KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life Forum's Portal Page is: 'Superhuman: Geniuses - Real Stories'

Feather by the sea.

Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Re: Feather by the sea.

Post by Stardust on 5th September 2016, 14:59

You've made my day with that post, Feather, and long may our happy and positive Feather remain.

Wicked girl, making us hungry...
lar-lar
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Post by lar-lar on 6th September 2016, 11:28

Glad you're feeling better Feather - that's answered my PM.

I've never heard of  Bere Bannock before so that was interesting.  toast
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 6th September 2016, 13:47

I bet you can't pronounce it right either, Lar. yay .

I'D RATHER PURR THAN HISS!  
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 7th September 2016, 11:41

Feather wrote:It's a lovely September day in Orkney. I'm having a real Orcadian lunch of Bere Bannock and Orkney Cheese, both made from Orkney produce--bere meal and cheese made from the milk of Orkney cows. Mmmmm!! Maybe kk has an idea what I'm talking about as she's from Ireland but the rest of you won't have a clue. Am I right? The bere is grown in the field, harvested, taken to the mill where it is ground down into a flour-like powder which the baker then shapes into a flat, round scone about 8" in diameter. When baked, it is delicious with the right kind of cheese and butter. Flour Bannocks are also made but I much prefer the Bere meal.
Well, that's that lot scoffed. Now I will take Chica to Scapa Beach where she will run free--off the lead---and we shall both benefit from the purity of island air.
Those of you who know me may realise that my mood seems to have lightened these past few days. I'm not sure why but I have my suspicions. 1. My brother has got over a worrying turn which landed him in hospital over last weekend. 2. I had a blood test which came back clear of any nasties. 3. My excruciating neck/shoulder pain has gone---including the equally distressing constipation which was the result of all the strong painkillers.4. I am so far resisting taking more antidepressants. I have an unopened box of them but am determined to leave it in that state. I do NOT want all those side effects back again. I counted 10--12 of them, all very unpleasant.I hope I don't have to eat my words as well as the bere bannock.xxx.

I confess to not having heard about the Orkney bere bannocks before your mention here.  Of course, since discovered there's loads about it on the internet.  Found a nice looking recipe here: http://www.orkney.com/whats-new/how-to-use-beremeal

I suppose the nearest Irish version of the bere bannock would be the Irish soda bread.  My mam used to rustle up two large ones every day - one brown and one white.  It was such a quick and easy thing to do, her 'routine' was to mix and prepare during the half-time break of her favourite programme 'Crossroads' and then chuck them in the Aga oven in time to get back for the second half.  Coronation Street followed on straight after that - so by the time her fave telly slot was finished the soda breads would be cooked and ready to come out of the oven.  I used to love when they were still fresh and warm out of the oven, where the butter would melt into the warm slice.  
Can you believe there is even a 'Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread' !  surprised (an American invention, of course.)
link  http://www.sodabread.info/
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 7th September 2016, 13:55

At my Dad's bakery, they made soda scones. They were pure white and fluffy and my favourites.No-one makes them in Orkney now but I bet my brother still has the recipe. Must ask him.

Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Downturn

Post by Feather on 26th September 2016, 09:30

If only----

If only I could control my thoughts , my emotions, my reactions, my hours, my days, my life.

I don't invite in all the negativity. Where does it come from and why does it plague me so?

How and why did it begin? I recall the joys of my youth when I don't really want to think about them. They increase my sadness tenfold. They hold up a mirror to my present self--an image which I shrink from viewing. Which is the real me? I surely can't be both of these creatures.

If I could draw back the veil and talk to the ones I miss and need so much, would that be enough to return me to my stronger, former self? I don't know and it's that not knowing which ensures that my darker,waiting self is never far away. Is it all really chemical? It seems much deeper than that. The answers and the solution are well beyond my comprehension. Only when I pass into oblivion will my restless, searching mind be still.

The above is a copy of a post I wrote in reply to a fellow sufferer from anxiety/depression on another forum.We understand each other and have become close.

Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 26th September 2016, 18:30

Feather wrote:The above is a copy of a post I wrote in reply to a fellow sufferer from anxiety/depression on another forum.We understand each other and have become close.

I'm glad that you have this new-found mutual understanding commucation that you can avail of when the need arises, Feather.  happyheart

I have come to realise that - not all, but the majority of the gap times when we don't hear from you around here for a while it is possibly because you have been feeling a bit low or stressed out for one reason or another.  At those times everyone needs an outlet of some sort to bring balance back into their lives.  Sometimes all it takes is having another person to share with, someone who understands what you are going through because they themselves are experiencing (or have in the past) the exact same thing.  It's a double blessing in that case because you can both equally help each other out at the times when it's most needed.
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 26th September 2016, 22:11

Yes it really does take a fellow sufferer to realise how bad it can become. With the best will in the world,no-one else can even imagine what clinical anxiety/depression can do to the quality of life.

Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 27th September 2016, 10:32

Yes, I thought your depression must have returned when I noticed your absence again, Feather, and it makes me so sad that we cannot help you. But you have found a friend and fellow-sufferer elsewhere so that's a comfort to know.

I guess many of us find that as the years creep up on us we begin to feel alien to the person looking back out of the mirror, the body starts to complain like a car ridden with rust, we start to wonder where our real self is hiding. Added to depression which may be due to your medication, I can imagine how overpoweringly lost you must feel at times.

I'm sending you my thoughts full of love and projecting bright light across all those long miles to bring you a little warming of the heart (I hope) and lighten your burden of despair.

