KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

5 posters

Wonderful images - fabulous music

bimbow
    bimbow

Wonderful images - fabulous music Empty Wonderful images - fabulous music

Post by bimbow Wed 04 Jul 2012, 01:28

What a combination,

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Wonderful images - fabulous music Empty Re: Wonderful images - fabulous music

Post by Kitkat Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:03

Lovely, really lovely.
    Thanks for posting that, Bimbow. sunny
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Wed 04 Jul 2012, 23:38

Don't encourage me, KK!  I'm a sucker for a big tune and a great voice.  There are loads of versions of Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" on Youtube, with wonderful voices, but this one has a little extra for me.  I don't know how accurate the subtitles are - my Czech is distinctly rusty these days. Wonderful images - fabulous music 4274503960

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sun 12 May 2013, 00:04

Here's something I came across a few years ago.  I think it fits the thread title.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 12 May 2013, 09:35

bimbow wrote:Here's something I came across a few years ago.  I think it fits the thread title.

Oh wow ... that was all-encapsulating and enthralling.  Just what I needed this morning!
    Try watching/listening with full screen - you will be transported.   sunny
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Mon 13 May 2013, 00:03

KK, what about this wonderful duet?  It is from an opera by Korngold - "Die Tote Stadt" - set in Bruges, but the images are from the Salzburg area.  I've only been there once - 1988 or thereabouts.  I'm starting to get ideas..........

[video no longer available]
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sat 03 Aug 2013, 21:08

Debussy's "Clair de Lune", orchestrated by Stokowski, but eventually omitted from the final cut of Disney's "Fantasia".

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 14 Aug 2013, 14:32

bimbow wrote:Debussy's "Clair de Lune", orchestrated by Stokowski, but eventually omitted from the final cut of Disney's "Fantasia".

This is divine.  purr
    Tip:  Play it on full screen even better.
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sat 17 Aug 2013, 22:51

Glad you enjoyed it, Whiskers.  Here's another piece of Debussy's early piano music, but without Stokowski's sugary orchestration.  There are loads of versions on Youtube, but I like this one as the performer, whose name is misspelt on the video, keeps it nice and simple. I also thought you might especially enjoy the sea scenes.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Mon 16 Sep 2013, 00:25

A wonderful, and not very well-known piece by RVW.  Over eleven minutes, but worth your time, I'd hope.  Quite a vigorous performance.

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sun 22 Sep 2013, 00:53

bimbow wrote:Glad you enjoyed it, Whiskers.  Here's another piece of Debussy's early piano music, but without Stokowski's sugary orchestration.  There are loads of versions on Youtube, but I like this one as the performer, whose name is misspelt on the video, keeps it nice and simple. I also thought you might especially enjoy the sea scenes.

Yes, very lovely. purr   Soothing and calm.  Pity the images are not animated though.  The music is very appropriate for the calm rippling waters but doesn't fit in with the rough seas images.
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sun 06 Oct 2013, 21:14

I've listened to many versions of the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony on Youtube.  Many are painfully and indulgently slow, in my opinion.  This performance, even though 8 and a half minutes long, still maintains some momentum, and brings out the bitter-sweet nature of certain passages of the music.

Many will know that Visconti made extensive use of Mahler's music in his classic film "Death in Venice", based on the novella by Thomas Mann.

Not to everyone's taste, but highly effective.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 06 Oct 2013, 23:42

bimbow wrote:I've listened to many versions of the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony on Youtube.  Many are painfully and indulgently slow, in my opinion.
    I remember from my music [appreciation] lessons at school, that 'Adagio' is a slow tempo. It would follow then that 'Adagietto' should be perhaps a little bit slow(?) or slow-ish(?)

Not exactly a lover of any of Mahler's music tbh - it all seems rather depressing to me.  I have seen the film 'Death in Venice' loads of times but don't remember the background music - apart from the gondola funeral scenes, but sure doesn't sound like funeral music to me (listening to it in that video).  I definitely wouldn't want that played at my funeral anyway, that's for sure! thumbdown   You can be sure I'd make my presence known in no uncertain terms.  violin2  giggle
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sat 16 Nov 2013, 23:26

Here's a piece many will recognise - Albinoni's Adagio, accompanied by some nice(ish) pics.

Of course, the piece is far too Romantic to be Albinoni, but it is still very appealing.

http://borepatch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/rimo-giazotto-hoax-attributed-to-tomaso.html

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 17 Nov 2013, 19:52

bimbow wrote:Here's a piece many will recognise - Albinoni's Adagio,

I love you  That just happens to one of my very favourite pieces of music - but I never knew what it was until now!

