KRAZY KATS

Welcome to Krazy Kats - a friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about. Open 24/7 for chat & chill. Come and join us!

3 posters

Did you know ..... ?

Kitkat
    Kitkat

Did you know ..... ? Empty Did you know ..... ?

Post by Kitkat Fri 08 Nov 2013, 14:19

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which  means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of  times!

Gold is the only metal that doesn't rust, even if it's  buried in the ground for thousands of years.

Your  tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one  end.

If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more  water. When a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts  off.

Each year 2,000,000 smokers either quit smoking or die  of tobacco-related diseases.

Zero is  the only number that cannot be represented by Roman numerals.

Kites  were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and  newspapers.

The song, Auld Lang Sine, is sung at the stroke of  midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the  new year.

Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your  mouth by 61 percent.

Peanut  oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn't smoke unless it's  heated above 450F.

The roar  that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but  rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

Nine out  of every 10 living things live in the ocean.

The  banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of  man.

Airports at higher altitudes require a longer airstrip  due to lower air density.

The  University  of Alaska  spans four time zones.

The tooth  is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself.

In  ancient Greece ,  tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. Catching it  meant she accepted.

Warner  Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song Happy  Birthday.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their  hair.

A comet's tail always points away from the  sun.

The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and  illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.

Caffeine  increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, that is why it is found in  some medicines.

The military salute is a motion that evolved from  medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their  identity.

If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney  and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day.

When a  person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is  sight.

In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they  were unarmed.

Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the  outside.

Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167  calories per hundred grams.

The moon  moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.

The Earth  gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.

Due to  earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000  meters.

Mickey Mouse is known as "Topolino" in Italy .

Soldiers  do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a  vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.

Everything weighs one percent less at the  equator.

For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530  kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off.

The  letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the  elements.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Did you know ..... ? Empty Re: Did you know ..... ?

Post by Stardust Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:14

Kitkat wrote:

Peanut  oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn't smoke unless it's  heated above 450F.

I didn't know that. Not that I use peanut oil for cooking, I'm an olive oil fan myself.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 11 Jan 2017, 14:16

Did you know...
    that blue tits can have up to 18 chicks at one time. Poor parents must get worn out trying to feed them all.
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Wed 11 Jan 2017, 17:06

Hmm ... I wish I could remember where those snippets came from in the first place. Should have put links with the post, pointing to the source.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Wed 11 Jan 2017, 20:34

I had a look on the internet but couldn't find that one, but here's another one:
    http://www.did-you-knows.com/
    e.g. "An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain."!!! Shocked

More interesting facts here (already posted under another topic for the cat facts, but there are plenty of other subjects):
    https://www.factretriever.com/
    Jamboree
    Jamboree

Post by Jamboree Thu 12 Jan 2017, 00:39

Did you know ...

that a factoid is a "fact" that is told as true or believed to be true, but is actually false ?

Many on the above list fall into the category of factoid.   judge
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Thu 12 Jan 2017, 09:47

Jamboree wrote:Did you know ...

that a factoid is a "fact" that is told as true or believed to be true, but is actually false ?

Many on the above list fall into the category of factoid.   judge

What list are you referring to, Jamboree?  If it's the items in my OP, I can't see a falsehood in any of them. 
    Can you elaborate, please?
    Stardust
    Stardust

Did you know ..... ? Empty Chickens are brighter than you think

Post by Stardust Mon 16 Jan 2017, 21:42

I thought there wasn't a creature much more silly than a chicken, but then I read this:
    http://www.treehugger.com/animals/6-fascinating-facts-about-chickens.html

Chickens are good at basic arithmetic. Shocked cheesy drunken
    Kitkat
    Kitkat

Post by Kitkat Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:44

Some more Did you know facts:

• 1% of people are left handed
    • August has the highest percentage of births
    • Unless food is mixed with saliva you can't taste it
    • The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes
    • A bear has 42 teeth
    • An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain
    • Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries
    • 8% of people have an extra rib
    • 85% of plant life is found in the ocean
    • Ralph Lauren's original name was Ralph Lifshitz
    • Rabbits like licorice
    • The Hawaiian alphabet has 13 letter
    • A lobster's blood is colourless but when exposed to oxygen it turns blue
    • Armadillos have 4 babies at a time and are all the same sex
    • Did you know reindeer like bananas
    • The longest recorded flight of a chicken was 13 seconds
    • Birds need gravity to swallow
    • The most commonly used letter in the alphabet is E
    • The 3 most common languages in the world are Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and English
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Tue 24 Jan 2017, 19:55

25 facts about Britain:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/25-great-facts-about-britain-new-1421248

N° 19
    According to the Law Commission, contrary to popular belief, it’s not illegal for a man to urinate in public if it is on the rear wheel of his vehicle and his right hand is on the car.

surprised Shocked Evil or Very Mad
    Stardust
    Stardust

Did you know ..... ? Empty Biggest trees

Post by Stardust Sat 28 Jan 2017, 21:05

17 biggest trees in the world.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 08:42