- Infections in the Australian state of Victoria are surging, with hundreds of new cases reported daily
- The number of virus deaths in Iran is nearly triple what the government says, leaked data shows
- New tests for Covid-19 and flu that can give results in 90 minutes are to be rolled out in the UK next week
- Manchester, in northern England, declares a major incident after a rise in the infection rate
- The US is said to be entering a "new phase", with rural and urban areas both affected
- Diners at UK restaurants to get 50% off meals as "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme launches
- Globally, more than 18 million infections and 689,000 deaths have been recorded - Johns Hopkins University
Good morning to our audience in the UK who are just waking up. Throughout the day we’ll be bringing you the latest coronavirus news from here and around the world.
The top story in the UK this morning is on a new type of coronavirus test that is being rolled out in care homes and labs from next week.
The “on-the-spot” 90-minute swab tests, which will test if someone currently has the virus, will also be able to differentiate between Covid-19 and other seasonal illnesses like flu, the government said.
The idea is that it will be beneficial over the winter, when flu cases could rise as well as the virus.
Currently, the majority of test results are returned within 24 hours, but a quarter can take up to two days. Read more here.
Also this morning:
- The government’s half-price restaurant scheme to encourage diners to eat out begins today
- A major incident has beendeclared in Greater Manchester following recent rises in infection rates – but one council says this is “standard practice” so that more resources can be given
- Profits have plunged at the UK’s biggest bank, HSBC - they're down by 65% for the first half of the year, much more than forecast
What's the latest from around the world today?Here are the top global stories this morning:
- Health officials have arrived in Hong Kong from mainland China to carry out Covid-19 testing . The city is seeing a spike in cases
- The number of deaths from coronavirus in Iran is nearly triple what its government claims, a BBC Persian service investigation has found
- Australia’s Victoria state has recorded 429 cases and 13 deaths over the past 24 hours. The state’s premier has just announced that non-essential services will shut in Melbourne for six weeks
- One of President Trump’s top medical advisers has warned that the US is entering a new phase in its fight against the pandemic. Deborah Birx said the disease was “extraordinarily widespread” across the country and was now affecting rural areas
- Poland’s Health Minister says checks in shops will start this week to see if people are following virus regulations
- More than 27 million people in the Philippines will go back into lockdown on Tuesday after infections surpassed 100,000 on Monday
Singapore to monitor quarantine with trackerStarting on Thursday next week, Singapore will use an electronic tracker to monitor the 14 days of quarantine for anyone allowed to spend the time at home rather than in a state-run facility.
So far, the quarantine has only been monitored with spot checks and phone calls. From 11 August, people will have to wear an electronic tracking device that will record their GPS location.
And given that it’s Singapore, enforcement will likely be strict and unforgiving. Tampering with the device or flouting quarantine will lead to high fines and up to six months in prison.
**READY** New measures in Melbourne announced
Shops in Melbourne are set to close under stage four coronavirus measures
Retail will close in Melbourne under measures announced by Victoria’s Premier Daniel Andrews.
Under stage four restrictions, a number of industries including retail will close for at least six weeks from 23:59 (13:59 GMT) on Wednesday.
Other industries such as construction and manufacturing will have to reduce their operations and staffing levels.
Mr Andrews said the measures would affect 250,000 workers.
Supermarkets, grocery stores, pharmacies and banks will remain open.
Under the current regulations in Melbourne, only one person per household can go to the supermarket. It has to be a shop within 5km (3 miles) of your house and you're only allowed to leave your house for an hour.
Mr Andrews called on people to only buy the food they need and not “six weeks of groceries”.
“Today is a tough day and there are many more of those to come,” he said.
A curfew is already in place in the city from 20:00 to 05:00. Mr Andrews warned that the penalty for those not complying with the rules would increase. That measure is set to be announced on Tuesday.