KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

2 posters

Freecycle

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Freecycle Empty Freecycle

Post by Kitkat Sun 13 Jul 2014, 14:38

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 5,142 groups with 7,631,660 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on 'Browse Groups' above the search box. Have fun!

Link:  https://www.freecycle.org/

It really does work.  I first found out about FreeCycle through a colleague of mine at work, who furnished her entire new flat with items she had acquired from FreeCycle ... all completely free!  3-piece suite, wardrobe, wide flat-screen TV, dining table and chairs ... etc - even a perfectly workable dishwasher!

We're not talking about rubbish collection here - these are perfectly usable items (sometimes unwanted gifts still in the box) which are basically being recycled - for free, hence the name FreeCycle.

FreeCycle works all around the country and has been set up in other countries also.
    You can either seek to offer (for anyone interested, to come and take away) or receive (you go to collect) - anything from a tin of soup, cushions, comic collection - to a coffee table, computer, chest of drawers, wardrobe.  In fact - anything you can think of, you're bound to find at some stage through the FreeCycle site.

All you need to do when you first join up is fill in the details of the surrounding areas convenient for you to collect the items on offer.  (You have to collect yourself, so if there are any large items where you need help with lifting etc, you would need to arrange for yourself the suitable transport and help required with lifting etc)
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Freecycle Empty Re: Freecycle

Post by Whiskers Mon 14 Jul 2014, 19:01

Wow! This is brilliant if it works!  Had alook through the link, it covers every area in the whole country, breaking it down from regions to areas to towns to neighbourhoods ect.  They have their own Facebook pages too.

First one I read in is a warning about scammers on there though!  In the Manchester area .

Dear Manchester Freecycle Members,

Please read this warning on scammers targeting Freecycle.org

If you have placed a Wanted request on our group and get a reply from someone offering to send over the item by Courier, it is a scam. These criminals are working hard, we have had several reports sent to us.

They are also posting OFFERS for items, we are doing our best to stop these before they go live.

You can often tell it's a criminal by the format of their email address, they will have several so they organise them by having sequential numbers at the end like:

Imascammer+44@gmail.c

Imascammer+45@gmail.c

Imascammer+46@gmail.c

You can also tell it's a scam by the way they reply. Here are some examples of the common phrasing they use:

still in need?what is your full home delivery address?

hello delivery Duration.. less 2 HOURS MAX actually it will cost me 10 pounds to send it over to you asap today. what is your address? Greetings

I wok at DHL technical help desk and can arrange delivery...

Since the webmaster took so long to approve my post I've had to relocate. I can send to you if you pay for delivery...

If anyone makes any attempt to have you pay for delivery/ pay for an item, please forward the message to us AS WELL AS REPORT IT. Even if no money has been lost, the attempt alone is a crime and needs to be reported to Action Fraud.

You can contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040. This is considered a national (in the UK) phone number by most phone companies, so it is likely free at least on weekends, but your calls package may be different.

Alternatively you can report a scam attempt to Action Fraud online at: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

Be wary of too good to be true offers- replies to your posts are not visible to us, and though the mod team scrutinises all posts, even we make mistakes!

If you get such a reply from another member please forward the details to cityofmanchesterfreecyclemods@gmail.com with **care of lead mod** in the subject line.

The Freecycle Network technical team are working very hard to keep one step a head of them but it is a up hill battle.

YOUR FEEDBACK AS MEMBERS HAS BEEN OUR BEST WEAPON AGAINST THESE CRIMINALS, THANK YOU MANCHESTER!!!

Moderator Team City Of Manchester Freecycle UK http://www.Freecycle.org

Changing the world one gift at a time

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:00