KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

French trains are too fat !

Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

French trains are too fat !

Post by Kitkat on Wed 21 May 2014, 13:07

Two thousand new French trains 'too fat for railway'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27497727

The French train operator SNCF has discovered that 2,000 new trains it ordered at a cost of 15bn euros ($20.5bn; £12.1bn) are too wide for many regional platforms.

The blunder has so far cost the rail operator over 50m euros ($68.4m; £40.6m).

And the BBC correspondent in Paris (Christian Fraser) says cost is likely to rise even further.

Construction work has already started to reconfigure station platforms.

The work will allow new trains room to pass through. But officials say that there are still 1,000 platforms to be adjusted.
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Re: French trains are too fat !

Post by Stardust on Mon 26 May 2014, 11:54

For goodness' sake! Makes you shake your head in dismay doesn't it?
It's bad enough having a dangerous wide gap to jump over at some stations when the train is too far from the edge of the platform. Now SNCF have gone to the other extreme.
I wonder what's next on their exciting agenda?

Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Male

Post by Jamboree on Mon 26 May 2014, 15:24

Stardust wrote:For goodness' sake! Makes you shake your head in dismay doesn't it?
It's bad enough having a dangerous wide gap to jump over at some stations when the train is too far from the edge of the platform. Now SNCF have gone to the other extreme.
I wonder what's next on their exciting agenda?

The SNCF are blaiming the RFF, saying they are the ones that got their dimensions in a twist.
The two companies have recently merged?  So, a marriage of convenience, not looking to be a very happy one either.  No love lost between the two.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Fri 30 May 2014, 15:06

Jamboree wrote:The SNCF are blaiming the RFF, saying they are the ones that got their dimensions in a twist.
The two companies have recently merged?  So, a marriage of convenience, not looking to be a very happy one either.  No love lost between the two.

Stardust wrote:I wonder what's next on their exciting agenda?

Strike, maybe?   rock 

When I lived in France, I do remember the SNCF were constantly on strike for one reason or another - sometimes really for the silliest of reasons.

That was a long time ago, and things may have changed since then.
Kitkat
Admin
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 21:10

A recent Magazine article about great miscalculations - inspired by the French railway company's purchase of trains that are too wide for many platforms - prompted readers to share their own mistakes.

The piece listed 10 examples where a little error has had large repercussions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27782731

My personal favourite - the one about the cat flap:
Derek Roberts, Ferring, West Sussex:
I once had the task of installing a cat flap into a door between my garage and my house. I carefully measured and marked the hole required, and took the door off its hinges to cut the hole - but once the door was on the bench, I couldn't find the markings. I assumed they were on the reverse of the door, so I marked it up again and cut the hole. I brought the door back to the frame but the hinges were in the wrong place... then I noticed the scuff marks were at the top of the door... I'd put the cat flap in at the wrong end. Many helpful comments about trampolines and ladders were to follow!

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 15:11