KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

The Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life forum is: 'EXPLORING THE UNEXPLAINED - A JOURNEY INTO SPIRITUALISM'

Ford Open Prison has 90 inmates on the run

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Ford Open Prison has 90 inmates on the run

Post by Kitkat on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:23

I just don't see the point of these "open prisons".  shrug    Nor can I understand why there's so much surprise when so many 'inmates' decide to go "on the run" from there.  I actually sympathise with them!

Ninety prisoners are on the run from Ford Open Prison in West Sussex, the BBC has learned.

Ford and other open prisons have seen a series of high-profile disappearances in recent weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27828845
Whiskers
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Female

Re: Ford Open Prison has 90 inmates on the run

Post by Whiskers on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 11:21

A friend of mine who is a retired prison officer told me that in his time, all prisoners were given a category, A,B,C or D, depending on a number of things. Only category D prisoners would be chosen for an open prison, because they would be non-violent with short sentences, or sometimes prisoners coming to the end of a long sentence and soon to be released. The open prisons are used as a sort of half way house to prepare for going back into life outside prison.

These days there doesn't seem to be such strict criteria for sticking with those categories. Prison overcrowding etc means that more prisoners are being sent to open prisons just because there is nowhere else to hold them, even lifers with no prospect of ever being released! These are the ones more likely to abscond.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Re: Ford Open Prison has 90 inmates on the run

Post by Kitkat on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 13:19

@Whiskers wrote:Prison overcrowding etc means that more prisoners are being sent to open prisons just because there is nowhere else to hold them

That very subject is in the news today:

England and Wales prisons 'close to bursting point'

The Chief Inspector of Prisons has warned that jails in England and Wales are so overcrowded there is a risk to prisoners and the public.

Nick Hardwick accused ministers of a "political and policy failure" after the government told 40 prisons to find space for hundreds of extra inmates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27854114

Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 16:49