Krazy Kats

A friendly informal discussion forum: Talk about anything from birth to death - and beyond!

Hi,everyone.

Aussiepom

Female

Comments : A retired old girl who just loves to enjoy life to the utmost.
Star sign : Pisces
Chinese zodiac : Dog

Hi,everyone.

Post by Aussiepom on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 19:27

Lovely to see some familiar names in here.
So pleased to be a new member of this site.
I do like the look of the forums,some interesting subjects there.
A brief visit for now,will be back later.
Smile
AP.
Kitkat
Admin

Female

Star sign : Sagittarius
Chinese zodiac : Dragon

Re: Hi,everyone.

Post by Kitkat on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 20:21

Hi Aussiepom.

Aussiepom

Female

Post by Aussiepom on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 21:04

Thanks KitKat!

cheesy

krisisle

Post by krisisle on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 10:39

Hi AP. Nice to see you here.

Aussiepom

Female

Post by Aussiepom on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 10:46

I'm enjoying it,Krisisle.
Feels like home.
Laughing
Kitkat
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Sat 15 Aug 2015 - 1:57

Just heard that our Aussiepom (Joan) has moved into a Home after spending quite some time in hospital following a fall at her home.

I'm not sure whether she still has access to computer and to the various forums where she was a member - but I hope she is happy and comfortable where she is now, and if anyone reading this is in contact with her, please let her know that we are thinking about her and sending her a big bunch of love and happy wishes.  happyheart

Lots of love to you Joan, from all of us here at Krazy Kats. xxxxx   toast

Whiskers

Female

Star sign : Libra

Post by Whiskers on Sat 15 Aug 2015 - 14:02

I wondered where she was. Hope to see you back soon Aussiepom. Smile
Come and have a drink in the bar. Its lonely in there without you.
Kitkat
Admin

Female

Post by Kitkat on Sun 16 Aug 2015 - 23:59

Actually, it seems she has not actually moved into the Home yet.  Due to move in tomorrow (Monday).
So, I am assuming that AP may still be in hospital at present - until tomorrow.

In that case, Monday is going to be a very exciting and special day for her. Our thoughts will be with you tomorrow, Joan, xxx and hope you'll soon be back here to tell us all about it. toast
Feather

Female

Chinese zodiac : Cat

Post by Feather on Tue 22 Sep 2015 - 22:35

I had a quick look at the Spiritual Inspiration forum recently. I used to be on it but left --feeling nauseated by the willingness to accept outrageous concepts as true beyond a doubt. It was no place for me. I would only have upset someone by the posts I would have been compelled to enter. annoyed

Post by mac on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 14:41

Feather wrote:I had a quick look at the Spiritual Inspiration forum recently. I used to be on it but left --feeling nauseated by the willingness to accept outrageous concepts as true beyond a doubt. It was no place for me. I would only have upset someone by the posts I would have been compelled to enter. annoyed
The quality of contributions is solely down to those who make them and I've spent plenty of time there debating issues.

I also find many postings - not just on SI but elsewhere - alien to what I've learned but over the years but I've eventually reached a point where I don't feel moved to present an alternative outlook. 

I don't think, though, that when I do occasionally present my view that it would upset anyone who isn't sensitive about their views being challenged.
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 15:12

That's the crux of the matter though, mac. Many people are very sensitive when it comes to outrageous beliefs. That's exactly why I left the forum rather than hurt someone's feelings by rubbishing their beliefs. There are many reasons why people believe what they do and some of them constitute the only way they can get through this life with peace of mind. I would hate to create doubts for these folk although I live with them all the time.I have to be true to myself and cannot --at this time--shake my own doubts. I wish I could, as then I would be a much happier and calmer person. I'm almost certain my anxiety and depression stem from not knowing for sure if death is annihilation.

Post by mac on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 17:20

Feather wrote:That's the crux of the matter though, mac. Many people are very sensitive when it comes to outrageous beliefs. That's exactly why I left the forum rather than hurt someone's feelings by rubbishing their beliefs. There are many reasons why people believe what they do and some of them constitute the only way they can get through this life with peace of mind. I would hate to create doubts for these folk although I live with them all the time.I have to be true to myself and cannot --at this time--shake my own doubts. I wish I could, as then I would be a much happier and calmer person. I'm almost certain my anxiety and depression stem from not knowing for sure if death is annihilation.
Oh dear - I didn't realise you were unsure about death. 

