KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

Video of the Week now showing on Light After Life Forum's Portal Page is: 'Superhuman: Geniuses - Real Stories'

[solved] Photobucket

mac
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Re: [solved] Photobucket

Post by mac on 20th July 2017, 12:54

I wonder if Photobucket was simply making a very strong point that its licensing arrangements we're being ignored?  It makes me wonder how long we will be able to enjoy free website use, especially when we Adblock users prevent the display of advertising that provides the revenue for service providers.
mac
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by mac on 20th July 2017, 12:56

Kitkat wrote::thumb:  All seems well, so far. 

Perhaps it only refers to any new Photobucket images.

So, I'll leave it like this for the moment - and obviously, if any members (or guests) notice any nuisance happenings, please let me know (by posting in the Open House Guest Area here - or alternatively through the Contact form (found down towards the very bottom of the board).  :thanks:
It wasn't as big a problem as SI experienced and even there the owner has resolved all the problems.
mac
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by mac on 20th July 2017, 12:57

Kitkat wrote:Now, I'm just doing this post as a test ... to see ...

Forumotion Support seem to have rectified the Photobucket problem throughout all the forums, by (as they said in their announcement above) disabling all the Photobucket images on the forums. 
That is why we haven't been getting those nasty black Photobucket notice boxes.  It works. 
Thanks Forumotion Support.  tacat Very Happy

Now they have made it a personal decision by the individual Forumotion admins - where we have the choice whether or not to disable the Photobucket images.  I have just (as an experiment) enabled them back again - to see if that action causes the boxes to appear all over the forums again.  If that is the case I will get that box up once I click on 'send' with this post.

I will follow up with a post after this to say what the result was there - and obviously if the nasty boxes are there again, I will disable all the Photobucket images again.
Maybe it's just a matter of time before Photobucket finally pulls the plug on unlicensed users?
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 20th July 2017, 13:59

mac wrote:Maybe it's just a matter of time before Photobucket finally pulls the plug on unlicensed users?

I think they've just done precisely that, with their recent action.

Fair enough if they want to get rid of the free usage and only deal with fee-paying account holders now - BUT for them to have implemented this sudden change WITHOUT NOTIFICATION OF ANY KIND to either free users or account holders, and have it instantly affect ALL existing images that have been downloaded (legitimately and in good faith) in the past - is a greedy and ruthless action worthy of nothing but disgust and disdain.  judge
mac
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by mac on 20th July 2017, 14:34

Kitkat wrote:
mac wrote:Maybe it's just a matter of time before Photobucket finally pulls the plug on unlicensed users?

I think they've just done precisely that, with their recent action.

Fair enough if they want to get rid of the free usage and only deal with fee-paying account holders now - BUT for them to have implemented this sudden change WITHOUT NOTIFICATION OF ANY KIND to either free users or account holders, and have it instantly affect ALL existing images that have been downloaded (legitimately and in good faith) in the past - is a greedy and ruthless action worthy of nothing but disgust and disdain.  judge
It seems that no-one there cares what others think although they do appear to have shot themselves in their feet!  If they also don't care if it affects their revenue then they have nothing to lose anyway but it's hard to reconcile their disregarding their earnings.

I just don't understand what the thinking there is....
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 20th July 2017, 14:49

One thing I did notice when I set 'yes' to Disable the display of Photobucket pictures on the forum : - was that Stardust's avatar disappeared from view on the Board Index - just left a blank everywhere that it should appear (maybe that turns into one of those black boxes depending on what action you are performing on the forum, I don't know ....
So, they remain 'enabled' for now, just in case ...

Speaking of which, we have not heard from Stardust around here for quite some time.  I hope it's nothing to do with whatever problems Photobucket has caused here.  surprised   Indeed, whatever the reason for her current prolonged absence, I do hope Stardust is OK; it's unusual for her not to have popped in for such a length of time.

If you can - and are - reading this, Stardust - hope all is well with you.  happyheart
mac
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by mac on 20th July 2017, 15:11

I'm struggling with Chrome for other reasons and I've switched to Opera where I don't have AdblockPlus.  Now there's a photobucket image obscuring the avatar area to the left of a posting!  But other than that nothing else seems changed.
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Post by Kitkat on 20th July 2017, 15:34

mac wrote:I'm struggling with Chrome for other reasons and I've switched to Opera where I don't have AdblockPlus.  Now there's a photobucket image obscuring the avatar area to the left of a posting!  But other than that nothing else seems changed.

Thanks for reporting that, mac. :thumb:

Now that has decided me - as from now, I am disabling the Photobucket images here on the forum - also on LAL (though there may not be so many PB images on there - but just in case ...

ETA:  Now I notice a lot of other things missing (which I hadn't even realised were PB images) - so that makes things easier now, I can get cracking on replacing those images.
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Solution to the Photobucket crisis

Post by Kitkat on 30th July 2017, 13:18

We now have our own image hosting account on the forum.  Now we can all post photos & pics direct from our own computer into a post here on the forum.  :thumb:

When you are making a post here (either posting a new topic 'Post new topic', or replying to someone else's post 'Post reply' - if you look at the toolbar above the space where you are typing your reply, you will see a new icon has appeared up there (up to the left of the YouTube one) ... (Hover your mouse over each icon to see what their function is)  The one just left of YouTube is for posting links, then left again next to that is the one for posting images - that's the one that's always been there - THEN left again next to that one is the new one (hover over it and it says 'Host an image').

Press that icon and a box comes up.  See the green bit where it says + Select files - click that and you are straight into your own computer.  Select & highlight the photo  or photos that you want to post from your computer - from wherever you have it in your computer - pictures/flicker/dropbox/FaceBook - wherever...,and click on 'open' down the bottom of the box (you can do up to 5 photos per message/post - I can change that number if anyone wishes) and then 'send'.  Clicking 'Insert' then will bring that or those photos instantly into your post!

Any problems, give me a shout - although I have to say I am not an expert in this regard, not by any shape or form.  It's new to me also and I am just happy to see that it does what it says on the tin.  geek   We all learn through our own experiences. Basketball
Kitkat
Admin Kat
Admin Kat

Photobucket alternatives:

Post by Kitkat on 9th August 2017, 10:46

This is quite an informative link to keep handy, listing a few alternatives to Photobucket:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650637/photobucket-alternatives/

Something for everyone in there; suitability depending on your needs.
Jamboree
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Post by Jamboree on 10th August 2017, 02:36

Kitkat wrote:This is quite an informative link to keep handy, listing a few alternatives to Photobucket:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650637/photobucket-alternatives/

Something for everyone in there; suitability depending on your needs.

Good to know link (the Bleeping Computer website).  :thumb:

Current date/time is 22nd October 2018, 17:54