KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Storyville - Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Storyville - Exposed:  Magicians, Psychics and Frauds Empty Storyville - Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds

Post by Kitkat Sat 01 Nov 2014, 22:39

Showing on BBC Four tomorrow (2nd November 2014) at 9:00 pm

Storyville
    Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds

(1 hour, 25 minutes)

Renowned magician James 'The Amazing' Randi has been wowing audiences with his jaw-dropping illusions, escapes and sleight of hand for over 50 years. When he began seeing his cherished art form co-opted by all manner of con artists, he made it his mission to expose the simple tricks charlatans have borrowed from magicians to swindle the masses.

This entertaining film chronicles Randi's best debunkings of faith healers, fortune tellers and psychics. It documents his rivalry with famed spoon-bender Uri Geller, whom Randi eventually foiled on a high-profile television appearance. Another target was evangelist Peter Popoff, whose tent-show miracles and audience mind-reading were exposed as chicanery when Randi revealed a recording of Popoff's wife feeding him information through a radio-transmitter earpiece.

In telling Randi's strange, funny and fascinating life story, the film shows how we are all vulnerable to deception - even, in a surprising twist, 'The Amazing' Randi himself.

Clip from the movie:
    'The miraculous ministry of Televangelist Peter Popoff'

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Storyville - Exposed:  Magicians, Psychics and Frauds Empty Re: Storyville - Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds

Post by Kitkat Mon 03 Nov 2014, 10:10

For anyone that missed it, you can watch the programme again arrow HERE

Storyville - Exposed:  Magicians, Psychics and Frauds NowShowing  Available for a further
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Storyville - Exposed:  Magicians, Psychics and Frauds Empty Re: Storyville - Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds

Post by Umberto Cocopop Mon 03 Nov 2014, 13:28

It was OK. I could have done without the love story stuff...

The best work Randi did IMO was project alpha - good evidence that even highly qualified, serious scientists can easily be fooled, especially when they're investigating something they'd like to prove.

What disappointed me was that very little attention was paid to the "inconvenient truth" regarding this type of debunking skepticism. i.e. the fact that it has no effect on overall belief. It was mentioned but never expanded on.

Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:49

Very entertaining. The guy's a living legend! How old is he anyway? He must be about a 100 years old!
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 04 Nov 2014, 13:13

Jamboree wrote:Very entertaining.  The guy's a living legend!  How old is he anyway?  He must be about a 100 years old!

His birthday was 7th August 1928. That makes him 86.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 15 Nov 2014, 13:22

Some really stupid rumours going around surrounding this documentary ...

The film, originally titled "An Honest Liar" ( facepalm  ) has not yet got the necessary requisites to be shown in theatres and cinemas (still being negotiated, I believe).  The makers of the film (which I presume to be the JREF, or at least a connected party) agreed to sell it as a documentary to the Beeb, first having changed the name - because apparently they don't want to publicise the film too much before it gets into the theatres/cinemas - where of course it is hoped to make loadsa money for the Foundation, with audiences paying in to see it (there is also a donation beg that goes with it - 'Donate to the Foundation' - as has always been the case with the JREF (forum).  

Um .... if you don't quite follow, don't worry ... I'm not sure that I do myself  confused.  ... but anyway,
    here is James Randi in an interview talking about the film (from Huff Post Live) :

ETA: [Video no longer available]
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sat 15 Nov 2014, 20:27

Glad I saw it here. Because no way would i pay to see that in the cinema. no shake
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 22 Sep 2015, 16:41

The programme has been shown again recently on BBC Four.

This means that it is now available to watch on BBC iPlayer for a limited period (30 days from the date of broadcast).

Take no notice of the number of days of availability given in the original post above.  That is actually showing the amount of days that have passed where it is no longer available.  (That number is in black.  Available viewable days are shown here in red.)

As the programme has been repeated since then, you can still view it on BBC iPlayer through the link given in post No. 2 above -

but viewing is limited to    as from date of posting this (22nd September 2015).
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Tue 22 Sep 2015, 18:14

Uri Geller no longer refers to himself as a 'psychic'.  He now goes by the description of mystifier.  jocolor

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 15 Mar 2016, 21:58

Storyville (Exposed: Magicians, Psychics & Frauds)  - Documentary

Documentary chronicling magician James Randi's attempts to expose supposed faith healers, fortune-tellers and psychics who have borrowed tricks from magicians to swindle the masses. The programme examines his rivalry with spoon-bending illusionist Uri Geller, as well as how he exposed evangelist Peter Popoff's use of in-ear receivers in the 1980s

It's on again tonight on TV (BBC Four)  in about 10 minutes actually.

(I'll be watching Houdini & Doyle on the other side .... er ... the other tv channel I mean.  giggle

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 15:47