Thank you, bimbow.  happyheart
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Tue 19 Nov 2013, 00:11

KK, I hope you don't mind if I wander a bit off topic.  Here is a piece of genuine Albinoni - important to me as I chose it for part of my father's funeral nearly 7 years ago.  No great images, just a lovely piece.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 01 Dec 2013, 01:09

bimbow wrote: Here is a piece of genuine Albinoni - important to me as I chose it for part of my father's funeral nearly 7 years ago.  No great images, just a lovely piece.
    Like that one. sunny 
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Tue 03 Dec 2013, 23:03

More for a hot sunny summer day than early December, but you can use your imagination.  And a suitably chilled glass of wine is not impossible, whatever the season.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 04 Dec 2013, 09:52

Debussy's l'Apres Midi d'un Faun was one of the pieces on the curriculum for my music appreciation/evaluation classes at school in preparation for the Intermediate Exam (equivalent to 'O' Levels here).  It was my least liked, and I hoped it wouldn't crop up in the exam.  It did! but thank goodness we had a choice option, so I didn't have to tackle it.

Mozart was my favourite, and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik the ultimate, not least because at that time the Overture had been made into a popular instrumental single (can't remember who by), which actually got to Number 1 in the Top 20 musical charts in Ireland for a time!

Here is the Second Movement from Mozart's EKN.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pretty scenes to go with it, so the visual is a bit boring here (to say the least!).

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:05

Changing the mood somewhat ...  

Lord of the Dance performed in Hyde Park, London.  I was there! What a memory ... Very Happy 
    Michael Flatley - one of my favourite people. What that man did for Irish music and dance is just phenomenal.  A veritable genius.  

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sun 08 Dec 2013, 22:16

Wow! I have just sat through watching and listening to the whole performance, and I will gladly sit through it all again for a repeat. There is some real talent there. Amazing!
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 28 Apr 2014, 22:56

bimbow wrote:A beautiful Mozart trio from "Così fan tutte".

OK, forget the video - sublime music.

Actually, quite a pleasing video if you happen to live in that pretty little village and are photographing the surrounding countryside area, which may have been the intention from the balloon.  Smile 

I love the Parisienne one, (sight and sound) .... brings back memories of when I lived there (a long time ago, when I was young and innocent)  

This is quite lovely. Just a still image, but a lovely one all the same.  Shame about having to go through the annoying ad first - there doesn't seem to be any option to skip it.  (Why do some YT vids have that but not others?)

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Mon 28 Apr 2014, 23:16

The Dvorak is lovely.  I didn't see any ads, and I don't get them on FB or The Guardian or any forums.  I installed Adblock Plus on my laptop, and it works.  It is also free, though a small donation will be accepted I think!
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 28 Apr 2014, 23:27

bimbow wrote:I didn't see any ads, and I don't get them on FB or The Guardian or any forums.  I installed Adblock Plus on my laptop, and it works.  It is also free, though a small donation will be accepted I think!

Synchronicity or what!??  surprised  I have literally just now been reading through help guide details of which ad blocker might be the best to use. Info on Adblock Plus is still open on my laptop, after just having read through it!

Got to be a sign.  cheesy  Thanks, B. Going to give it a try.  :thumb: 
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sun 07 Dec 2014, 01:00

Beautiful images - hypnotic  music.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sun 07 Dec 2014, 12:48

bimbow wrote:Beautiful images - hypnotic  music.

Probably a really stupid question ... but what is the city in the film there?
    The only clue in there is that it's an English-speaking place (from the ads on the side of the tram).
    Could be San Francisco, as all the streets in SF are apparently long and straight and hilly! (?)
    The monumental building at the end of the street should be a telling landmark, I suppose, but I don't recognise it and it was taking ages to travel down that street.  I couldn't wait till eventually reaching the end because my eyes wouldn't stay open.  The hypnotic music was sending me to sleep!  Wonderful images - fabulous music Hypnotized
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sun 07 Dec 2014, 14:50

You are right, KK. 1905-1906 Market Street San Francisco.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Wonderful images - fabulous music Empty Building Bolero

Post by Kitkat Mon 19 Jan 2015, 18:15

Fabulous ..........     purr

We've had Beethoven in streets and railway stations, Tchaikovsky in a hospital plus others, now we have the Brisbane Symphony Orchestra playing Ravel's Bolero on the South Bank in Brisbane - enjoy!! Watch to the very end!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xn7CYzPMf2o?utm_source=exact&utm_medium=email&utm_content=590819&utm_campaign=Saturday&modapt
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Tue 20 Jan 2015, 03:45

Here's a good one.  

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:43

Love it!  Very Happy
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Wed 21 Jan 2015, 00:57

Lovely stuff - great street theatre, but the acoustics were all wrong of course.  Why not try the full 16 minutes.  Not a lot to look at, but a chance to appreciate the brilliant orchestration.  And the build up is impressive.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 21 Jan 2015, 16:48

Ah yes.  Lovely. Very Happy  
    I love the dramatic way the conductor instructs with his eyes, rather than waving his stick around.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 21 Jan 2015, 17:39

Kitkat wrote:We've had Beethoven in streets and railway stations, Tchaikovsky in a hospital plus others,

I found Tchaikovsky in a hospital!

Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Thu 22 Jan 2015, 04:23

It can not get any better than this!

To pay homage to the town they love and to celebrate their 130 anniversary Sabadell Bank in Spain delighted the townspeople with an incredible symphony flash mob. Watch as they play Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and sang Ode to Joy, filling up the town with joy and beautiful music!

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Thu 22 Jan 2015, 18:05

Awesome and so uplifting. Very Happy   That's just how it should be.  All music should be available for ordinary folk in the street to enjoy anywhere. Not everyone has the money to fork out on concerts and theatres.  
    These flashmobs must take an awful lot of organising in advance.  Well done to all the people who took part.  Really great to see.  sunny
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sun 01 Mar 2015, 23:31

A Chopin Nocturne, with appropriate images.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Mon 11 May 2015, 01:33

I hope I'm allowed.  Not wonderful images, but fabulous music and glorious voices. Rapture.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Tue 23 Jun 2015, 01:26

The fourth of Richard Strauss's "Four Last Songs", sung by the wonderful Gundula Janowitz.  The images, not perhaps wonderful, but interesting, relate to King Ludwig 11 of Bavaria, who was responsible for the construction of two spectacular "Fairy-tale" castles, and the near bankruptcy of his country.  He died in mysterious circumstances in a nearby lake.  Hence the images.  Anyway, enjoy what was probably Strauss's last composition.

(That music always produces tears.)
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Thu 25 Jun 2015, 05:57

bimbow wrote:The fourth of Richard Strauss's "Four Last Songs", sung by the wonderful Gundula Janowitz.  The images, not perhaps wonderful, but interesting, relate to King Ludwig 11 of Bavaria, who was responsible for the construction of two spectacular "Fairy-tale" castles, and the near bankruptcy of his country.  He died in mysterious circumstances in a nearby lake.  Hence the images.  Anyway, enjoy what was probably Strauss's last composition.

(That music always produces tears.)

Not really my type of sound, but very listenable.  Had to go find the other three.  Here they all are together.  No images, only those conjured up in your own minds.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Sat 26 Sep 2015, 00:45

Jamboree,  that recording was one of the first I bought on CD - 20 years ago.  She has a great voice, though in my opinion, rather too big for those songs.

Anyway, in complete contrast, a keyboard arrangement of a Siciliana from a flute sonata by J.S.Bach.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Mon 11 Jan 2016, 00:48

Any lovers of guitar music?  Here is a classic.  And I've just booked a holiday visiting this very place.

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Tue 12 Jan 2016, 12:31

Makes me feel sad and lonely watching that Bimbow.  Lovely photos but not a soul around anywhere.  I think the person playing that tune was sad and lonely thinking about his empty life  and probably contemplating ending it all.  shtum   rock
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Wonderful images - fabulous music Empty This beautiful planet ....

Post by Kitkat Tue 09 Feb 2016, 23:08

Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 10 Feb 2016, 11:44

So much enjoying that beautiful video, only it gets stuck half way through.  Every time it starts to buffer in the same place and wont go any further.  sadd   Dont know if its the video or just me.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Fri 06 May 2016, 23:40

Sorry you were having trouble posting YouTube videos, bimbow.  I can't think what the problem can be. scratchhead

Here goes - hopefully these will come out okay:

1.  Second movement of Nigel Hess Piano Concerto, commissioned by Prince Charles in memory of the death of the Queen Mother.  

2.  Theme music to the Hetty Wainthropp TV series, also composed by Nigel Hess.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Fri 10 Feb 2017, 23:20

Nothing much to look at - just a Monet (!)  - but wonderfully atmospheric music. 
    Benjamin Britten - Sea Interludes from "Peter Grimes".  (1. Dawn) (1944)

And very good sound, on my headphones, at least.
    bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Fri 21 Jul 2017, 22:21

A lovely, not well-known Rachmaninov Prelude. The others are well-worth exploring for those who have the time.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Thu 01 Mar 2018, 17:21

"Nimrod" from The Enigma Variations, with dramatic images. Best viewed Full Screen.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Thu 01 Mar 2018, 17:23

Just had one of those, "Have I posted this before?" moments. I don't think I have, but apologies if I have!

This is, apparently,  a deleted scene from Disney's "Fantasia", credited as dating from 1940. Terrible sound but something delightful about the animation. Hoping viewers will enjoy.

bimbow
    bimbow

Post by bimbow Wed 26 Sep 2018, 22:27

This is basically a promotional video for the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring Smetana's "Vltava".   Some lovely images to remind anyone who has visited the beautiful city. Definitely a brisk performance.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 04:25