KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

4 posters

Hoax or Fact ?

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Hoax or Fact ? Empty Hoax or Fact ?

Post by Kitkat Mon 05 May 2014, 18:37

Found this great reference site, similar in a way to Snopes - which is a useful site for checking out the many so-called "facts" which litter the Net, a lot of which turn out to be rumours and urban legends.

This new site is called Hoax or Fact.  Link:  http://www.hoaxorfact.com/

I came across it because I was interested to find this bit of information about bananas which I had not heard before.  

Hoax or Fact ? 1234089_379936312134902_536786661_n

I was inclined to think this may be a hoax, so checked it out on the net.  According to Hoax or Fact, it is apparently a fact!  One that is good to know.  

Full Ripe Banana with Dark Patches Combats Abnormal Cells and Cancer - Facts Analysis

Story:
    According to Japanese Scientific Research, full ripe banana with dark patches on yellow skin produces a substance called TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor) which has the ability to combat abnormal cells. The more darker patches it has the higher will be its immunity enhancement quality; Hence, the riper the banana the better the anti-cancer quality. Yellow skin banana with dark spots on it is 8x more effective in enhancing the property of white blood cells than green skin version.
    Eating 1-2 banana/s a day increases immunity.
    Please pass/share and stay healthy.

Hoax or Fact:

Fact.

Analysis:
    It is a fact that nutrient content of fruits change slightly as they ripen. As a banana ripens and turns yellow, its levels of antioxidants increases. These antioxidants in ripe bananas protect your body against cancer and heart diseases. But while overripe bananas certainly have nutritional value, they also lose some benefits. In full ripe bananas with dark spots on skin, the starch content changes to simple sugars that are easier to digest and may raise your blood glucose levels quickly, but it could be harmful for people with diabetes. Also, the micronutrients like vitamins and minerals decrease as the bananas ripen.

Tumor Necrosis Factor(TNF-α) is a cytokine, substances secreted by certain cells of the immune system that have an effect on other cells. This is indeed helpful in fighting abnormal turmor cells in body. Research done on ripening bananas has proved that the levels of TNF-α induction increased markedly with dark spots on skin before the entire banana peel turned brown. The research concluded that the activity of banana was comparable to that of Lentinan, a chemical immunostimulant that is intravenously administered as an anti-cancer agent. So, ripe banana can act as an anti-cancer agent by stimulating the production of white blood cells in the human cell line.

Both green and yellow bananas are high fiber foods rich in potassium, vitamin B6, fiber, and vitamin C. They have high calorific value because of their high sugar levels. A medium sized banana provides about 105 calories. Also, bananas are very good for our Gastro-Intestinal tract and aid in digestion. Therefore, eating one or two bananas is indeed good for health. Once bananas ripen fully, store them in the refrigerator to minimize further vitamin loss. Fresh bananas with brown patches on the skin are ripe enough to eat immediately. Make sure to avoid over-ripe bananas whose skin has turned brown or split open.

And yes, you can share this healthy information with everyone.

References:
    Nutritional benefits of Bananas
    Japanese research regarding Bananas
    Tumor Necrosis Factor
    Lentinan
    Stardust
    Stardust

Hoax or Fact ? Empty Re: Hoax or Fact ?

Post by Stardust Wed 07 May 2014, 14:24

That's amazing!

I eat my bananas yellow before they get too sweet.

When they start having dark patches on the skin I flambé them with rum.
    I wonder if the TNF is destroyed by cooking?

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 07 May 2014, 19:19

Stardust wrote:I eat my bananas yellow before they get too sweet.
    Yes, I find they're more palative when not so sweet.

Stardust wrote:When they start having dark patches on the skin I flambé them with rum.
    Mmmmmmm .... I like that idea.  :thumb: 

I wonder if the TNF is destroyed by cooking?
    Probably.  As with everything, it's a case of balance though, isn't it.  We have to remember too that [apparently] the body produces its own form of TNF, and in some cases too much of it!  For each individual there are different needs and different benefits.  For instance, the riper the banana gets the more natural sugar is produced; and for that reason alone - not advisable for diabetics.

More interesting facts about bananas (including 10 tip-top benefits):
    http://www.yestolifenow.com/full-ripe-banana-with-dark-patches/
    Umberto Cocopop
    Umberto Cocopop

Post by Umberto Cocopop Thu 08 May 2014, 07:23

As there's no good evidence that anti-oxidants actually do protect against cancer and heart disease, I'll take this with a pinch of salt, forget about bananas, and stick to drinking rum.
    Whiskers
    Whiskers

Post by Whiskers Sun 11 May 2014, 21:46

No real problem for me. I'm allergic to bananas! pale  Give me a rum any day.  toast   cat 
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 14 May 2014, 14:16

For instance, the riper the banana gets the more natural sugar is produced; and for that reason alone - not advisable for diabetics.

Having said that, though, - someone I used to work with has been diabetic since she was 12 (now in her 40's) and has to inject every day. She maintains a regularly controlled diet, not allowing sugar, chocolate, cakes or anything like that since she was at school. Yet, she eats a banana every day - and always carries a Mars bar with her (for emergency, possible coma etc).
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Hoax or Fact ? Empty Is this a hoax - or a genuine cry for help?

Post by Kitkat Fri 27 Jun 2014, 18:53

Two separate incidents of labels found sewn into garments in items of clothing bought from Primark stores in Swansea - are thought to be "most likely a hoax".  That does seem to be a likely conclusion, considering both items were actually manufactured in different countries - one in India and one somewhere else ...

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG10931276/Primark-call-cry-for-help-labels-a-hoax.html

However, this one is different - a handwritten note written in Chinese on a piece of paper found in the pocket of a pair of trousers bought in Northern Ireland.  Could this find be a genuine cry for help?
    a third, found inside a pair of trousers bought from the brand's Belfast branch, Primark said they are continuing to investigate the issue. The note, hand-written on a piece of paper in Chinese, said: "We are prisoners in the Xiang Nan prison of the Hubei province in China. Our job inside the prison is to produce fashion clothes for export. We work 15 hours per day and the food we eat wouldn't even be given to dogs or pigs. We work as hard as oxen in the field. We call on the international community to condemn the Chinese government for the violation of our human rights!"

Separate article reports on the Belfast find - here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28018137

Hoax or Fact ? _75819330_chinasosnoteclose-upjune2014(2)

h

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 23:01