KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

Dentist phobia to an extreme!

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Dentist phobia to an extreme! Empty Dentist phobia to an extreme!

Post by Kitkat Mon 08 Jun 2015, 18:02

A woman who was so terrified of dentists she stuck her own teeth back in - with superglue.
      shtum
    Dentist phobia to an extreme! Superglueteeth-581505
    Angie Barlow is so scared of dentists that she avoided them for a decade

Phobic Angie Barlow, 48, carried out dangerous DIY dentistry for more than a decade.

But the toxic chemicals meant she eventually lost 90 per cent of the bone supporting the teeth in her upper jaw.

And in the end dentists had to remove most of them and insert titanium pins to screw on false teeth and restore her smile.

Angie, a professional dog walker from Altrincham, Cheshire, developed her fear after losing her mother to throat cancer.

She said: “I’ve always been scared of the dentist because my mum died at 34 from throat cancer.

“She had a tooth out, and that’s how they found she had cancer.

“That fear has always been in the back of my mind… you just get your mind set and you just don’t go. You don’t make that phone call.”

Dentists who examined Angie think smoking may have been to blame for the initial damage to her teeth.

But in a new BBC documentary about teeth, viewers see her spend her life savings to have her smile rebuilt – in an operation that can cost up to £16,000.

Speaking before her operation, she told how she tried to keep the problem at bay using household glue.

“When the tooth comes out, I just put a little bit of glue and try and hold it in place to keep it, so I don’t have a gap in my teeth.

“I use glue on the top of the tooth, and then I put it back in place until the glue is set.”

She said she became reclusive because of her embarrassment, adding: “I just feel so self-conscious that I don’t go anywhere really. Even going in the shop, I feel embarrassed.

“They’d be like, nudge, nudge, look at her, you know.

“Even in front of my son I’m embarrassed to sit and have a conversation with him.”

Dr Serpil Djemal, consultant and clinical lead at Kings College Hospital, said: “It’s probably one of the worst cases I’ve seen and certainly one of the worse cases of desperation, to superglue a tooth back in the mouth.”

And in one cringe-worthy moment Angie pulls out her front teeth complete with superglue filler to the astonishment of private dentist Kailesh Salenki.

He said: “Really that’s a denture. She’s made herself a denture out of superglue, calculus…just having that out her mouth is going to make her mouth feel so much better.”

During the operation 11 of Angie’s top teeth were extracted and six titanium screws were inserted into her jaw with 12 new teeth permanently attached.

After the operation she said she felt ‘wonderful’. “I feel amazing.

“There are no hands over my mouth or embarrassment, and people have really noticed a difference in me. My friends say I’m much more outgoing.”

Angie’s story features in a BBC two-part series called ‘The Truth About Your Teeth ‘ broadcast at 9pm on Thursday June 4 and 11.

http://bcove.me/1h2iu3a2

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:20