KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Multiple forum personality disorder

Anonymous

Multiple forum personality disorder Empty Multiple forum personality disorder

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 17:26

Just to let those with over-active imaginations and a tendency toward conspiracy theory thinking that I am not suffering from this disorder. Multiple forum personality disorder 631737971

I'm not Fells and I'm not Duck nor any other member on the SL forum.

I don't know who they are and they are not ex-UKS members who've been drafted in by me for some 'mission'.

I'm not running several sock-puppet accounts from proxy servers nor am I talking to myself from different accounts as a cunning plan to bamboozle the inmates members.

I have left the forum. I won't be rejoining the forum.

Sorry to spoil the fun and all that..... tongue
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Multiple forum personality disorder Empty Re: Multiple forum personality disorder

Post by Kitkat Mon 09 May 2011, 19:04

giggle giggle giggle

You're obviously still reading in there though. :thumb:

Can I quote you over there, John ... (by proxy, like) just to put a sock in all the CTs? catlick
    Pixie
    Pixie

Multiple forum personality disorder Empty Re: Multiple forum personality disorder

Post by Pixie Mon 09 May 2011, 20:19

Kit-Kat wrote: Multiple forum personality disorder 40742102 Multiple forum personality disorder 40742102 Multiple forum personality disorder 40742102

You're obviously still reading in there though. Multiple forum personality disorder 631737971

Busted! lol!

Just because you say you aint Duck and Fells, doesn't mean you aint!

Multiple forum personality disorder 2

I had a conversation once (on tinternet) with a woman and her American husband at the same time....turned out to be the same person!

The "hubby" existed only in her imagination! Multiple forum personality disorder 3929217648

And you think I'm a loon! Multiple forum personality disorder 4274503960
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Mon 09 May 2011, 21:45

I knew they weren't you, John. It's nice and peaceful over here, isn't it? Let's keep it that way. flower
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 19:44

Oh yes, I still have a read. Multiple forum personality disorder 631737971

There was promise of a good argument over religion but it's fizzled out. Sad

War, conflict, etc., is really caused by our propensity for group identity. I happen to think that 'groupthink' is probably the worst human trait that there is. We seem to have an in-built need to identify ourselves as belonging to a group and once we have done so we display in-group cohesion and out-group hostility. i.e. we're very adept at creating 'them vs us' situations, and they can be based on the most trivial of things.

Religion, of course, is an extremely divisive thing - it creates a perfect scenario for 'them and us' thinking. And when God is on your side (they always worship false gods), no matter what you do, you must be right!

So how do you resolve a dispute over land when both sides' deity has promised each of them the same land? They both believe they have divine right over the territory.

So for me, the fundamental problem with so many conflicts (be it war, religion, race, etc.) is our propensity for group identities and dynamics. It's the basis for lots of social ills (discrimination, etc.) as well as extremism such as religious fanaticism.
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Tue 10 May 2011, 21:46

I couldn't agree more. I try to think globally not nationally. National pride can be very nasty. Group thinking is definitely divisive. It's what takes the fun out of sport and replaces it with bitter rivalry. It reminds me of,say, a timid boy in the school playground who finally is accepted into the gang. With their support and backup, he soon becomes like them. I think the same applies to the violent elements in public demonstrations. Singly they could be ok but in the mob, they get the guts to smash windows, set cars on fire etc.

I think there's little hope for the world if we don't all start regarding ourselves as just human beings and not members of groups. I feel this strongly and have done for a long time.
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Wed 11 May 2011, 07:06

Feather wrote:
    I think there's little hope for the world if we don't all start regarding ourselves as just human beings and not members of groups. I feel this strongly and have done for a long time.

Then the world is surely doomed isn't it because this need to belong to groups is in our hardwiring as humans.
    krisisle

Post by krisisle Wed 11 May 2011, 07:44

I think a lot of war and violence are down to greed.
    Groups can and do live fine if people release their need for 'stuff' and instead care about the well being of each other. As Pixie has said, humans are naturally wired to live in groups to survive.

It is the attitude of 'he has more than me' that causes problems.
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Wed 11 May 2011, 09:23

Well, we'll just have to pin our hopes on evolution. Hands up if you think we can't evolve any further. I suppose I was similarly hard wired but I dislike the group mentality immensely--me and thousands of others.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed 11 May 2011, 11:32

Group or tribal mentality is certainly 'hard wired' into us and is the natural or default position we adopt (see: Tajfel and the 'minimal group experiments'). It obviously worked and was selected for in our evolutionary past - a legacy we've inherited. I would say it would take a long time for evolution to weed it out even in our plentiful modern world where we're not living on the edge of survival (well not in the west anyway).

