KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally)

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally) Empty Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally)

Post by Kitkat Fri 16 May 2014, 14:07

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat type 2 diabetes

By Pippa Stephens Health reporter, BBC News

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally) _74874412_h1101266-selection_of_foods_from_a_balanced_diet-spl
    Vegetables and fruit - Scientists prescribed two meals a day rich in fruit, vegetables and fibre

Only eating breakfast and lunch may be more effective at managing type 2 diabetes than eating smaller, more regular meals, scientists say.

Researchers in Prague fed two groups of 27 people the same calorie diet spread over two or six meals a day.

They found volunteers who ate two meals a day lost more weight than those who ate six, and their blood sugar dropped.

Experts said the study supported "existing evidence" that fewer, larger meals were the way forward.
    Timing important?

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body does not produce enough of the hormone insulin, which controls the amount of sugar in the blood, meaning blood sugar levels become too high.

If untreated, it can lead to heart disease and stroke, nerve damage, light-sensitive eyes and kidney disease.

About 2.9 million people in the UK are affected by diabetes, 90% of whom have the type 2 form of the disease.

Current advice in the UK recommends three meals a day, with healthy snacks.

Scientists at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague divided a group of 54 volunteers aged 30 to 70 with type 2 diabetes into two groups of 27 people.

Volunteers were then given either a six-meal-a-day diet (A6) for 12 weeks followed by a two-meal day diet (B2), or vice versa.

The study compared two meals with six meals - as the latter accorded with current practice advice in the Czech Republic, researchers said.

Each diet contained on average 1,700 calories a day.

The B2 group ate between 06:00 and 10:00 and then between 12:00 and 16:00, and the A6 group ate their food throughout the day.

Weight loss for the B2 group averaged 1.4kg (3lb) more than A6, and they lost about 4cm (1.5in) more from their waistlines.

Lead scientist Dr Hana Kahleova, at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, said the results were "very pleasing".

She said: "The patients were really afraid they would get hungry in the evening but feelings of hunger were lower as the patients ate until they were satisfied.

"But when they ate six times a day the meals were not leaving them feeling satisfied. It was quite surprising."

Dr Kahleova said the study could apply to people without diabetes who were trying to lose weight.

Dr Richard Elliott, research communications officer at Diabetes UK, said the study added to evidence that eating fewer, larger meals a day could be more effective than smaller, frequent meals at helping people manage their condition.

He added: "However, larger studies over longer periods of time will be needed to back up these findings before we would make changes to the dietary advice given to people with type 2 diabetes."

Dr Elliot said eating a healthy, balanced diet, being active and maintaining a healthy weight, alongside taking any medication was "vital" to effectively manage the condition.
    Source link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27422547

As always, there are conflicting views to every theory put forward - as some of the Comments to this article shows. (170 comments added so far)
    Differing circumstances with different individuals, where one thing is right for one person but may be totally wrong and ineffective for another.

A sample of some of the comments:
    AJ
    1 Hour ago

As a Type 2 diet controlled diabetic, I have looked for clues amongst other cultures. I follow the Japanese methodology, where I only eat carbs in the morning and, where practicable, I eat two large meals. I have had stable blood sugar levels for over six years. The US and EU advice does not work, as it involves too much natural sugar and carbs i.e. fruit, rice, etc.

Comment number 79.
    The Flying Dutchman
    2 Hours ago

As a type 2 diabetic I have tried a range of different diet patterns and for me, a good breakfast and a good evening meal with exercise in between allows me the best control with some medication.

I think a lot of people's metabolism will have evolved over their lifetime do one size won't fit all.

Having said that the more information that becomes available the better.

Comment number 71.
    Mike Solomons
    2 Hours ago

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1985 and told to lose 2 stones in weight. I did this by mainly filling myself with extremely weak black coffee and eating two meals a day.

I remained diet only controlled for 15 years by a careful approach to sensible eating. I have lapsed a bit but at 66 years of age still am healthy enough to work full time.

Nice to see they are copying me!
    Comment number 8.
    vaguehenri
    2 Hours ago

I'm a type two diabetic that has struggled with an eating pattern that works to keep sugars low.

The article above almost exactly describes what I'm currently doing to keep control of my sugars. Lots of small meals was driving my levels very high.

I know other diabetics though that work better with more small meals. It varies between individuals and habits.

and from Dr Richard Elliott of Diabetes UK

"Larger studies over longer periods of time will be needed to back up these findings before we would change advice”
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally) Empty Re: Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally)

Post by Jamboree Wed 21 May 2014, 22:27

After all is said and done, it's not rocket science!  Read about it, write about it, hear about it till the cows come home.  All's that's needed is plain and simple.  An ounce of common sense, and everything else in moderation.  

Simples!  albino
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally) Empty Re: Two meals a day 'effective' to treat Type 2 Diabetes (& to lose weight generally)

Post by Kitkat Thu 22 May 2014, 15:08

Jamboree wrote:After all is said and done, it's not rocket science!  Read about it, write about it, hear about it till the cows come home.  All's that's needed is plain and simple.  An ounce of common sense, and everything else in moderation.  

Simples!  albino

You certainly make it sound simple, Jamboree. Just an ounce of common sense is needed, ya reckon?

True what you say though ... overall, it is common sense to have a bit of balance in all things.
    We learned (or at least I did) the basics of the importance of a balanced diet (to include proteins, carbohydrates and fat) at early school domestic science & biology classes. Knowing about it - and sticking to it - two different things though. Much easier said than done.

As for all the ever-changing and sometimes contradicting advices published, you wouldn't want to put too much store on articles of that sort. They are very often just fill-in back-ups when there's not much news to report. Every 10 years or so, a contradictory study/report on the same topic seems to crop up.  scared 

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:49