KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Eurovision 2014

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Eurovision 2014 Empty Eurovision 2014

Post by Kitkat Sat 10 May 2014, 13:03

Love it, or hate it - it's that time again.  (Me? - happyheart )  Not quite the same without Terry Wogan's tongue-in-cheek commentary filling in 'the bits', but Graham Norton does a pretty good job in his attempt at keeping up with the tradition.

The Eurovision song contest is nearly 60 years old but it is still very much young at heart.

Every year the acts aim to thrill and entertain with eye catching outfits and show stopping songs and of course political issues are never far from the stage either - this year the world will be watching the voting between Russia and Ukraine after the Russian entry was booed at the semi final on Tuesday night,

So who are the acts to look out for this year?

Sophie van Brugen reports from Copenhagen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27353801
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Eurovision 2014 Empty Re: Eurovision 2014

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 10 May 2014, 14:07

I don't watch this any more. It's well past its sell by date!

It's not just the political voting that's off-putting, it's that no nation seems to really bother putting in decent songs any more.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 10 May 2014, 17:58

Umberto Cocopop wrote:I don't watch this any more. It's well past its sell by date!

It's not just the political voting that's off-putting, it's that no nation seems to really bother putting in decent songs any more.

I know, that's a real shame (about the standard of the songs) - it's all about stunts now and who can grab the most attention by being the most outrageous etc, but it does add a different kind of interest to it all.
    The political voting - although cringeful in places - can be downright hilarious and actually quite enjoyable.

The grand final of this year's Eurovision Song Contest will air tonight, 10th May on BBC One at 8pm

You can get all the goss here (anyone who's interested, that is):
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/what-time-eurovision-2014-today-3519822

I'm not at all bothered with all the details of the build-up to before the actual event, who's going to be performing and odds on for favourite, etc. I like to just watch it, fresh, as it happens - and it's often interesting to see what the hosting country has to offer by way of advertising their nation, their hospitality etc. I wonder what the theme will be from Copenhagen?

(I do record it too - mainly so that I can just flick through the stuff that is just too desperately awful to bear! - Thing is, that's when you used to get the best comments and laughs when our Terry was around).

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 10 May 2014, 22:57

The voting is under way now. No easy prediction. Anything can happen here.

Can't remember any of the songs - except for the Netherlands, which is my favourite, and the Danish entry not bad as well. Those are my 1st and 2nd.

Followed then by Greece, Malta and Germany.

I don't think the Netherlands will get the top placing - as it's not the sort of song that normally would do, - in other words, I wouldn't put money on it - but it's still my fave.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 10 May 2014, 23:21

KitKat wrote: it's all about stunts now and who can grab the most attention by being the most outrageous etc,

I had a quick butcher's at the scoring before coming upstairs and there's a bloke with a beard who's dressed as a woman.

That one will probably win. Rolling Eyes 

That's why I don't watch it - you just can't take it seriously any more. It's a shame really as in the past, a lot of good songs were entered.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 12 May 2014, 11:03

Analysis from BBC News:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27371264

The latest Eurovision figures have revealed the differences between the public phone vote and the jury vote at Saturday night's competition.

(I suppose the telephone votes made lots of money for the hosting company though. Voting (from the UK) was allowed by telephone call only - and then only during a limited, selected time)

The UK phone vote gave Poland's Donatan and Cleo top marks but the jury thought they were the worst act of the night.

Their combined score meant Poland ended up with nil points from the British.

Every country's voting power is split 50/50 between a jury and the public. Austria's Conchita Wurst won the contest in Copenhagen on Saturday.

Other discrepancies included Germany, whose public vote put Greece in fourth place but whose jury ranked it fourth from bottom at 22nd. Again, this resulted in nil points overall.

Ireland also gave Poland top marks in the telephone vote but the song We are Slavs was given bottom marks by the jury panel.

Poland's act was accompanied by a number of attractive female performers who suggestively churned butter and washed laundry on stage.
    Poland Eurovision Poland's act was accompanied by maids in risque outfits

Malta was voted as the sixth favourite by France although the public vote only ranked it 20th, so it received no votes.

There was more consensus in some countries however, including Belarus, which gave Russia top marks - 12 points - after it was ranked first by both the public telephone vote and the jury.

The five-person juries from each country are made up of music professionals.

In two of the 37 countries eligible to vote - Albania and San Marino - the vote was based just on the jury decision as there was either insufficient votes or a breach of the rules regarding the televote.

In Georgia, the vote was based purely on the public vote, due to technical issues or a breach of the rules surrounding the jury vote.

Russia, which is facing opposition to the ongoing crisis in Ukraine, received nil points from more than half the countries at Eurovision.
    Conchita Wurst Austria's Conchita Wurst was one of the favourites to win

They included Austria, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and the UK.

The Netherlands were the runners-up behind Austria's drag act, Wurst.

Wurst, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, won with the song Rise Like a Phoenix, collecting 290 points.

The UK's Molly Smitten-Downes came 17th, with 40 points for her song Children of the Universe.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon 12 May 2014, 12:44

Umberto Cocopop wrote: I had a quick butcher's at the scoring before coming upstairs and there's a bloke with a beard who's dressed as a woman.

That one will probably win.

That's why I don't watch it - you just can't take it seriously any more. It's a shame really as in the past, a lot of good songs were entered.

We were playing Scrabble so listened to most of the songs at the same time and as soon as I heard Conchita Wurst sing I thought he had more than a good chance (depending on the quality of singers following him) so I wasn't surprised that he won. He does have a very good voice.

I was disappointed to hear that he puts on a fake beard just before going on stage. That rather takes away from whatever point he was trying to make. I did laugh to see that the Austrian girl who gave her country's votes had stuck on a beard just like Conchita. giggle 

Did anyone else think his face looked like a lot of artists' representation of Jesus?  giggle
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Eurovision 2014 Empty Russian Orthodox Church condemns Conchita Wurst's appearance on Eurovision

Post by Jamboree Wed 21 May 2014, 22:13

The Russian Orthodox Church categorically opposes bearded men in dresses!

Eurovision 2014 Russian_Orthodox_Church_Bearded_Men_Dresses  surprised
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon 26 May 2014, 11:57

lololol 

Nice one, Jamboree.
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Mon 26 May 2014, 15:01

Just noticed I forgot to post the link explaining that cartoon.  It was relevant because the Russian Orthodox Church had railed against Conchita Wurst's entry in Eurovision saying this bearded man in a dress was an abomination.

And now they are blaiming him for the Balkan floods!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/serbia/10850219/Conchita-Wurst-caused-Balkan-floods-after-Eurovision-win-say-church-leaders.html

several church leaders have now claimed the recent devastating flooding across the Balkans, which was the worst in a century and left over 50 people dead, was "divine punishment" for Conchita's victory.

"This [flood] is not a coincidence, but a warning," Patriarch Amfilohije of Montenegro said, according to e.novine.com. "God sent the rains as a reminder that people should not join the wild side."

Patriarch Irinej, the spiritual leader of Eastern Orthodox Serbs, reportedly said the floods were "divine punishment for their vices" and that "God is thus washing Serbia of its sins".

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:29