for skin care. Galangal juice can be applied topically for the treatment of many skin diseases. It consists of 40 antioxidants that help in protecting the skin against aging (5).
    6. This herb removes the toxins from the body and improves the blood circulation (6). This results in the release of extra nutrients to the skin tissues. The antioxidants present in galangal prevent the free radicals from damaging the skin, thus preserving the youthfulness of the skin.
    7. The juice of galangal acts as a great healing medicine for skin burns. When the juice of this herb is applied topically on the burnt skin, it provides relief from pain and will also heal. You can also rub fresh slices of galangal on the skin 2 to 3 times every day to reduce the scars.
    You will note the difference in 6 to 12 weeks. Always make sure that you use fresh galangal juice or slices on the skin.
    8. It is a powerful antiseptic and cleanser that helps to keep the skin clean, blemish free and smooth ([url=https://books.google.co.in/books?id=aQP2ztsTssUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=A+Thai+Herbal:+Traditional+Recipes+for+Health+and+Harmony&hl=en&sa=X&ei=h62iVOLGHsaNuAT1toKQCQ&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=A Thai Herbal%3A Traditional Recipes for Health and harmony&f=false]7[/url]). This herb revitalizes and rekindles your skin. This is also widely accepted as a natural fighter against acne. When applied, it reduces the formation and eruption of acne by clearing the bacteria from skin.

Hair Benefits of Galangal:

9. It has also been used in the treatment of hair and scalp. This was used widely as an Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of diseases related to hair and scalp (8).
    10. The oil of galangal is known to be advantageous for hair growth.
    11. The use of galangal on scalp increases the blood circulation and thus, it promotes hair growth. The fatty acids of galangal are great for thin hair. The juice of galangal can be mixed with jojoba oil and applied to the thinning hair. This concoction will help you counter hair loss and promote hair growth.
    12. It is a great remedy for dry and brittle hair as it contains zinc, vitamins and phosphorous which provide bounce and shine to hair (9).
    13. This is the best remedy for countering the problem of hair loss. The extracts of galangal will make your hair stronger and will also provide a nice fragrance!
    14. The extracts of galangal can also be used for the treatment of split ends. This condition is seen when the hair is exposed to pollution, excess heat and other forms of damage.
    15. Dandruff is a common problem all over the world. The antiseptic properties of galangal will greatly help in getting rid of dandruff permanently. The oil extracted from galangal can be applied on the scalp. Alternatively, you can mix freshly grated galangal with olive oil or sesame oil. You can also mix lemon juice to this concoction and apply it to the scalp to treat dandruff.

Nutritional Value of Galangal:

Galangal is a good source of fiber. It is rich in iron, sodium, Vitamin A, C, flavonoids, phytonutrients, emodin, beta-sitosterol, quercetin, and galangin. These are some popular nutrients found in this herb.
    In the end, you must also remember that galangal is a plant herb and can cause allergies. If you are prone to allergies or have sensitive skin, you must take precautions before you apply it on your skin.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 09 Nov 2016, 07:02

So have you made them yet and if so how did they turn out, Kitkat?

Looks good in the photo.

I wonder if there's a vegetarian version...
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 09 Nov 2016, 08:04

Stardust wrote:So have you made them yet and if so how did they turn out, Kitkat?

Yes, made it yesterday, and it's absolutely tum yum deelish!  (Not quite the same as my takeaway one, but just as good  A1  - even though I say so myself  giggle  ).  The only thing I would change is to take out the lemon grass sticks before serving.  Great for the flavouring, but not to bite into!  Now that I come to think of it, I think yer one in the video did actually say that - they just for the cooking but take out before serving. I did bruise them properly before putting in.  Anyway, I'll know for the next time.  So quick and easy to rustle up; I had a lovely bowl of tum yum ready and waiting for when I got back from my Spook Night.  The takeaway will probably be wondering what's happened to me, as every Tuesday without fail, I go there for my favourite takeaway soup on the way home from Spook Night.

