Krazy Kats

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

CORONAVIRUS: All the latest LIVE worldwide updates - today's updates are also on our Portal page, here)
Message to all: Stay well, stay safe, stay at home - and stay in touch!

Can I avoid quarantine by flying to the UK via Ireland? And other questions ...

Kitkat
Kitkat
Admin

:covid-19: Can I avoid quarantine by flying to the UK via Ireland? And other questions ...

Post by Kitkat on Mon Jun 08 2020, 23:46

Can I avoid quarantine by flying to the UK via Ireland? And other questions ...

8 June 2020

New quarantine rules come into force from 8 June, affecting travellers returning to the UK.
BBC News answers some of your questions on this, and other topics.

Can I travel to Ireland and then onto another country, then back to the UK via Ireland to avoid the quarantine?

The short answer to this is no.
It's true that you don’t have to go into quarantine if you’re returning to the UK from what’s known as the Common Travel Area (CTA) - Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
When the government first announced its plans, there was some speculation that to avoid quarantine, travellers from other countries would be able to fly into an airport in the CTA, and then on to the UK and so avoid having to self-isolate.
Can I avoid quarantine by flying to the UK via Ireland? And other questions ... _1057310

However, this loophole (termed by some the "Dublin dodge") has now been closed by the government. Travellers will only be exempt from quarantine if they have been in the CTA for 14 days or more .
You will have to show proof of when you entered the CTA, and how long you have spent there - such as a boarding pass or itinerary - when you enter the UK.

Do key workers have to quarantine?

Key workers will not necessarily be exempt.
The government has published a detailed list of who will not need to follow the quarantine rules . Among others, it includes road haulage and freight workers, medical and care professionals providing essential health care, some seasonal agricultural workers, Eurostar and Eurotunnel employees, pilots and aircrew and people working to maintain key infrastructure such as the railways.
t also depends where you are going in the UK - some employees will be exempt from quarantine in England and Wales, but not Scotland.
The government guidance details what you’ll need to show when you enter the UK to prove you are exempt. This differs between categories but typically includes proof of your name and address, the name of your employer and what work you’ll be doing.

I will be back in the UK after 8 June, therefore I will have to quarantine. Will my flatmates have to quarantine as well because of me?

Unless your flatmates were travelling with you, they do not need to self-isolate or quarantine with you.
However, you must avoid contact with them and minimise the time you spend in shared spaces like kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas.
You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from your flatmates, and if you can, you should use a separate bathroom from them. If you do need to share these facilities, regular cleaning will be required after each person has used them.
Make sure you use separate towels from the other people in your house, both for bathing and showering, and for washing your hands.

If I have to quarantine after a holiday and can’t work from home will I get paid?

Not necessarily.
If you have returned from holiday abroad and have to self-isolate in quarantine, you will not automatically qualify for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), so it's possible you might have to take the extra time off as annual leave, or else as unpaid leave.
The Department of Work and Pensions says that anyone planning to travel should do so in the knowledge that they will be required to self-isolate on their return.
It adds that employers and staff should discuss and agree any arrangements in advance, and urges employers to take socially responsible decisions.
Meanwhile, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office is still advising UK nationals against taking all but essential international travel.

I am currently self-isolating. Can I attend a hospital appointment?

The current government advice is to access medical assistance remotely, wherever possible.
However, those with a scheduled hospital or other medical appointment during this period, should talk to their GP or clinician.
This is to ensure that they continue to receive the care they need and consider whether appointments can be postponed.

How are there still so many new cases of coronavirus occurring during the lockdown? Is it known if it is from people not observing the rules?

It’s actually difficult to know how many new cases of coronavirus there have been during the lockdown, because until recently, there has been very little testing of the population as a whole (it was mostly just those in hospital and some NHS and care staff who were being tested).
There is also a lag effect with the figures. It takes time for the effects of social distancing to be seen in the daily figures for cases, hospitalisations and then deaths - around three weeks at least - so it may appear as if there are more cases than there currently are. It’s true that some people have been ignoring the rules regarding lockdown . But police chiefs say that compliance is still holding up.
What we do know is that confirmed daily cases of the virus have been on a downward trend since early April , and the rate of infection has dropped significantly. There’s also been a fall in the number of new people being hospitalised, or dying from the virus.
Where there does seem to be a steady rise in the number of cases is in the UK’s care homes . Latest figures suggest that a third of all coronavirus deaths in England and Wales - and nearly half of those in Scotland and Northern Ireland - take place there.

