KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

The Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life forum is: 'HUMAN'
I hope everyone is safe from the rages of Ophelia. Not forgetting the poor frightened animals too. xx
Hearing all the stories here. 3 people have died so far in Ireland with trees hitting cars. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would venture out in a car in a hurricane!!!
A really strange golden hue in the atmosphere here in London. And a weird but slightly familiar smell in the air - reminds me of just before a sandstorm in Libya.

Freeforums down UPDATE

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Karma (thanks received) : 22
Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

SOLVED Freeforums down UPDATE

Post by Kitkat on Tue 13 Oct 2015, 13:00

All the FreeForums-hosted sites are still down - since yesterday (including the Support Forum).

'Light After Life' is a FreeForum-hosted site.  Although it was somewhat slow yesterday, it was at least visible and accessible yesterday.  However, today it's just showing a blank page, same as all the other FreeForum sites.

The 'Is It Down Right Now' site  http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/freeforums.org.html  is saying that FreeForums are back up now, but they are NOT. 

They have recently added this message to their notice about FreeForums:

Possible Service Disruption : Our test passed without any errors however 3 users have reported problems in the last few hours. Please check comments section for details.

In fact, there have been more than 3 comments made in the last few hours.  Check out the link for details.

Keep an eye on the Shoutbox for progress details on this problem.

update   As I write this, they are now reporting that as of right now ALL the FreeForums are indeed DOWN.
The latest message now says:
Freeforums.org is DOWN for everyone.
It is not just you. The server is not responding...
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

SOLVED Re: Freeforums down UPDATE

Post by Kitkat on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 16:19

FreeForums have posted this message on Facebook:

Hello everyone,
Our network was taken down for an unscheduled maintenance last night. Some repairs are still being done at this hour. The forums should be up, although you may experience severe slowness, and possibly intermittent interruptions as well as server lags. As soon as all repairs are done, the pageloads will speed right up. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this is causing to the communities.
For any questions or most recent updates, please feel free to contact us at the help desk via this link:
http://help.freeforums.org/support/tickets/new
Thanks

and this is just a small sample of some recent comments made after that message:

1 Reply
Ingrid Antonsson
Ingrid Antonsson It's still down.
2 hrs
Alan Percival
Alan Percival Was up (and slow), now down again. Updates appreciated!
2 hrs
Vanessa Leete
Vanessa Leete Hello Vanessa, All servers on our network are undergoing unscheduled maintenance. Some of them are back up but repair scripts are running on others which will create a lag until they all catch up. We apologize for the inconvenience. I do not have an estimate of the time frame before they are all back online.
1 hr
Andrew Brownlee
Andrew Brownlee Wow. Forty-eight hours late, and still factually incorrect. My forum was up - grindingly slow - for a short time about thirteen hours ago. Apart from that, two days of utter jack.
3 · 1 hr
Destry Rivers
Destry Rivers My Site is up and down, and when it's up it is extremely slow. Yesterday all i got was an error page. So i use this site to show me when i want to know if a site is up or down. http://www.websitedown.info/
1 · 1 hr

That above quoted website is a handy fast checker to find out the present situation of any forum.
I used that link to check the progress for the Light After Life forum.

http://www.websitedown.info/lightafterlife.freeforums.org

It gave me the following info:

lightafterlife.freeforums.org is down

Last updated @ 10/14/2015 08:06:23

Test finished in 13.506 seconds.
RESULTS SUMMARY FOR LIGHTAFTERLIFE.FREEFORUMS.ORG:

Unfortunately we did not receive a 200 OK HTTP status code as a response. This means that the website is currently unavailable and down for everybody (not just you) or you have entered an invalid domain name for this query. Possibly the lightafterlife.freeforums.org web server is down, overloaded, unreachable (network problem), or a website or server maintenance is in progress right now. This could also indicate a DNS lookup problem as well (incorrect settings and configuration of the DNS servers) or other hosting related issues.

Bookmark this query to check site's status later!
MOST SEARCHED TODAY

grindr, warez bb, cgpersia, cgpersia forum, downturk
FREEFORUMS.ORG WEBSITE IS NOT WORKING ?

