KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Giant caterpillar web!

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Giant caterpillar web! Empty Giant caterpillar web!

Post by Kitkat Sat 28 May 2016, 11:59

Have you ever seen anything like this?  surprised

'Giant caterpillar web cordoned off after becoming visitor attraction'

Giant caterpillar web! _89820605_web2

A 30ft-long caterpillar web beside a Stirling DIY store has been cordoned off after becoming a tourist attraction.

Thousands of caterpillars have covered a bush with the giant nest beside the city's Wickes store.

Visitors from as far away as Motherwell have travelled to see the unusual sight.

The creatures feed on cherry trees, hawthorn and blackthorn and build the webs to ward off predators.

One onlooker said he "hadn't seen anything like it in 50 years", with another calling it "creepy, scary and amazing",

Giant caterpillar web! _89817637_web

The store has now cordoned off the web to protect it, with a company spokeswoman saying it was "in the process of finding out more."

Source link  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-36399909
    Stardust
    Stardust

Giant caterpillar web! Empty Re: Giant caterpillar web!

Post by Stardust Sun 29 May 2016, 13:17

There won't be a bush left there when they've finished with it. Poor bush. surprised
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 01 Jun 2016, 12:42

One day the cobwebs will disappear and instead they will see butterflies fluttering around everywhere. flower
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 01 Jun 2016, 20:49

Whiskers wrote:One day the cobwebs will disappear and instead they will see butterflies fluttering around everywhere. flower

That's a beautiful thought, Whiskers. sunny

Good to see you back, by the way.  I thought you had abandoned us.  Missed reading your regular history headlines for the day.  I do look forward to reading in there.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 01 Jun 2016, 23:22

I wasnt sure if anyone ever read it kk. What a Face Just back from a lovely few days in Ireland. We had a holiday cottage in Donegal. No internet and no mobile phone reception! We had to go to a village 6 miles away for internet. The locals dont want it! They have a big campaign against it. Twice a 45 foot mast has been erected and has been pulled down by angry campaigners. They are really serious about this, its a round-the-clock campaign to keep the mobile phone companies out.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:17

Well I say "Good for them". If they don't want internet and mobile phones the companies should respect that. Trouble is all these companies can think of is how much money they would make if all the locals became addicted to these 'new' technologies.

A holiday cottage in Donegal sounds blissful, calm and peaceful.

I read "This day in history" sometimes, usually several days at a go because I don't visit the forum every day. It's very interesting so I hope you keep it up, Whiskers.

Imagine thousands of pretty butterflies, but where will they go to reproduce? It could rapidly get out of hand in the  middle of a town, but maybe the store is out in the countryside. I don't know what usually happens in a situation like this, but I expect the local authorities know and the fact they're leaving the web probably means there's no danger.
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Wed 08 Jun 2016, 05:04

Sorry to shatter the pretty fluttering image, but more likely to be that round about late July/August these caterpillars will turn into small ermine moths. rabbit nuts
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 08 Jun 2016, 13:05

Jamboree wrote:Sorry to shatter the pretty fluttering image, but more likely to be that round about late July/August these caterpillars will turn into small ermine moths. rabbit  nuts

surprised  Aw Jamboree, you bubble-burster you!  

Giant caterpillar web! 66483788  crybaby
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:37

Been looking on the web giggle but couldn't find a follow-up article.
    It would have been nice if somebody had put a video on YouTube of the Ermine moths flying away.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 10 Aug 2016, 15:47

Stardust wrote:Been looking on the web giggle
    lololol

Fascinating as it all is, I don't think I'd like to be anywhere in the vicinity when they eventually emerge into moths. Will they all do at the same time in one day?  surprised   Just imagine ... It'll be like something out of a nightmare horror film.  scared

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3611118/If-buy-bug-spray-Huge-caterpillar-web-completely-cocoons-30ft-long-bush-DIY-store-car-park.html

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:31