I know from experience of speaking to others that it's not easy for them to accept without some kind of personal 'key' to open the door to begin their journey towards eventual acceptance. Perhaps that's what you need?

Since I don't live with doubt about our survival I couldn't cause anyone else to doubt its veracity and where I can I try to help anyone genuinely seeking to understand more.

In terms of others' beliefs I would never dream of rubbishing them although I do challenge weak arguments.
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 17:37

I agree re a key but it's not straighforward, as what might be a key to one person may not be to another. It would depend on the degree or quality of proof they were prepared to accept as that key. Some would accept the appearance of a white feather on their toilet seat as their key. Others would not. Some would accept that a butterfly putting in multi appearances after the death of a loved one as their key. I would not. I have always thought proof is an absolute.

Post by mac on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 18:01

Feather wrote:I agree re a key but it's not straighforward, as what might be a key to one person may not be to another. It would depend on the degree or quality of proof they were prepared to accept as that key. Some would accept the appearance of a white feather on their toilet seat as their key. Others would not. Some would accept that a butterfly putting in multi appearances after the death of a loved one as their key. I would not. I have always thought proof is an absolute.
I didn't say just a key, I said a personal key.  Of course it has to have significance for the individual although bereavement is often a shared reason to go looking.  Proof of survival isn't necessarily obtainable but evidence often can be. 

Such issues are something I've considered for three decades.  And as I've written on SI for some time we've maybe 'met' there but with you using a different pseudonym....
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 21:50

That's about the same length of time that I've been researching this topic.
A key and a personal key are one and the same. If something is a key for you, then it's a personal key. The word "personal" is redundant, tautological.

I'm not looking for an individualised proof based on personal experience. All such experience is suspect in my opinion --for many reasons. The human brain, being an extremely complicated organ, is known to play tricks on us, including false memories, sights and sounds. I'm looking to science for answers. That's the kind of universal truth I would respect. Even now some scientists and other deep thinkers are researching possibilities which might show that the afterlife is part of Reality. I like to keep abreast of such research--as far as I can understand it--although it will not come to fruition in my lifetime. For me, the road lies with science, not with personal beliefs--- unless evolution of the human race and our cranial abilities reach the goal first.

Post by mac on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 22:58

Feather wrote:That's about the same length of time that I've been researching this topic.
A key and a personal key are one and the same. If something is a key for you, then it's a personal key. The word "personal" is redundant, tautological.

I'm not looking for an individualised proof based on personal experience. All such experience is suspect in my opinion --for many reasons. The human brain, being an extremely complicated organ, is known to play tricks on us, including false memories, sights and sounds. I'm looking to science for answers. That's the kind of universal truth I would respect. Even now some scientists and other deep thinkers are researching possibilities which might show that the afterlife is part of Reality. I like to keep abreast of such research--as far as I can understand it--although it will not come to fruition in my lifetime. For me, the road lies with science, not with personal beliefs--- unless evolution of the human race and our cranial abilities reach the goal first.
 The word 'key' was a euphemism.  Wink
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 23 Sep 2015 - 23:09

For what?

Post by mac on Thu 24 Sep 2015 - 8:38

Feather wrote:For what?
For what?  For a path of experience(s) apparently necessary sometimes to begin the process of acceptance of the notion of survival.

Such experiences can be awakening of latent psychic or mediumistic attributes, bereavement, near-death-experience or perhaps spontaneous astral travelling.  They are the kind of elements I meant as a "personal key". Wink

Researching evidence, looking for a scientific explanation etc. need no personal experience, no personal key.  But experiences such as those above can offer a different level of appreciation of what is found.  That happened with myself and with others I know.

Onlookers may see the outcome of such a journey as belief.  They are, of course, entitled to their opinions.   Smile
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Thu 24 Sep 2015 - 10:04

Good morning, mac. A euphemism is a more pleasant, more acceptable word or phrase which is used as a substitude for a more offensive term. Your use of "key" as a euphemism suggests that there is another, nastier word for it which could be " illusion", " hallucination",
 "imagination", even "madness". You use "key" metaphorically, not euphemistically. However, let that pass.