Having problem loading lightafterlife.freeforums.org? If you noticed lightafterlife not working or received a cannot connect to lightafterlife error message, then you came to the right place. This page is trying to establish a connection with the freeforums.org domain name's web server to perform a network independent lightafterlife down or not test. If the site is up, try the troubleshooting tips below, but if the site is down, there is not much you can do. Read more: what we do and how do we do it.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 23:55

Light After Life forum is now back up - but many other FreeForums are still experiencing problems.
Whiskers
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Female

Karma (thanks received) : 3

Post by Whiskers on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 13:28

Just been over to lightafterlife forum.  It is very slow loading which is a bit frustrating but a bit of patience gets you there in the end.
Thanks so much for keeping us updated kk.  tacat
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 14:26

Whiskers wrote:Just been over to lightafterlife forum.  It is very slow loading which is a bit frustrating but a bit of patience gets you there in the end.
Thanks so much for keeping us updated kk.  tacat

Thanks, Whiskers.

I have just posted this message on LAL: 

Yes, it does seem I may have jumped the gun a bit.  This forum was absolutely fine yesterday.  Today I found it painfully slow waiting to get in - but once in here everything is working well.    Seems other forums are reporting exactly the same thing.   At least it is accessible (at the moment).  A lot of other FreeForum sites are just showing blank pages when you try to call them up.

The technicians have apparently been working round the clock on this huge universal problem and as their own Support Forum was down itself in the midst of all this (back up now, but who knows for how long  ) - they have now set up a temporary place on a totally different server so that people can see what's going on in the interim.

Here is the link to that temporary notification site:

http://samporpass.com/index.php?topic=315.0

Reading in there, you can see that many other forums are still experiencing problems just as we are here.

We can only be patient that it gets resolved soon.   timeglass
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 17:19

Seems to me the initial slowness goes away the more you post and the longer you stay logged in to the Forum.

A tip  (for FreeForums users) :   Might be a good idea (for Members and Guests alike) to delete all the board's cookies.  When not logged in to the Forum you will find the link down towards the bottom of the board, next to the 'Contact' link.  It says 'Delete all the board's cookies' (or something like that).  Click that and a box will come up saying are you sure you want to delete all this board's cookies?  Click 'Yes'.
This action won't perform any instant miracles - but when there have been major problems such as this affecting all the forums and servers, it just ensures that you clear recent problems that might be cached and therefore repeatable.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 22:13

update   :thumb:   ALL FREEFORUMS ARE NOW BACK UP AND WORKING AS NORMAL.   Very Happy  
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 17:00

All the FreeForums sites are now back up and working - except for the notification emails:
Mass administrative emails are currently out of action on FreeForums-hosted sites - and members (who have requested this in their Profiles) are not getting notified by email when a new post or reply is made on any of the FreeForum sites. The technical team is currently working on this and hope to have it sorted soon.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 09:01

This explanatory message was posted yesterday from FreeForums Support Team:

(This morning, however - all the forums seem to be down again) !

Hello everyone,

In here we'll give you updates on everything that were issues the last few days.

An overloaded Power Distribution Unit (PDU) resulted in a power interruption during a routine maintenance. The databases going offline caused data corruption. While most servers were brought back up very quickly, the ongoing repairs are/were responsible for issues such as server lags and slowness.

White Pages
       This was due to unscheduled power interruption and database repairs.
       If you're still having problems, please make a post in the General Support forum.

Slow loading forums
       Once again due to unscheduled database maintenance.
       If you're still having problems, please make a post in the General Support forum.

E-mail not being sent
       Caused by the database repairs, unfortunately no e-mails were sent. So make sure to check for Inactive Users in your Administration Control Panel (ACP)!

Posts not showing up
       Due to the database repairs scripts (the scripts fixing everything) there are several server lags, this might result in post not showing up.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:12

All the forums are back up again - as at 11:11 this morning.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 12:21

angry   I'm getting pretty fed up now, changing the description of this thread from update to to and back again to update.

Yes, FFS are all down again since this morning.  pale  (This includes Light After Life and Skeps forums - along with thousands of others across the net)  annoyed 

Support Forum is not down - this time ... yet!
Whiskers
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Female

Post by Whiskers on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 14:55

Kitkat wrote:angry   I'm getting pretty fed up now, changing the description of this thread from update to to and back again to update.

Its been 11 days now.  This should be called the Freeforums downupdownupdownUPDATE. wary  giggle
bimbow
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Male

Post by bimbow on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 15:07

Quote from the FFs FB page......."I want my data!!!!! Enough is enough. Stop holding our forums for ransom while you sort out your broken business. Sell (or give) us the content/data of our forums so we can re-host somewhere more stable."

