KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

The Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life forum is: 'BEYOND THOUGHT: AWARENESS ITSELF'

How to copy a thread link and view new posts on the Forum

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 13:21

@Jamboree wrote:To get the url, by the way, all you need to do is highlight the link in your search window (usually at the top of your screen), right click and copy and paste.

There are also other ways to get the link to a forum thread.  (Depending on your computer and browser settings, not everyone will be able to do it Jamboree's way).
Most forums have their own settings where you can do certain things independent of the rest of the world (so to speak).  
Say you wanted to get the link to this particular thread that we're in now (for instance) ...
If you look up the top right-hand corner of the thread, you should see 2 options (in red) -
Share with a little downward arrow to the right of it, and
Actions   "      "      "      "

Click into the Actions one and you find a drop-down menu with the following options:

View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts
Topic(s) being watched

Stop watching this topic
Add to your favourites
Copy BBCode URL
Print this page

Just click into 'Copy BBCode URL' and you've got your link to the topic you happen to be in at the time.
(You will not see those options unless you're actually inside a thread - like now, which you must be if you're reading this)

The Share option does different things - like add to your Favourites, print, etc etc .... Click into it and see for yourself.

Then, if you're not in a thread you get a different one - Forum Options (I think it is).  From there you can set whether or not you want to follow a certain topic (and get notifications fresh replies made etc).

I don't know about the forum in question, but for sure they will have their own different actions and settings - which you just need to look out for.

This forum does a whole load of stuff, which you can probably only find out about by doing your own experimenting.
Whiskers
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Female

Re: How to copy a thread link and view new posts on the Forum

Post by Whiskers on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 17:44

I agree using Actions is handy for some options, but if you view posts since last visit through Actions it only shows new posts made in that topic since your last visit.  It doesnt show any new posts made in other topics on the forum.
If you click into the blue link higher up near the top of the page, the one that says View posts since last visit, then you get a list of all new posts made in all the other topics since your last visit.  That's what I use, and you dont have to be loggedin to the forum to get that.  Handy for me because I normally take a look there just before I leave work when I dont have the time to log in which I would have when at home.
Although it doesnt show new posts in the bar because you have to be loggedin anyway for them to show up.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Post by Kitkat on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 19:17

@Whiskers wrote:If you click into the blue link higher up near the top of the page, the one that says View posts since last visit, then you get a list of all new posts made in all the other topics since your last visit.  That's what I use, and you dont have to be loggedin to the forum to get that.

Whiskers, that option only shows up when you are logged in.  
I think you might be thinking of the link (in red) down the bottom of the Forum which says:
'Today's active topics'

This one works whether you are logged in or not.  Press it and it shows all topics made that day (if any) - and there is the added option (if you click on the little arrow next to it) to see all the active topics made during that week, or 2 weeks, or 6 months - right up to the past year, depending on your choice.

That link works constantly whether logged in or not - except for topics made in The Bar (which of course only show up once you are logged in).

As this query has been made in a topic in The Bar, I am going to copy the relevant posts into the Information & Help Desk, as it might be helpful to other members and guests of the Forum.

ETA:  OK, it won't let me copy them, so I will instead split these last few posts from this topic (as they are off-topic to the thread anyway) and put them in their own new thread in the Information & Help Desk.

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 13:57