KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

“X is bad. Y is worse." ... Don't forget about Z !

Kitkat
    Kitkat

“X is bad. Y is worse."  ... Don't forget about Z ! Empty “X is bad. Y is worse." ... Don't forget about Z !

Post by Kitkat Tue 05 Aug 2014, 15:26

A recent post on the Skeps forum:  http://skeps.freeforums.org/post12158.html#p12158

highlights an article recently penned by Richard Dawkins, headed
    'Are there emotional no-go areas where logic dare not show its face?'

I am in total agreement with the sentiments expressed therein by Mr D, which can be summarised by the following quotes extracted from the article:

“X is bad. Y is worse. If you think that’s an endorsement of X, go away and don’t come back until you’ve learned how to think properly.”

"Nothing should be off limits to discussion. No, let me amend that. If you think some things should be off limits, let’s sit down together and discuss that proposition itself. Let’s not just insult each other and cut off all discussion because we rationalists have somehow wandered into a land where emotion is king."

The full article can be read here: arrow https://richarddawkins.net/2014/07/are-there-emotional-no-go-areas-where-logic-dare-not-show-its-face/
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

“X is bad. Y is worse."  ... Don't forget about Z ! Empty Re: “X is bad. Y is worse." ... Don't forget about Z !

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 07 Aug 2014, 18:49

As usual, I'm in complete agreement with Dawkins.

There are issues that people get so emotionally engaged with that it's like a form of 'secular blasphemy' to question anything about them. He gives some excellent examples.

It's these sorts of emotionally-driven responses to issues that's a major reason for me no longer posting on forums etc.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 22:29