No chance.

Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 16:02

bimbow wrote:Quote from the FFs FB page......."I want my data!!!!! Enough is enough. Stop holding our forums for ransom while you sort out your broken business. Sell (or give) us the content/data of our forums so we can re-host somewhere more stable."

No chance.

When this similar universal problem was experienced with FreeForums a few years ago, there were many angry complaints and requests similar to that one; lots of forum admins wanting to change to another host and requesting their forum data so they could do so. Turned out to be an extremely difficult task - as FFs were very reluctant to release the database to the forum owners - unless you were willing to pay an extortionate amount of money for the privilege and then follow a rigorous, time-consuming course of action, made deliberately complicated by FFs to put people off even trying.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 17:05

As at 5:00pm this evening (22nd October), all the Freeforums are back up - and apparently working again.
Whiskers
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Female

Post by Whiskers on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:59

Light after Life is down. No
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:23

Whiskers wrote:Light after Life is down.    No

head-bang head-bang head-bang head-bang

Yes, they all went down for about half an hour with 'General Errors' - BUT ..... surprise! surprise! (NOT!) - monster they're all magically back up again now. I see bimbow has posted in the Shoutbox - "... but for how long?"

It's like one great big giant yoyo nightmare. Crying or Very sad
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 11:39

** ALL FORUMS DOWN AGAIN TODAY (23rd October) **

And the Support Forum (although working and usable today) is showing some kind of debug script across the top of its pages.

Best to stick to this temporary link for progress reports:
http://samporpass.com/index.php?topic=315.180
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 13:30

ALL FORUMS BACK UP AGAIN AS OF 1:00pm today.

peepdoor   So far, still working ............................
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

SOLVED The latest on this saga

Post by Kitkat on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 21:44

Well, it seems while I was out today there has been another all-forums outage across the boards of FFS! Messages in the Shoutbox, which were posted from 6:48 confirms when this happened.

I found this message posted by the person who set up the excellent temporary help forum while the support forum was down in the midst of all the problems last week. (This message is in reply to the multitude of angry admins demanding to be given some sort of explanation as to how and why such disorder came about in the last couple of weeks):

chrisw has posted:

Hi everyone,

I am really sorry for the late reaction. I was at dinner and just signed on to find a good number of reports. Trust me if I tell you that I'm just as annoyed by the outages as all of you are.

Now, what's happening and why do we keep going down... you deserve an explanation.

As you know, we had a total outage of all our networks a couple weeks ago. This, in fact, caused a lot of damage. The outage was caused by a PDU overload during a routine maintenance. It was a PDU the board servers were connected to, so the outage caused data corruption. The following week was a bit of misery, because scripts were running on all servers, causing constant lags and white pages. These were in fact not caused by any issues, they were caused by the repair scripts running, which is taxing on the servers.

We had a second PDU overload earlier this week, this was a different one and thankfully, did not affect the actual board servers. In spite of an outage that lasted several hours, no repair scripts had to be run but the outage was frustrating to many, nonetheless.

On top of it all, we also experienced repeated issues with one of the cache servers, including the issue that caused the downtime this evening.

What to expect for the future:

Work is being done in the background to avoid situations such as this one. This work includes, but is not limited to, moving boards between servers to balance the loads. Last week, many boards were moved off C14. In the coming week, boards will be moved off C4. Once the servers are more balanced and the cache servers have had some maintenance, we will be in better shape.

I understand that there is worry, and I know that the boards mean a lot to you all. I also know that we've gone through quite a stretch of bad server performance here, and that some things still need to be done before we're completely out of the woods. Please rest assured that out first concern is to make the network stable again so that we can put these outages behind us.

I am truly sorry for these outages. Please hang in there.

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 21:33

alien   Apparently it's still not ended ...  I'm just SO FED UP with the whole **@$###*   GRRRRRRRR! angry 

These posts made on Light After Life forum today are self-explanatory:

Candlelight wrote
Misty wrote:sad Still not right KK.  I am not receiving any notification emails about new posts made here.  Up until a few days ago I did but now there is nothing. 
Didn't notice this until I had a look in the forum yesterday and saw there were some new posts which I not been notified of. I have checked my profile and yes I have asked for notifications by email.  If I didn't check in here I wouldn't know about the new posts.

