KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Streetlife

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Streetlife Empty Streetlife

Post by Kitkat Fri 04 Sep 2015, 13:01

Streetlife Www-link   https://www.streetlife.com/

The online equivalent of your local newspaper.  (When you join, you just fill in the details of the areas that you are interested in and set your own preferences in your profile for notifications, news, events, etc.)

I just got this lovely bookcase through this site by replying to an offer there (by PM - just like we have here).  The person giving it away lived just 5 minutes away from me.  I'm absolutely delighted with it - just what I need!   Very Happy

The wording of the offer said:

The bookcase isn't exactly a piece of high quality furniture, but it's surprisingly strong - I have two others that are currently holding about a hundred books between them - and it's light enough to carry with one hand. The shelves fold up and then the sides fold in so that it's about 2 inches thick folded.

The pics clinched it!

Streetlife 67550e29257ee0f1c10d6fcfcdfb5e65bf9973cd_184   Streetlife 22c9fe3145ccf7824d3a4e1d26ed0c90f9fb28f1_184
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Streetlife Empty Re: Streetlife

Post by Kitkat Mon 04 Jan 2016, 12:05

I'm not sure how old these news clips are, but Streetlife has definitely taken off and enjoyed quite far and wide now.
    I enjoy it as a kind of online local newspaper in my area, covering all sorts.  Made some new friends through it also - through a meet-up group which was started, where a few of us meet up every now and then at different venues/restaurants etc around the area.  It's a great way to discover new restaurants and places of interest around your neighbourhood - and lots of other things that it covers also - like finding a reliable plumber/window-cleaner/handyman/cat-sitter/dog-walker in the vicinity, sharing/swapping gardening work/shopping, where to get help/complain with municipal issues .... the list is endless.  I think it's a great idea.

[I have deleted from this post the ugly-looking empty boxes that once contained the video news coverage of 'Streetlife', as they are no longer available].

update
    And edited to add here (as posted at the end of this thread) it has been announced that 'Streetlife' has now amalgamated with the similar American 'Nextdoor'. All Streetlife members' accounts will be automatically included in the Nextdoor site over a period of the next week or so. Members are told they don't need to do anything for this to happen - except that they need to change their passwords. However, when I went into the form to change my p/w I was informed that it is compulsory that everyone uses their real name, rather than a username. If you don't put your real name in there it will not let you in. Well - forget that! stickit I certainly do not want all my personal details broadcast and available to all and sundry, not only all the way through my neighbourhood, but all across America also! That's just asking for trouble (potential burglars, identity fraud and no end of other unsafe situations!)
    Needless to say, I will be removing my account with Streetlife forthwith. I'll just stick with the online version of the local newspaper from now on.
    Curious
    Curious

Post by Curious Wed 06 Jan 2016, 03:35

It sounds wonderful, All communities should have it,

I love the bookcase.......Smile
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 06 Jan 2016, 11:53

Looked it up and I have joined.  A1  

This is an example for my area today  https://www.streetlife.com/area/monton-greater-manchester/
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Streetlife Empty Streetlife merging with Nextdoor

Post by Kitkat Wed 08 Feb 2017, 14:33

update
    'Streetlife' has now amalgamated with the similar American 'Nextdoor'.  All Streetlife members' accounts will be automatically included in the Nextdoor site over a period of the next week or so.  Members are told they don't need to do anything for this to happen - except that they need to change their passwords.  However, when I went into the form to change my p/w I was informed that it is compulsory that everyone uses their real name now, rather than a username.  If you don't put your real name in there it will not let you in.  Well - forget that!   stickit  I certainly do not want all my personal details broadcast and available to all and sundry, not only all the way through my neighbourhood, but all across America also!  That's just asking for trouble (potential burglars, identity fraud and no end of other unsafe situations!) no-no
    Needless to say, I will be removing my account with Streetlife forthwith.  I'll just stick with the online version of the local newspaper from now on.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 08 Feb 2017, 20:31

Kitkat wrote:
    update
    ...I was informed that it is compulsory that everyone uses their real name, rather than a username.  If you don't put your real name in there it will not let you in.  Well - forget that! I certainly do not want all my personal details broadcast and available to all and sundry, not only all the way through my neighbourhood, but all across America also!  That's just asking for trouble (potential burglars, identity fraud and no end of other unsafe situations!)
    Needless to say, I will be removing my account with Streetlife forthwith.  I'll just stick with the online version of the local newspaper from now on.

That's such a pity and I wonder why they joined the UK Streetlife with American Nextdoor since I thought the whole point was that it was a local neighbourhood service.
    shrug Shocked

Shame because you and others who don't want to publicize personal details will be deprived of what was a good idea and a very useful service.
    You must be really disappointed and annoyed about this, Kitkat. angry
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 08 Feb 2017, 21:49

Seems I'm not the only one who feels that way - according to this:  Beyond Streetlife.

Won't be so bad if we will still be able to read in the site without having to be a member.  Would just mean then that you wouldn't get the regular notifications that you initially set up of the areas that you are specifically interested in. 
    It's not very clear though, looking at this: https://help.nextdoor.com/customer/en_gb/portal/articles/2714218 whether that'll be the case or not.  I have a feeling that it will be only accessible to those who are logged in - bit like our Members Only section here on the forum.

I don't know how big it is in America, but I think they may lose a lot of the original UK Streetlife members.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 18:08