The key you mention is just a means of opening a new perspective on your experiences. Your key , for you, opens the probability or even certainty of the existence of an afterlife. My key would open the conviction that belief is not enough. I suggest that you believe rather than know these things. It is, of course, your choice as to what to call it.

Post by mac on Thu 24 Sep 2015 - 13:49

Feather wrote:Good morning, mac. A euphemism is a more pleasant, more acceptable word or phrase which is used as a substitude for a more offensive term. Your use of "key" as a euphemism suggests that there is another, nastier word for it which could be " illusion", " hallucination",
 "imagination", even "madness". You use "key" metaphorically, not euphemistically. However, let that pass.

The key you mention is just a means of opening a new perspective on your experiences. Your key , for you, opens the probability or even certainty of the existence of an afterlife. My key would open the conviction that belief is not enough. I suggest that you believe rather than know these things. It is, of course, your choice as to what to call it.
You're right!  Metaphor is what I should have said.  facepalm

The key for me did indeed bring about an unexpected perspective on events that had taken place.  Study and other experiences led to my present level of certainty concerning the notion of survival. 

Belief could never be enough for me.  You say your key would lead to the conviction that belief is not enough - do you not already have conviction about that?

As for the difference between belief and knowledge concerning survival I suspect it's very much a personal issue.  At one time I had belief about our survival but because of events in my life I now feel sure it's the case.  

The key leading to my getting there was personal to me.  Smile
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Thu 24 Sep 2015 - 14:02

I understand perfectly what you are saying--I think. Your personal experiences have convinced you that there is an afterlife. To be blunt, you're either living in a fools' paradise or you are very fortunate. I hope it's the latter. I have not had any such experiences and, if I had, I'd probably find another explanation for them. My doubts colour my life in shades of grey. I wish I could find the blue. If I did, I would be a much happier person.

Post by mac on Thu 24 Sep 2015 - 14:19

If it's a Fool's Paradise then it's a win-win situation.  If I'm wrong, and there's nothing beyond death, then I'll never know.  In the meantime my paradise enables my getting through life without stress and heartache about it.  Wrong or right I guess I'm fortunate.

I do hope that one day you, too, find whatever would turn your life from grey to blue.
Stardust

Post by Stardust on Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 22:34

How can we know while we're alive if there's anything after our death?

You have to be dead to find out if there's any kind of continuation.

Faith in an afterlife is perhaps more comfort than fact because a lot of people would be terrified by the alternative.

For my part, I haven't been able to decide yet on this question. I tend to agree with Feather, but yet some very strange things have happened after the deaths of several loved ones which I've never been able to explain, and therefore I'm still hoping these "signs" did actually mean something. But although when they happen it's overwhelming, with time doubt comes creeping back again.

There's no certitude and, as Feather indicates, the brain is capable of so much that can be misinterpreted, it's still too much of a mystery for us.

We must make the most of life and the loved ones around us, just in case this is all we get.

But I think somehow the light inside us must go somewhere, that eternal spark that cannot be quenched... and the love...

happyheart

Post by Stardust on Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 22:54

Feather wrote:I had a quick look at the Spiritual Inspiration forum recently. I used to be on it but left --feeling nauseated by the willingness to accept outrageous concepts as true beyond a doubt. It was no place for me. I would only have upset someone by the posts I would have been compelled to enter.

Is that the forum where some members remembered being such things as fruit in a previous lifetime, which is pretty extravagant, but who am I to say they weren't? There were a lot of good threads there though, a bit of everything for everyone, but after the founder passed it wasn't the same and I've not visited for years. Or is this a different forum you refer to, Feather?

I've just realized we've gone completely off topic from the original post in this thread. Oops!

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 11:05

Hello, Stardust. As ever, we're on the same wavelength. Lovely to talk to you again. It's cheered me up no end. Having someone who thinks in a parellel way to oneself is a great comfort. In that sense, you are my comfort.
I didn't know the founder had passed away from the forum we're talking about but there was another huge forum where that did happen . I remember his passing. He was quite young. The other site is called Spiritual Inspiration and is run by someone called Violet. Most people on there believe the most outrageous things.
I'm lazy this morning and am off for a shower now. Catch you later.xxx.