Well, I received notification about this post!  I was going to reply to you, suggesting that it might be your computer causing the problem - but had a check in with Support first.  There I find that others are reporting the same problem as you,  head-bang  but it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

Here are the two most recent posts made on the subject - posted today.  Looks as though it's all dependant on what email provider you use. 
What a flamin' circus!  Will it ever end? 

Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification
Hi, still have same issues with emails, only myself and anyone on gmail are receiving emails despite me doing everything you asked me to above. I have pm's in my out box as they don't know they have one until they visit the forum. I am losing people with this, please try and help with this issue, it was all fine before the crash everyone got email notifications whichever email server they were on.
Post Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification
Back again!! lots of members reporting they still haven't received email notification, some saying they never lost it !! and the ones who are getting emails from my gmail get a warning that it may not be from me, now they are worried to do anything.

At least you know it's not just you.  I know that's no consolation - and I'm not even going to say have patience .....  because I am fast running out of patience myself with FreeForums. annoyed   thumbdown   I know of some forum admins who have had enough of the whole shebang - some considering closing down altogether, or at least moving to different, more reliable hosts.

If/when you do start to get email notifications again, Misty - please let us know here.
(Also - if this is affecting anyone else reading this, do please come and report it here.)
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 13:52

At least we know the reason now (for the recent problem on FreeForums sites - Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification )

Since the recent outages disruption across the [FreeForum] boards, it seems that some email providers are now a bit wary and some of them (but not all) may have put a 'possible spam' block on the FreeForums links, as a security measure.  Nice to know that those [email] providers are doing their job with regard to security and protection - but it seems FreeForums now have to prove to them that all the recent problems have been fixed and they can be regarded as safe - which they are now, but they've obviously got to make a huge effort now to get back to how they were before. 

This explanation (on behalf of FreeForums) has been given on the Support forum, in reply to the recent complaints about emails (or current lack of):

The problem is that we're considered spammers (in a way), and we are in the process of re-establishing us as the honest people that we are
Unfortunately, this doesn't happen overnight, but it is being worked on.

Yep ...  and when they've done that they will need to contend with quite a lot of disgrunted forum owners who have lost members since the disruptions started.  I think it's going to take a lot of 'working on' by FFS to regain the trust of many of their forum admins - and members, forum users and guests also, some of whom rely on the forums as an essential lifeline.
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Karma (thanks received) : 12

Post by Stardust on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 15:21

I wanted to get into LAL earlier and there was no connection. Just now I got the page and logged-in but immediately after it cut off with this message:

General Error
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/xmasrouge/template/portal/block/custom.html does not exist or is empty
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: light_afterlife@yahoo.co.uk

So I suppose that means that for the forum LAL I'm still logged-in as I've not been able to get the page back and log out.

angry angry angry angry

All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 15:30

Thought I'd give it another try and I got the lovely Christmas frame for LAL, very pretty red page. However, in view of earlier difficulties I didn't want to hang around so I logged out and came back here instead.

I'm very fond of LAL so I hope it stays and that Freeforums will deal with all these problems they've been having.

Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 15:55

Stardust wrote:I wanted to get into LAL earlier and there was no connection. Just now I got the page and logged-in but immediately after it cut off with this message:

General Error
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/xmasrouge/template/portal/block/custom.html does not exist or is empty
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: light_afterlife@yahoo.co.uk

So I suppose that means that for the forum LAL I'm still logged-in as I've not been able to get the page back and log out.

angry angry angry angry

Hi Stardust,

I've just checked and it's all fine for me.  I'm in there now.  I don't see any similar reports in the Support Forum at the moment. 
FreeForums are still working on the problem where some people are not getting notification emails.  It's possible that while they are working on it, this might cause intermittent lags - and you might just have picked a moment to go in when this was occurring.   It's also possible that you may have logged in through a cached page (i.e. which was saved at a time in the recent past - when the problems were occuring across the boards). 

I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, to click on the link down bottom right of the forum which says 'Delete all Board Cookies'.  (This will get rid of any cached pages and refresh to the present time).  A notice will come up saying 'Are you sure you want to delete all this board's cookies?" - with a YES or NO box.
Click YES.

