KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq?

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq? Empty Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq?

Post by Kitkat Thu 25 Sep 2014, 18:42

From the 38 Degrees site:
    (Includes a survey and petition)

By the weekend, we could be at war. In 24 hours, your MP will vote on UK air strikes in Iraq, against the group known as Islamic State. [1] MPs face a tough decision, but the views of thousands of 38 Degrees members behind them will mean they make a better decision. We have huge power to influence the vote - but we have to move very quickly.

The vote is tomorrow, so can you help decide what we should do together? Click here to decide alongside thousands of other 38 Degrees members:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/air-strike-poll

38 Degrees members care about making the world a more peaceful place. But what does that mean we should do in this particular case?

Some of us may feel that the ethnic cleansing and attacks on innocent people by IS must be stopped at all costs - that if we don’t take action now, the consequences will be huge. [2]

Other 38 Degrees members will remember the scandal of the UK's 2003 invasion of Iraq - is this history repeating itself? UK airstrikes will kill civilians as well as terrorists. [3] Should we only go ahead with United Nations approval? [4] Or is any UK military action in Iraq just plain wrong?

There are now three million 38 Degrees members - and that means we can do incredible things when we put our heads together. So, what, if anything, should we do about airstrikes against IS? Please take a few minutes to fill in this poll and help decide:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/air-strike-poll
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq? Empty Re: Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq?

Post by Umberto Cocopop Fri 26 Sep 2014, 12:56

To be honest, I haven't got a clue. It's far too complex an issue to have a simple yes/no opinion on it. I'd have to see some proper debating on it to see whether it's really worth it.

I'd probably take a utilitarian stance on it and support it if it could be demonstrated, or at least strongly argued, that such military intervention would be better for most people (not just us) in the long run than leaving it alone.

Religious fanaticism disgusts me and I'd love to see it ended, but war also disgusts me so is 'the answer' any more preferable than the problem?
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq? Empty Re: Should Britain be involved in the proposed air strikes on Iraq?

Post by Kitkat Fri 26 Sep 2014, 23:20

Well, the decision has been well and truly made now.

Mr Cameron was speaking in favour of the UK being involved in airstrikes against Islamic State in Iraq.

He emphasised that the mission will take "not just months but years" and the UK should be prepared for the commitment.

Syria is in the pipeline (literally) too.  UK of course rushes in where US fears to tread (not).

The US-led coalition has targeted 12 oil refineries in Syria during a third night of air strikes against Islamic State militants.

and here's [the real] why:
    The refineries [in Syria] generated as much as $2 million (£1.2m) per day in revenue for the militants, according to the US military.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29357616

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 17:42