KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Hypnotist Thief

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Hypnotist Thief  Empty Hypnotist Thief

Post by Kitkat Thu 04 Dec 2014, 22:02

No link to this at present, but Crimewatch have just featured footage on camera of a thief who somehow managed to hypnotise a shop worker while he proceeded to pick his pocket and also steal the day's takings.  The Crimewatch team seem baffled about what actually happened there.

There have been a few of these "hypnotist thief" cases reported in the past - like this one from 6 years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7309947.stm

'Hypnotist' thief hunted in Italy

Police in Italy have issued footage of a man who is suspected of hypnotising supermarket checkout staff to hand over money from their cash registers.

In every case, the last thing staff reportedly remember is the thief leaning over and saying: "Look into my eyes", before finding the till empty.

In the latest incident captured on CCTV, he targeted a bank at Ancona in northern Italy, then calmly walked out.

A female bank clerk reportedly handed over nearly 800 euros (£630).

The cashier who was shown the video footage has no memory of the incident, according to Italian media, and only realised what had happened when she saw the money missing.

CCTV from the bank showed her apparently being hypnotised by the man, according to the reports.

Italian police believe the suspect could be of Indian or North African extraction.

and here an episode from one of Derren Brown's programmes, with a narrated explanation of how he is believed to have carried it off:

Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Hypnotist Thief  Empty Re: Hypnotist Thief

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 06 Dec 2014, 09:47

I doubt that it will really be a case of hypnotism.

I know that some people (where's Terry these days?) like to believe that things such as hypnotism, NLP, etc., can be used to influence or manipulate people - even against their will - but it's a myth.

Hypnotism is a real effect, but it requires compliance from the subject.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 06 Dec 2014, 16:23

Well, I suppose the way to find out is to check out the follow-up to the Crimewatch programme.
    They are bound to get some feedback from the public regarding putting a name at least to the face of the robber captured on film, as it does give a very clear picture of what he looks like. Not so with the victim, which only shows him from the back. There is of course every possibility that the film clip is a staged, rehearsed scene, part of a publicity stunt for a wannabe theatrical magician or mentalist, with the alleged victim being his accomplice all along - the film and story being sent to the TV programme in a cleverly planned PR stunt.

Be interesting to see what transpires from this on the Crimewatch programme.
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Sat 06 Dec 2014, 17:50

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the programme. I'm just going from my knowledge of hypnotism.

IIRC, that case in Italy turned out not to be a case of hypnotism in reality. It was something like the 'victim(s)' being a part of the theft. i.e. pretending to be hypnotised so their accomplice could take the money.

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Sat 06 Dec 2014, 18:20

Umberto Cocopop wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't seen the programme. I'm just going from my knowledge of hypnotism.

IIRC, that case in Italy turned out not to be a case of hypnotism in reality. It was something like the 'victim(s)' being a part of the theft. i.e. pretending to be hypnotised so their accomplice could take the money.

Ah, now I never did hear the outcome to that case. So yes, possibly the victim here - shop-worker (maybe not the owner but someone who works there) could be in on the plot.

Significant, though, is the fact that we get a very good picture on camera of the face of the thief, but the 'victim' is always shown with his back to the camera. So, I would be more inclined to go with the first theory (i.e. someone who actually wants to get noticed - in an attempt at self-publicity for their 'act'.)
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 09 Dec 2014, 17:00

Scotland Yard today released the shop’s CCTV footage which captured the bizarre incident at around 9.45pm on September 11.

The recorded CCTV clip can be viewed here:  http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/05/hypnotist-thief-robs-shopkeeper-london-trance

and from  http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/moment-hypnotist-put-shopkeeper-in-a-trance-before-stealing-hundreds-of-pounds-in-cash-9904960.html

Detective Sergeant Dave Bullock said: “The victim remained motionless and unable to stop the robbery taking place. He said that he was momentarily unaware of what had happened to him.

BBC Three magician Damien O’Brien suggested the Mr Haider may have been previously hypnotised by the man to implant “trigger” words into his subconscious, suggesting the suspect had visited the shop in advance.

He said: “You can never hypnotise someone on the first go, you warm them up. I would have thought he has already gone in there before and done some pre-suggestive stuff.

