KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

Inside Australia's Detention Camps

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Inside Australia's Detention Camps

Post by Kitkat on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 01:55

I feel quite sick.
I happened across this Storyville programme shown on BBC4 today (1st November 2016).  This is the first I have heard of the horrendous (apparently legalised) inhumane treatment by the Australian government of asylum seekers.

The programme is saved here on BBC iPlayer, available to watch for a limited period. (see the countdown in red below)
The world should be made aware of this intolerable situation.  Some people are facing up to 2 years in prison for 'speaking out' about this.

Chasing Asylum - Inside Australia's Detention Camps

Documentary which exposes the impact of Australia's offshore detention policies through the personal accounts of people seeking asylum and whistleblowers who tried to work within the system. Australia has successfully stopped hopeful asylum seekers and refugees from reaching its shores. Anyone picked up making the treacherous journey across the Indian Ocean is sent to Australian off-shore detention camps on the remote tropical islands of Manus and Nauru. Once there, men, women and children are held in indefinite detention, away from media scrutiny. Featuring never-before-seen footage of the appalling living conditions and shocking testimonies from both detainees and camp workers, Chasing Asylum exposes the impact of this policy on those seeking a safer home.

First shown: 9pm 1 Nov 2016
Duration 60 mins
Available for a limited period only
(Contains some strong language and upsetting scenes)

Watch the documentary arrow  HERE

Available for a further
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Re: Inside Australia's Detention Camps

Post by Stardust on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 17:17

I won't watch that, my imagination is sufficient to guess the content and I'm too afraid that I might see something so much worse than that. Seen too much horror the last couple of years.

Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Post by Kitkat on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 15:39

Stardust wrote:I won't watch that, my imagination is sufficient to guess the content and I'm too afraid that I might see something so much worse than that. Seen too much horror the last couple of years.

It probably is much worse than your imagination expects.  It was, quite frankly, an awful shock for me (and I am not easily shocked) - especially concerning what is assumed to be a relatively civilized country!
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Female

Star sign : Libra
Chinese zodiac : Cat

Post by Feather on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 17:36

It's the rise of ISIS which has caused this change in attitude to immigrants. Their aim is world domination.

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 14:59