Post by mac on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 13:43

Feather wrote:Hello, Stardust. As ever, we're on the same wavelength. Lovely to talk to you again. It's cheered me up no end. Having someone who thinks in a parellel way to oneself is a great comfort. In that sense, you are my comfort.
I didn't know the founder had passed away from the forum we're talking about but there was another huge forum where that did happen . I remember his passing. He was quite young. The other site is called Spiritual Inspiration and is run by someone called Violet. Most people on there believe the most outrageous things.
I'm lazy this morning and am off for a shower now. Catch you later.xxx.
Matt Warne owned Spiritual Forums (SF) until his passing in late 2009 - he was a young man when he passed. That site still appears to have a great number of members with a wide range of interests. 

Spiritual Inspiration is indeed owned by Violet, coincidentally a former moderator on SF.  Members there come and go and the ideas of some presently active are pretty unusual.

One or both of you will know me from either of, or both, those websites as well as this one, always under my customary username.
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 14:15

You know me too, mac. I'm happy to reveal that Feather is no other than Searcher from SL and "The Psychic Barber" before that.:thumb:

Post by mac on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 17:19

ah, yes -  I know 'Searcher' - thanks for telling me.  I didn't know you as The Psychic Barber, though!  giggle
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 17:27

I have many hidden talents, mac.yay

Post by mac on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 17:59

Do you work as a barber?
Stardust

Post by Stardust on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 18:33

Mac:

Yes it was Matt I meant and you're right, it was Spiritual Forums.
I was also a member on Spritual Inspiration and Psychic Barber.

The username "Stardust" is quite popular I've noticed, so not the best choice I could have made as some might think we're all the same person.

I've seen Mac a few times on forums but I guess they're all the one and only you from what you write. 
Very Happy

--------------------------

Feather:

You're a comfort to me too, often a reflection of my own thoughts. Seeking the truth isn't always easy. confused. happyheart

Post by mac on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 19:57

Stardust wrote:Mac:

Yes it was Matt I meant and you're right, it was Spiritual Forums.
I was also a member on Spritual Inspiration and Psychic Barber.

The username "Stardust" is quite popular I've noticed, so not the best choice I could have made as some might think we're all the same person.

I've seen Mac a few times on forums but I guess they're all the one and only you from what you write. 
Very Happy

--------------------------

Feather:

You're a comfort to me too, often a reflection of my own thoughts. Seeking the truth isn't always easy. confused. happyheart
It was such a shock when Matt passed over and in my view his website hasn't ever been as good as when he was around. 

I'm heartened that what you've seen written by 'mac' is consistent with the way I write and the content.  If ever you see anything outside of my norm then it's probably a troll.  One has impersonated me on several occasions on various websites, always writing very differently from how I write and writing things you'll NEVER see me write.

I may be boring and predictable (sometimes challenging or controversial) but I do hope that what I write is always consistent!
mac

Post by mac on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 19:59

I misunderstood.  I thought that 'Psychic Barber' was a chosen username - I hadn't realised it was a website. giggle
Feather

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:10

To answer your question, mac, I am not a barber--never was. I am retired now but used to be an English teacher. That's why I knew the difference between metaphor and euphemism. Laughing

Female

Post by Whiskers on Sat 3 Oct 2015 - 18:38

The Psychic Barber was a very large popular forum about 10 years ago.  

I still have the email sent to all members giving the reasons for why it was closing down:
The Psychic Barber Forum

As many of you are aware there have been a number of problems with inappropriate postings and spam on the forum causing problems for many of our members. We are sorry for any problems you may have encountered and have decided to close the forum temporarily to address moderation issues and content management.

It was always our wish that the forum would be an open and friendly place for those who wanted to share their experiences and help each other to deal with grief and bereavement. It has become very apparent that in order to accomplish this we need to have much more moderation than we initially anticipated. I know that many of you have been trying to help on this front and all your comments and emails are very helpful and welcome.

We hope to get the forum up and running again very soon. Please feel free to send an email to mailto:janeellis@hayhouse.co.uk
with any ideas and comments you may have to help make the forum what we all want it to be - a place of integrity, friendly debate and, of course, some fun!

When it closed down a lot of its members joined the Spiritlove forum.

Current date/time is Wed 16 Aug 2017 - 15:55