“He may have said on an earlier visit that the next time he comes in and touches the man on the shoulder he is going to go into a relaxed trance and will let him go into his pockets.

“The shoulder touch could be a trigger.”

Actually, looking at that clip again, there is no mention of the other guy that comes into the shop -and just stands in the same place without moving and has his arm right across the gangway - where the robber has to pass. When he does go to leave, he has to squeeze past that guy - and looks to me that he may well have passed on the stolen stuff to this guy in doing so. An accomplice!
    agedone
    agedone

Post by agedone Tue 23 Dec 2014, 15:15

Re the robbery with Hypnosis, I have not read the above so you will have to excuse any duplication.
    I saw this in the paper, first thing that come to mind was. Pattern Interupt. We learn to shake hands, it becomes a programme in the unconscious mind. Derren Brown uses it a lot. Before he became well known, he would go to Walthamstow dog track, have a losing ticket, take it to get it paid out, bang on the wooden shuttering and say, this is a winning ticket, and they would pay him. if we are surprised in any way, we are lost for up to ten seconds,
    that is when we are open to suggestion. Derren Brown demonstrated this on TV on the Blackpool prom. In the pretence of asking directions, carrying a map, would ask the victim for directions, stand beside them, looking at the map, jerk their elbow/arm, then ask for their wallet and watch, which they handed over, after a short period you could see them asking themselves, what happened, chase after DB and get their goods back. After 20 odd years giving talks and demos, telling people you cannot be hypnotised against your will, in a talk the other evening, I had to explain. The other method is the non hand shake, again it is Pattern Interupt. He offers his hand, the programme we run means we put our hand out, he takes the wrist, raises the hand and slaps it on your forhead, again it is in the approx ten seconds, he can tell you what he wants you to do.
    The other suggestion, was he had seen the victim before, set up what is known as an anchor. a touch a word, to recall the instruction, Paul McKenna used it a lot.
    all this is on u-tube.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Tue 23 Dec 2014, 18:19

agedone wrote:Re the robbery with Hypnosis, I have not read the above so you will have to excuse any duplication.
    I saw this in the paper, first thing that come to mind was. Pattern Interupt. We learn to shake hands, it becomes a programme in the unconscious mind. Derren Brown uses it a lot. Before he became well known, he would go to Walthamstow dog track, have a losing ticket, take it to get it paid out, bang on the wooden shuttering and say, this is a winning ticket, and they would pay him. if we are surprised in any way, we are lost for up to ten seconds,
    that is when we are open to suggestion. Derren Brown demonstrated this   on TV on the Blackpool prom. In the pretence of asking directions, carrying a map, would ask the victim for directions, stand beside them, looking at the map, jerk their elbow/arm, then ask for their wallet and watch, which they handed over, after a short period you could see them asking themselves, what happened, chase after DB and get their goods back. After 20 odd years giving talks and demos, telling people you cannot be hypnotised against your will, in a talk the other evening, I had to explain. The other method is the non hand shake, again it is Pattern Interupt. He offers his hand, the programme we run means we put our hand out, he takes the wrist, raises the hand and slaps it on your forhead, again it is in the approx ten seconds, he can tell you what he wants you to do.
    The other suggestion, was he had seen the victim before, set up what is known as an anchor. a touch a word, to recall the instruction, Paul McKenna used it a lot.
    all this is on u-tube.  

Hi Terry!  Great to see you here.   :thumb:

Here is the captured CCTV recording of that news story:  

Do you reckon you could get away with doing this at your local corner shop, agedone?  

Or ... how about NLP-ing your way out of getting a speeding ticket - like yer man here?
    (Actually, this guy reminds me of my ex husband - he even looks like him ... this is precisely the way and the sort of thing he could, and did, talk himself out of.  I witnessed it no end of times.  Pretty sure there was no hypnotism involved though - he basically had the proverbial gift of the gab!)   giggle

They say that not everybody is susceptible to being hypnotised.  D'you reckon that's why he doesn't get away with it every time?
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Wed 24 Dec 2014, 14:15

Oh, magicians do this on the telly. I didn't realise that.

It must be true then. :thumb:
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Wed 24 Dec 2014, 18:40

Hi Terry. How are you doing? So nice to see you around again. I hope you are well settled now in your new house. Have a lovely Christmas. And hoping to hear more from you. happyheart

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:01