I wonder if there's a vegetarian version...

Yes, plenty!  Here's one for starters:

'The Yummiest Tom Yum Veggie Soup Ever'

From the blog of

Stephanie Kordan   Los Angeles-based writer, food blogger, adventurous vegetarian and home cook  
    Tom Yum Soup N-TOM-YUM-VEGGIE-SOUP-628x314
    Stephanie Kordan

Thai soups are plentiful in their many variations and flavors. The base of this vegetarian soup recipe, known as Tom Yum, is lemongrass, galangal root, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, tomato and spices. I simply used whatever veggies I had at home— bok choy, broccoli, tomato, orange and red sweet peppers, zucchini— and just could not resist adding coconut milk.

Lemongrass is easily found in Asian supermarkets, as is galangal root, which is a cousin to ginger. Though completely inedible itself, galangal perfumes this soup beautifully. It tastes terribly camphorous and medicinal if chewed, however, I promise you, the main reason that galangal root is used is because it creates that unique

Thai flavor that makes all the difference in the yum factor.

This is not the traditional hot-and-sour Tom Yum, but my own vegetarian recipe made in a true ‘California Thai’ style. The sweet, sour, spicy and citrus notes swirl together in the pot to create that umami yum we savor in Thai cooking.

The base broth for a traditional Thai Tom Yum soup is typically fish/shrimp stock, fresh lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal root, lime juice, fish sauce, and chili peppers. Then vegetables and shrimp are added in along with cilantro leaves to garnish.

Galangal root and lemongrass create pungent flavor while kaffir lime leaves and freshly squeezed lime juice gives a citrusy-sour essence to the soup. There are many variations of this recipe as it is made differently according to the region of Thailand— my recipe is adapted from a traditional Bangkok/Central Plains version, omitting shrimp and fish sauce. Not using fish sauce in particular makes it less authentic and probably unheard of by traditional methods. But that is fine because this is a vegetarian recipe and not exact, so why not add a splash of coconut milk and ginger too? I had some fresh turmeric root on hand and decided to grate it in with the ginger for vibrant color.

I have fun experimenting with different ingredients and don’t follow many rules. This Tom Yum soup base is made with a touch of coconut milk like the Tom Kha version, which is aromatic and creamy using the same ingredient base as Tom Yum, but with an addition of chicken and coconut milk. Rather than the soup containing tomato and lime juice only, coconut milk gives dimension to the texture and flavor. Tofu is sometimes added in place of chicken, though I recommend adding the tofu to each individual serving instead of the entire pot. In Thai restaurants the tofu is occasionally pan-fried before adding to soup.

Another Thai ingredient is kaffir lime leaves. These fragrant leaves are wonderful and quite like using bay leaves. If you can find these in the Asian supermarket they are in the produce section. The market I go to has the leaves pre-packaged in a little cellophane-wrapped flat, and there are more kaffir lime leaves than I can use up entirely, as you only need a few per soup pot.

Since Asian supermarkets are easily found where I live in Los Angeles, Thai groceries are aplenty, however many Asian vegetables can be found at farmers’ market as well. You can adapt this recipe using ginger, lime and veggies. I am searching for a pre-made vegetarian nam prik pow paste (black chili paste) but meanwhile I’ll try my hand at making one at home without the shrimp paste that is the standard of most Thai seasoning.

I am a California girl that loves Thai cuisine. It’s been a favorite of mine since I was a young girl growing up near the Thai Town neighborhoods where I still frequent when in search of authentic Thai food. Making this recipe takes little time and is quite satisfying to enjoy right away without much cooking involved. The freshness of this soup is best when served immediately.