How will routine NHS services be restarted?

Following a drop in hospital patients with Covid-19, the NHS has now outlined its approach to resuming other services in England.
Urgent outpatient appointments will go ahead and routine surgery could be restarted, but GPs will continue to use online consultations, and regular testing will be offered to all staff. The NHS says the pressure on many staff will "remain unprecedented" and employers must keep them safe.
Routine elective surgery will be restarted, with priority given to "long waiters", and cancer referral and diagnostic appointments will be brought back to “pre-Covid-19 levels”.
Discussions are taking place in Wales and Northern Ireland on how to resume normal NHS services. Scotland's health secretary has announced that NHS services will be gradually restarted , without committing to any dates.

We've been told that we must learn to live with the virus so does this mean I have to shield indefinitely?

The simple answer is that we simply don’t know.
People who were in the highest risk category if they were to contract coronavirus were contacted by the NHS in March and told not to go out for 12 weeks. These are people with specific medical conditions.
The government is now advising these people - more than one million around the UK - to shield until the end of June .
Vulnerable people in England and Wales have been advised that from the beginning of June , they will be able to go outdoors with members of their household. Those living alone can meet with someone from another household while maintaining social distancing. Shielding advice in Northern Ireland and Scotland has not yet changed.

How will we know the difference between a genuine contact tracer and a potential scammer?

If you are concerned about whether a call, text or email is genuine, you can check the NHS England Test and Trace service website or the Scottish Government Test and Protect website or the Public Health Agency website in Northern Ireland.
Genuine contract tracers will never ask you for any financial information such as credit card or bank details.
They will also not ask you to set up a password or Pin over the phone, or to call a premium rate number, such as those starting 09 or 087.
If you don’t want to talk over the phone in England, you can ask for an email or text inviting you to log into the web-based service instead.

Can I visit Germany for a three-day business trip?

It depends on a number of factors.
"Typical" business trips to Germany are not currently permitted except to workers carrying out "essential functions" such as healthcare. A certificate from your employer to that effect will be needed if that is the case.
With the introduction of quarantine restrictions at UK borders from 8 June, returning to the UK will not be as straightforward.
Anyone entering the UK from that point will need to self-isolate for 14 days after arrival . There are a number of exemptions to this rule, including UK residents who ordinarily travel overseas at least once a week for work.

Are you allowed to use the car to pick up another member of the family from a different household, in order to come over and sit in the garden?

Legally, no, you are not. Being in a private car with someone from another household might not be classed as outdoors, and meeting someone from another household “indoors” is against the law.
The law in England and Northern Ireland only allows more than two people from different households, up to a maximum of six, to meet outside. In Scotland, eight people can meet outside, but they can only be from two households. In Wales, two households of any number of people can meet outside.
You also cannot get a taxi to bring your relative over to your home, as cabs may only be taken for “essential” purposes.

What should I do as I have not received a refund for a cancelled flight?

If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to the original form of payment within seven days, although many airlines are struggling to meet that deadline.
Ryanair, for example, says customers who want a cash refund will receive it ''in due course'' as it is dealing with a much higher volume of requests than usual, with fewer staff.
Many airlines are trying to avoid giving refunds and are offering vouchers for another flight or a free re-booking instead.
If the airline later folds, the voucher will probably become invalid. And any rebooking could affect the terms of your travel insurance.

If an online grocery delivery driver tests positive for Covid-19, would they need to let the Test and Trace service know every customer they’ve delivered to because they will have handled the food or bags?

No. The tracers will be interested in anybody who has had close contact with a person who has tested positive.
Close contact means being less than 1m (3ft) from somebody at any point, or between 1m and 2m away for more than 15 minutes.
You shouldn't be that close to a delivery driver.
There is a small potential risk of contamination if the food or packaging has been handled by someone who has tested positive.
Online shopping customers are therefore generally advised to leave packaged goods for 72 hours if possible before handling them , or to spray and wipe plastic or glass containers with diluted bleach.
Unwrapped fresh goods should be washed under running water and left to dry.
Jamboree
Jamboree

:covid-19: Re: Can I avoid quarantine by flying to the UK via Ireland? And other questions ...

Post by Jamboree on Wed Jun 10 2020, 00:38

Thanks for this.  Very helpful.  Some of the very questions I needed answering. :thumb:

Thanks too for the invaluable daily coronavirus updates.

Keep safe and well everyone.

Jamboree

Current date/time is Wed Aug 05 2020, 11:58