KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life Forum's Portal Page is: 'Superhuman: Geniuses - Real Stories'

The nightmare before Christmas

Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

The nightmare before Christmas

Post by Kitkat on 17th October 2015, 14:09

It's doing my head in .......!

Since the beginning of this month (October) the shops are displaying whole aisles dedicated to Christmas.

Selfridges set off their circus even earlier this year:

'Selfridges opens Christmas shop 143 days before the big day'
Selfridges has transformed 3,000 square feet of its fourth floor into a winter wonderland filled with festive treasures and decorations.

This was the scene - on 4th August this year! - outside Selfridges in Oxford Street:

Oxford Street peepdoor   - one of the places on my list of nightmare places to avoid at any time during the year:

The ads on TV, radio, buses and train stations are stuffing Christmas shopping in our faces and a whole spate of Christmas films are being shown on television (the sort of film normally reserved for Christmas Day broadcasting).

It's absolutely crazy!  hairpull

and this must surely be the craziest of all:  
Tesco is selling mince pies that have a best before date of the 28th October!
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Re: The nightmare before Christmas

Post by Stardust on 3rd November 2015, 15:41

Marks and Spencer sell hot cross buns all year round, but they used to be specifically for Easter.

Not much of this pre-Christmas madness here, though the smaller boxes of chocolates appeared in the local supermarket this week. Trouble is they use palm oil these days for the milk chocolate so that's out.

Not seen any decorations yet though last year they'd started going up by now. That said, I've not really been taking much notice.

Pity when they start too early because when the festive period comes round, between Christmas and New Year, we don't notice any more and it kills the atmosphere.

Mince pies with a sell-by date 28/10, I had to laugh at that one.

Be grateful for even the smallest thing, blessings come in many disguises.
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Re: The nightmare before Christmas

Post by Kitkat on 8th November 2015, 15:45

Stardust wrote:Not much of this pre-Christmas madness here, though the smaller boxes of chocolates appeared in the local supermarket this week. Trouble is they use palm oil these days for the milk chocolate so that's out.

I read this and didn't understand the 'but' - what the "trouble is" with the use of palm oil (?) ....  So, I looked it up:

and here's what I found:  

About Palm Oil - What's the issue?

http://www.orangutans.com.au/Orangutans-Survival-Information/About-Palm-Oil.aspx

Also linked to that article - the most recent news:
5 November 2015
'The fires have driven the concentration of carbon in the atmosphere to levels not seen in two million years, experts say'
Indonesian fires: forget the orangutans, is this the tipping point for climate change?

Panorama also did a programme some time back on this issue, and came up with some very helpful guidelines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_8517000/8517093.stm

In researching Dying for a Biscuit, Panorama asked the makers of the top selling products containing palm oil and the major supermarket chains about their palm oil use. We also requested information on how they sourced their palm oil and whether or not they participate in the GreenPalm trading scheme, aimed at encouraging growers to produce more sustainable oil.

Thanks, Stardust.  I wasn't really aware of all that is involved concerning palm oil!

Current date/time is 22nd October 2018, 17:04