Tom Yum Soup 2015-06-04-1433436403-2118320-SensualFoodieTomYumSoupLimes1024x714-thumb
    Thai Tom Yum Vegetable Soup

INGREDIENTS
    3 cups clear vegetable broth
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine/mirin
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 shallots, sliced
    5 kaffir lime leaves
    3 thin slices fresh galangal root
    2 stalks lemongrass, lower white portion, cut into 4-inch lengths, pounded and bruised
    5 green Thai chili peppers, optional, to your liking in spice level
    2 tomatoes, cut into small wedges
    2 zucchini, quartered and cut into wedges
    6 baby bok choy, whole
    2 small orange sweet peppers, chopped
    2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
    1 cup of baby broccoli crowns
    2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
    1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
    2 limes, cut into wedges
    1 cup coconut milk
    1/2 cup sautéed tofu (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Add the garlic, shallots and tablespoon of coconut oil into the pot and sauté on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Splash in a dash of rice wine (or mirin) and allow it to cook off a little, about 2 minutes.

Pour in the vegetable broth, continuing to keep the heat set on medium flame. Add in the lemongrass, galangal root, chili peppers, kaffir lime leaves and heat for about 6 minutes. Add the coconut milk into the soup.

Now add the veggies in— bok choy, red and orange sweet peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini— and cook for about 10 minutes on a medium-high heat. Do not over-boil your veggies! You want everything very fresh and crisp. The bok choy and broccoli especially, otherwise it will turn color and look less appetizing.

Using tongs, remove the galangal root, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass and set aside. This way you do not serve it in your bowl, however, save them to add back into the pot to simmer and flavor your remaining soup.

NOTE: Place the galangal root slices, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass inside a herb sachet. That way you can continue to season your soup without worry of eating these aromatics.

Turn off flame and serve in wide bowls, adding in fresh grated ginger (if you like) and garnish with squeezed lime juice and cilantro leaves. if you have any additions that make you happy, add them in to your serving bowl.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 09 Nov 2016, 22:17

Photo doesn't look as good as yours.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 09 Nov 2016, 23:21

Stardust wrote:Photo doesn't look as good as yours.

How about this one?

Tom Yum Soup 5vegetarian-tom-yum-hed

Recipe here:  http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/vegetarian-tom-yum-hed

You can of course add whatever veg of your choice that you want.  My takeaway one varies; that's what I love about it - sometimes there's shredded carrots in there, brocolli, cucumber, cabbage, etc - sometimes hotter than other times ...
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Thu 10 Nov 2016, 19:13

I'm sure they're both delicious.

I do feel sorry for your local takeaway who's lost a regular Tuesday customer.

Tonight: vegetable curry and triple rice (basmati, red Camargue and black wild rice).

Yummy yum!

purr
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 11 Nov 2016, 14:08

Well, my Tum Yum has officially passed the tasting test today.  My niece and her bf over from Holland and also a friend of hers from school (in Indonesia) who is now living here in London and they met up with her here today for the first time in a long time (got back in touch thru FaceBook).  So the perfect judges for my Tum Yum effort.  (My second effort was not so nice at all, because I decided to experiment and change it slightly.  Ended up putting too much lime juice in it, so the lime flavour took over. 

So, did some more quick experimenting to try and tone down the overpowering lime flavour, without spoiling the other flavours in the soup- added some paprika (which was not in any of the recipes), another tomato and a little more sugar.  Turned out perfect!  They've all thoroughly enjoyed it and given their verdict and now it's all gone.

Stardust wrote:I do feel sorry for your local takeaway who's lost a regular Tuesday customer.

Oh, I've definitely not given up with my regular fix.  I'll be back next Tuesday for my usual!
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Sat 12 Nov 2016, 19:45

You were lucky to find inspiration to cover the overpowering lime juice, Kitkat, and to end up with a dish even more delicious than the original.

You always seem to have international visitors - must make for very interesting conversations over your scrumptious meals.

purr
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Sun 04 Dec 2016, 22:37

What time is dinner being served in the KK household? yum yum tum, what time shall I come?

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:57