KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

5 posters

Christmas gifts

Curious
    Curious

Christmas gifts Empty Christmas gifts

Post by Curious Fri 18 Dec 2015, 03:14

A friend and I exchange gifts we give each other a list, I got all on her list and wrapped them. Yesterday she dropped off mine, not wrapped just put in a Christmas bag, I could see some of what was in the bags and not things on my list. I put the bag away as I can wait for Christmas. I told her she can have hers next week, she was disappointed but then so am I. We see each other every week so I don't understand her bringing mine so early. Maybe I'm being petty,judge
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Christmas gifts Empty Re: Christmas gifts

Post by Kitkat Fri 18 Dec 2015, 10:48

On the surface, Curious, it does seem to be rather petty ... but then it depends on how well you know your friend, how long this tradition has been carried on and probably some other factors in between.  It might even be the case that your friend is a bit strapped for cash this year, can't afford to fork out for the precise things on the list, wrapping paper etc all adds up.... (and she may not wish to talk to anyone about it and to broadcast the fact).  She might even be a bit depressed or worried about something and this time of year can exaggerate all sorts of feelings and situations ....  It might be a good idea to specifically mention it to your friend when you see her next week and find out if there is an underlying reason.

After all, when all is said and done, it really is the thought that counts where present-giving is concerned, far more than the actual gift itself.  Perhaps you both need to share your thoughts with each other on this occasion(?)  Good friends should be able to talk openly and honestly with each other.  If there is a problem, then there's more chance of it being ironed out in time before things get out of hand.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Fri 18 Dec 2015, 18:20

A Christmas bag or stocking is the "in thing" these days.  They look rather pretty under the tree.
    Better for the environment too, saves on paper, sticky tape, string and all the other throwaway wastage that comes with Christmas Day in homes all over the world.  The message is save the trees, save our earth.  It's a good message.  :thumb: 

http://eartheasy.com/give_sustainchristmas.htm
    Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Fri 18 Dec 2015, 22:09

Thanks to you both, you gave me something to think about.
    I was going to add to this, but decided not to. I'll just say that money is not an issue.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Tue 22 Dec 2015, 17:58

It seems strange to me to give lists (except for children, as part of the pleasure and excitement for them is preparing a list of what they'd like to receive).

Surely the magic and worth is in the thought, time and effort you put into choosing the gift you offer, wrapped in love and friendship more than paper and ribbon, and reflecting much more than the present itself.

Curious, if as Kitkat suggests your friend is having a hard time financially at the moment, then it's possible she was counting on your gifts to offer to other friends, which explains her giving them early in the hope you would do the same. I've known people who have done this in the past so that they can keep up the exchange of gifts without their friends being aware of their troubles. They may have no other choice, and it's a very delicate matter to mention.

happyheart
    Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Tue 22 Dec 2015, 22:46

As I said money is not the problem, I don't like the idea of a list either, it has been her idea, then she tells me what she spent like just today she e-mailed and told me what she bought and the price,
    I told her to come by and pick up hers. As for re-gifting I do this a lot. I sent a parcel to a relative out of Town, they phoned to thank me, I told them they should have kept it till Christmas, they didn't agree. It really should be the thought that counts when it comes to gifts. yes nod 

Well, she's come and got them, I iold her to wait till she's home to open them. I know she'll be pleased.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 13 Jan 2016, 08:23

Is there an epilogue to this, Curious?
    Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Thu 14 Jan 2016, 00:30

Stardust wrote:Is there an epilogue to this, Curious?

Not really. As usual she loved her gifts, and I have some to re-gift.
    The problem for me is that I like quality, she likes quantity. In fact she's visiting me today, she never arrives empty handed, it's always a surprise what she'll bring, hopefully it's not junk food.
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Thu 14 Jan 2016, 13:58

It seems to me that you don't know each other well at all. If you did, she would know not to bring junk food to your house as  you would already have told her instead of complaining  to us.
    Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Thu 14 Jan 2016, 20:01

Feather, We know each other very well. My husband doesn't mind eating junk food, so I've never told her not to bring it, she is good hearted and I wouldn't hurt her feelings. I'm sorry if you thought I was complaining, I must have worded it wrong.
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Thu 14 Jan 2016, 22:00

OK.

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 08:34