Take good care, my friend. happyheart

Give Chica a hug. flower

Be grateful for even the smallest thing, blessings come in many disguises.
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 27th September 2016, 12:19

My dear Stardust, tears of sadness and gratitude are flowing--sadness that I cannot have you near me,gratitude for your caring, loving thoughts.The value of a true,caring friend cannot be measured, especially one who has, for so many years now,been at one with me over fundamental issues and attitudes to the vital questions of life.Thank you so much for simply being you. xxxxx.

Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 27th September 2016, 18:04

Methinks it's definitely time for
A
  I love you
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 27th September 2016, 18:52

Good idea, Kitkat. A shared master hug of all hugs.

Oh dear, I didn't want you to shed more tears, dear Feather. But perhaps they washed away the sadness a little (I hope).

I'm looking out of my window, lights are blinking in the distance, the sky is red with the setting sun against the blue before the darkness settles down and the stars appear. Countdown won't take long.

Time to curl up with a book.

Sweet dreams to all tonight.

happyheart

Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 29th September 2016, 06:08

May today be bright and bring you lots of joy, Feather.
I have sent you a PM.  Have a great day.  happyheart

Birthday  HAPPY BIRTHDAY   flower

Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 29th September 2016, 08:29

Thank you, dear Stardust. I have read your pm and replied.xxx.

Whiskers
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Whiskers on 29th September 2016, 13:19

Birthday HAPPY BIRTHDAY FEATHER  xx

Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 29th September 2016, 14:01

Thank you,Whiskers.Very kind. Another year gone but I am blessed to have good friends and two wonderful sons who spoil me rotten. xx.

Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 29th September 2016, 15:13

Hope you're having a great birthday, Feather. ... happyheart

X X X
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 29th September 2016, 17:07

Other famous people born on 29th September:

Caravaggio
Miguel de Cervantes * happyheart *
Sebastian Coe
James Cronin
Elizabeth Gaskell
Greer Garson
Trevor Howard
Zachary Levi
Jerry Lee Lewis  (Great balls of fire!)
Horatio Nelson
Tintoretto
Lech Walesa
etc...
You're in good company, Feather. flower

Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 30th September 2016, 10:49

Thank you for your good wishes, kk.
I'm low today again and you must be sick of reading my moans.
There is a specific reason for my mood today.As you know,I have few people I feel close to
and I'm quite prepared to admit that it's my depression that makes me react as I do but I have received no card from my brother and his wife.Apart from my boys, they are my closest family so it hurts a lot.It's not the card that matters.It's just that they didn't care enough to send one. In all the years, I have never once forgotten their birthdays no matter what I was personally going through. Now I feel that I can't go to see them tomorrow as I might say too much and cause a rift which will not heal. It's not my brother's fault as his memory is not good but Hazel knows perfectly well it was my birthday yesterday. I feel that I don't matter to her and this feeling has existed for some time caused by her attitude to me. It's a gut feeling which is very strong. I have had to ignore remarks made by her for my brother's sake. She's just not my kind of person in too many ways to tell you but this has really hurt me and I don't know where it will end.

Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 30th September 2016, 13:59

It's the depression speaking, Feather. We all have these disappointments in life when we would wish that we were more important for certain people to whom we feel close by blood or other ties. You mustn't let this get you down. Ask yourself if you will remember in 10 years time, and the answer is probably not. You say your brother's memory is not so great so don't worry about his forgetting your birthday. If his wife remembered then didn't send a card, does it really matter? The hurt a person does to others is just blocking out the love they might themselves receive, so not doing them any good. Rise above it. You know your brother loves you and that's worth more than a piece of card.

Perhaps the card is just late, anyway?

Smile, lass, tomorrow is another day. happyheart

Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 30th September 2016, 16:26

You never know, Feather ... as it seems you are already expected to visit 'tomorrow' (which is today now of course), they might have had a nice little surprise planned for you - which might just go some way to make up for your disappointment yesterday. flower Do let us know if that turns out to be the case.
Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Plea for Feather to lift up her head and her heart

Post by Stardust on 6th October 2016, 14:47

Poor Feather must be sad again.
No more sunshine, but only rain
is all that she perceives these days
and we're all looking here for ways
to cheer her up and make her smile
and make her darkness lift awhile.
For if she's feeling so depressed
it makes things glum for all the rest.
For friends do share the ups and downs
and so we all try to be clowns
to make her laugh or at least grin
and let the light of friendship in,
so things do not seem quite so bad
when kindly words are to be had
and hugs and warmth sent from us here
let Feather know she is so dear.
So cheer up lass, and come back soon
and smile on us like the full Moon.
Cos if you're sad, then we are too
because we love a friend like you.
There aren't so many, you know that,
so come along and have a chat.
We miss you, Feather, worry too.
Please hurry back and don't be blue.
There's no good curling up alone
to cry to Chica and to moan,
when we are here our arms held wide
to welcome you, come back inside.

happyheart happyheart

Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 6th October 2016, 16:39

Thank you so much for your jaunty poem, Stardust. Lots of love. xxx.

Stardust
All Star Gold Member
All Star Gold Member

Post by Stardust on 6th October 2016, 16:41

Hey, Feather ! Good to have you back. I was worried. happyheart

Updated my FlashPlayer so now I can post pictures again.

Funny thing, though, they all seem to have become avatar size.

lar-lar
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Post by lar-lar on 10th October 2016, 19:41

Belated birthday love sent your way Feather. 

Sorry, had so much going on it's hard to focus on anything else sometimes.

But you are very dear to me  happyheart happyheart happyheart happyheart happyheart happyheart
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Feather on 10th October 2016, 21:23

Don't worry, Lar. I understand. I hope things are not too bad for you. Life can be a right b*****d.
Another of my friends passed away yesterday from cancer so I'm feeling a little vulnerable again.xxx.

Current date/time is 21st October 2018, 04:50