However, as with most biases we have, this tendency can be overcome through rational thought. i.e. our higher-level thinking and understanding of how we operate as humans should be able to overcome our base instincts.

Even so, it is still very difficult to achieve. Ethnic minority cultures can exist within our society by integrating them and allowing them to be involved (see: the contact hypothesis) but even after years of peaceful co-existence, all it takes is for one instance of an apparently racially motivated event (or similar) and the two groups immediately polarise again. Base instincts being our default mode....

And as for patriotism - to me it's just another way that group mentality is encouraged so people can be coerced into doing things they might not rationally have done. I agree with this bloke: http://www.ukskeptics.com/forum/entry.php/13-Some-thoughts-on-patriotism
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Wed 11 May 2011, 21:11

I can't seem to find the "Thoughts on Patriotism" on UKS.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 11 May 2011, 21:21

Feather wrote:I can't seem to find the "Thoughts on Patriotism" on UKS.

That link takes you straight into it, Feather. At least, it should do. I have no problem with it.
    (I have read that article before ... and I'm staying well out of this particular discussion. (My "thoughts on patriotism" have got me into big trouble in the past ... wary )
    In some departments, I'm mellowing with age. shtum
    Pixie
    Pixie

Post by Pixie Thu 12 May 2011, 08:42

England the country is land and water. Some parts of it are beautiful and some are not. Some people live in poor areas and still have pride in where they live, keeping their little part of the world clean and tidy and others who live in areas of beauty just can't be arsed. It's the people what make any place. I can't say that I am proud to live in a country which has a record of football violence (dating back to the 1880s). English crime stats from just under 2 years ago.

. Stats from 2009

. 1 in 3 teens carry knives
    . Homophobic bullying is on the rise
    . There is one theft per minute
    . 20,000 teenagers tagged
    . 1,000 children sexually exploited
    . One child is killed as a result of abuse every week
    . 30'000 criminals are members of organised criminal gangs
    . 3'700 people were caught carrying knives
    . 1 in 5 people think that domestic violence is justified!!!!!!

(I would love to meet these people and see just how the hell they think that it is ok to kick the shit out of your wife/husband/partner) :twisted:

This is happening in the country in which I live.

There is an opposite to all this hate, crime and violence and it is what stops me from giving up on human beings. It's the people who go out of their way to help others, those who give instead of take, It's the "spirit" of many people, the same spirit which saw us through WW2, those who will go that extra mile in order to help someone else whether it's the little boy drawing pictures to raise money to help his sick brother to get better or the man who used to stand in a shopping center every single day with a tin to raise money for Breast Cancer Research because he had lost his wife to the cancer. I do have pride in these people.

I have waved my flag out of the window during football (because we tend to suck at any sport which doesn't involve sitting down on something so I get excited if we do well) but after the shambles of the last world cup (performance and behaviour) I won't be bothering again. No

I feel proud of some English people and ashamed of others...but it has little to do with a country and more to do with them being human beings.

Have I bullshitted enough? Sleep

Time for a brew and to rescue a grotty little toddler who has smeared his toast all over his face! cheers
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Thu 12 May 2011, 11:17

I finally found the "Some thoughts on Patriotism" section on UKS but when I click on it, I get "Invalid blog" and "Contact admin."
    John-----help. I want to read that. shrug
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2011, 12:00

Is the url misformed?

Try this: some thoughts on patriotism

The URL is embedded in the link so should work. Multiple forum personality disorder 631737971
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Thu 12 May 2011, 12:20

Got the same message. crybaby
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Multiple forum personality disorder Empty Thoughts on Patriotism

Post by Kitkat Thu 12 May 2011, 13:36

Feather wrote:Got the same message. crybaby

That's weird, Feather. Must be something to do with your browser (or maybe add-ons or something), cos I don't have any problem with that link. I'm using Chrome. I tried it with Firefox as well and still OK for me.

Anyway, I've c&p'd the article (together with the comments) into the Spoiler here, so you can have a read:

Spoiler:
    Feather
    Feather

Post by Feather Thu 12 May 2011, 22:01

Thanks, kk. I've read it now. Good article but I would add another thought to it. What I don't like about patriotism is that it encourages pride to rear its ugly head. I know we have to have a certain amount of pride or society would collapse but I hate the "We're better than you" type of pride which often leads to ill-feeling and/or strife.

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 13:04