Even though you may currently be still showing as logged in, the session will automatically clear anyway after a certain time (not sure how long that is, it may be 60 minutes) and you will automatically get logged out of the forum.

update  - Before I pressed 'SEND' here I saw that you had posted another message here.  You got the Christmas style!   surprised   That explains it (kind of) ....  I was in the forum earlier today arranging some different style choices for members to use.  To do that, I had to activate some alternative styles - and deactive the rest.  I noticed that the Christmas one wasn't allowing the Portal to be shown, so I deactivated it!!!!  I don't understand how it is showing for you now!
There should only be a choice of 3 styles that members can use on the forum - for when they are logged in (by going into Board Preferences in their user control panel):

3myl_promenu  (which is the default style and you will always see that once you logged out)

Prosilver

RoyalBLUE

Stardust,  I would suggest you definitely Delete all the Board Cookies (as explained above)- then leave it for a while (at least an hour) before attempting to log in again.  When you do get in, if you are still getting the Christmas style - please let me know!
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 08:50

Hi Kitkat.

I deleted the board cookies.

Before I log-in the LAL forum appears with the blue option I chose previously (Christmas red page appears after log-in).

I tried again this morning and logged-in ok but when the Christmas page appeared it jumped back each time to the same error page I got yesterday.

In the end I deleted my original LAL bookmark and then started all over again after which I got in with no problems and posted ok, and on the pretty Christmas-look LAL.

It's a mystery to me why this happened since the original bookmark should have worked as usual. Anyway, if it occurs again I'll let you know.
Thanks, Kitkat.   tacat

Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Wed 04 Nov 2015, 14:24

Stardust wrote:Hi Kitkat.

I deleted the board cookies.

Before I log-in the LAL forum appears with the blue option I chose previously (Christmas red page appears after log-in).

I tried again this morning and logged-in ok but when the Christmas page appeared it jumped back each time to the same error page I got yesterday.

In the end I deleted my original LAL bookmark and then started all over again after which I got in with no problems and posted ok, and on the pretty Christmas-look LAL.

It's a mystery to me why this happened since the original bookmark should have worked as usual. Anyway, if it occurs again I'll let you know.
Thanks, Kitkat.   tacat

I'm glad you are now back in and it's working OK for you - but I can't understand how and why the Christmas style board suddenly appeared for you and is STILL THERE when I have deactivated it!! 

Somehow, Stardust, you appear to have entered through some ghostly portal into a time and place that no longer exists!  Soooooo spooooooooooooooky!  wary

PS:  If you click into the 'LIGHT AFTER LIFE' link down the bottom of THIS forum (in the red toolbar, just after 'BLOGS') it wiill take you straight to the Portal of LAL.  That link will always be the most current and up-to-date.
It is possible that some of the bookmarks on your computer, or even links that you get through google searching, might be cached links from times gone by, and some of them could be now out of date.
It's always a good idea to delete cookies and clear the caches on your computer regularly - perhaps once a month.  I run something called 'CCleaner' (the free version) on my computer every evening before turning the comp off.  Keeps everything running smoothly.  (Just takes a minute or so to run it).

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 08:53

Kitkat wrote:I can't understand how and why the Christmas style board suddenly appeared for you and is STILL THERE when I have deactivated it!!  Somehow, Stardust, you appear to have entered through some ghostly portal into a time and place that no longer exists!  Soooooo spooooooooooooooky!

It is possible that some of the bookmarks on your computer, or even links that you get through google searching, might be cached links from times gone by, and some of them could be now out of date.

It's always a good idea to delete cookies and clear the caches on your computer regularly - perhaps once a month.

The LAL Christmas page isn't completely deactivated as I just got it again before coming here. giggle
How about somebody else giving it a try?

All bookmarks on this computer are no more than a few months old, but I renewed the LAL bookmark yesterday just in case that was the problem with staying logged-in. confused.

I regularly delete cookies etc. already. It's good advice for everyone, thanks Kitkat. I love you

Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 13:17

Stardust wrote:The LAL Christmas page isn't completely deactivated as I just got it again before coming here. giggle
How about somebody else giving it a try?

OK - the Christmas style has now been uninstalled, rather than merely deactivated.
There should 3 styles to choose from in members' User Control Panel (on LAL).  
They are:

• 3myl_promenu  
  • prosilver
  • royalBLUE

3myl_promenu is the default - and this is the one that should [hopefully?] be showing for you now, Stardust.
You can choose to change it to one of the other 2 styles - through 'Board Preferences' in your User Control Panel.
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 08:48

I already replied to this on LAL.

Pity if we can't have a festive home page for the forums. The cats will not be happy.

There's not even a single festive smiley in the choice here.

shrug Unless you count the cuddly cat. catlick

----                   

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 17:22